I have not seen this reported on Crackberry, but there is an article that shows how BlackBerry is planning to monetize BBM:

SMS is Losing, but Operators Can Still Win | | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

BBMs Different Tack: Partnership
    While others are going head-to-head with operators, BlackBerry wants to work with operators. Today, BBM-carrier partnership opportunities fall into two broad categories.

The first is offering BBM to carriers as a channel for delivering ads, content or payment solutions directly to their wireless subscribers. This is available in markets of BBM strength, where over 10% of the smartphone population uses it (Indonesia, South Africa, etc.). As most operators have set up internal teams focused on these opportunities, they dont have the destination site to monetize them fully.

BBM is that destination. Because of our high levels of engagement (72% of our monthly active users employ BBM daily), BBM offers a highly effective way to merchandise carrier offerings to customers. The business model is based on revenue sharing.
    10-03-14 09:20 AM
    Content is cool. Payment solutions are cool. interactive services would be cool.

Ads are not cool. I rage until my eyes explode when I get text spam. DIAF.
    10-03-14 09:35 AM
    Yeah, I hate ads too, I avoid them as much as humanly possible. Sad truth is they have to figure out how to monetize these services and perhaps partnering with the telcos is the best option. I heard that Twitter has done nothing but lose money to the tune of billions of dollars. I hope BlackBerry can find a way without ads.
    10-03-14 09:44 AM