I don't get it
    A poor signal can kill your battery as the phone has to boost the antenna to maintain a signal and also to scan for closer cell towers.
    04-09-13 05:52 PM
    I don't get it
    The harder your device fights for a signal, the more power you use. Are you using EDGE? 3G? HSPA+/LTE? WiFi?

The type of connection you have makes a difference on what type of battery life you will be having.
    04-09-13 05:53 PM
    Curious, do you hear this when you sleep?

04-09-13 05:56 PM
    my iphone used to do this all the time when i would leave it in the bed charging! not a good idea lol
    04-09-13 07:27 PM
    Tinfoil hat 1.00.1.00.1 works good for underpillow recharging on 10.0.10.85.
    Last edited by nnomad; 04-09-13 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Tinfoilhat V# RUSH
    04-09-13 07:48 PM
    Is this thread a joke? You seriously left an electronic device plugged in under your pillow? Your pillow?

Darwin almost came looking for you, it's a good thing you woke up when you did.

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    southlander and Dave Bourque like this.
    04-09-13 08:17 PM
    It's funny that you put an electronic device under the pillow and thought it was okay

Posted via CB10
    jesse_h likes this.
    04-09-13 10:41 PM
    Regardless of why it was put under the pillow there should probably be an auto shutdown if the internal temperature rises too high.
    04-09-13 11:45 PM
    Depending on your cell connection, yes.
    Poor reception will drain the battery because the radio is going nuts trying to be connected.

Switch from LTE to HSPA and see if it makes a big difference.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 12:53 AM
    Thanks guys but I always keep it there
    Ita been a month and a half and it always been charging there
    This is the first time this happens
    Gonna stop doing it anyway
    But I need to know if this has damaged the phone or the battery :'(
    Oh the radiation to your brain from this...I advise to stop asap

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    04-10-13 02:04 AM
    Thanks guys but I always keep it there
    Ita been a month and a half and it always been charging there
    This is the first time this happens
    Gonna stop doing it anyway
    But I need to know if this has damaged the phone or the battery :'(
    Only you can tell if it is damaged. Is it working ok or not?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 12:00 AM
    Regardless of why it was put under the pillow there should probably be an auto shutdown if the internal temperature rises too high.
    There definitely are things like this in the system, though as I don't have the full design in front of me I couldn't say I'd want to rely on it 100%.

Lithium batteries have serious risks associated with overheating. Because of the protections the designers build in (to the battery and to the phone) I doubt there's any big problem with doing something like this, but even so I would never do it myself. I'm an engineer, but I still don't put blind faith in the ability of engineers to protect us against all eventualities.

Protect yourself and your device by not doing this. If it's an issue of security (to protect against someone stealing it), find a way to lock it down, maybe with a small, ventilated box that you can attach securely to the bed.

As noted by many above, blocking the radio signal will result in it boosting the transmitter power to compensate, which will increase battery usage. Covering it with insulating material will result in it not shedding heat as successfully. The combination will result in it getting much hotter than it normally should and, even with thermal protection mechanisms in place to shut it down, you ARE clearly increasing the risk of actual damage. Just find another way please.

(Putting it in airplane mode first would likely be an excellent way to deal with it... power consumption is so low then that it should never be an issue. I'd feel comfortable doing that, personally, though it's still your own choice whether to do it.)
    04-11-13 08:34 AM
    Give the phone a nicotine patch. Problem solved.

Posted via CB10
    jesse_h likes this.
    04-11-13 09:03 AM
    Begin Sarcasm:

A few years ago I needed to hammer in a loose nail but I didn't have any tools with me, so I used my Torch 9800 to do it. I had done this once before and the phone survived, but this time I got a serious scratch on the back of the phone. I think it might be a BlackBerry design problem. I really need this feature on my Z10 now.

End Sarcasm.

Under the pillow? Really? I can think of 2 big reasons not to do this. Fire and the effect of EMR on one's most important part of the body - the brain.

Please don't take my reply the wrong way. I only posted out of concern for my fellow CBers.

For me, I'm waiting to see if some company will produce a stand/dock for the Z10 so I can put it on my bedside table.

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-11-13 09:21 AM
    Had the same problem. I went shopping with a friend and kept the phone in my jacket's pocket. At the cashier I wanted to grab it, but it was super hot. The screen was black and locked. So i removed the battery, gave it time to cool down and rebooted. The phone is working, but I'm worried about the chips and the battery. I have no clue why it happened.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 08:59 PM
    Mine did this last week. It was sitting on my desk (not charging). I went to pick it up and nearly dropped it because it was so hot. The screen was black and locked up. All I could do was pull the battery. Not sure what caused it, but it did scare the cr@p out of me!
    It's been working fine since, but like you I am concerned of any damage it may have caused.
    Exact same thing just happened with me. Only phone was in my pocket, in a location where there is plenty of service. I thought the sun was on my leg but when I looked down and see if wasn't I freaked out a little. Phone screen was black and very hot. I have battery guru which tells you the battery temperature so I know what 90 degrees F feels like. If estimate the battery was at or very close to 110 or even higher. What's going on here?

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 02:35 PM
    Phone screen was black and very hot. I have battery guru which tells you the battery temperature so I know what 90 degrees F feels like. If estimate the battery was at or very close to 110 or even higher. What's going on here?
    Battery Guru records the data, as long as you had it running. (Background service support coming in future, when BB provides the required APIs.)

If you had it running, you can export the data to CSV (under the Records page) and you'll be able to see exactly what the temperature was during that incident (and the power level).

Unless the phone is completely toasted now, of course...
    04-15-13 03:10 PM
    Yeah unfortunately I didn't have it running.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 03:30 PM
43 12