Back in 2008, if you told me I had to switch from my BlackBerry Bold 9000, to lets say another popular phone at that time, lets say an LG shine I without a doubt couldn't. There were just too many competitive differences between the two, which could never warrant me switching to another phone. The Bold 9000 and LG shine were worlds apart, in my opinion the 9000 being the much better phone. The differences between phones back in those days were huge. Both hardware and software. If you took my BlackBerry away from me back then, I probably couldnt get on with my day to day life as there was nothing that could serve my needs similar to it and handle emails, and BBM's like it can.

Fast forward to today, if you took my Z10 away from me, and gave me another phone, lets say an S4 or iPhone. Would I not like it? Of course, I would miss the keyboard and hub lots, but could I still function day to day? Absolutely. Like Kevin O'Leary said, phones now a days are all practically the same. They serve all the same purposely equally well, with only a few factors separating them.

My question is, when do you guys think the phone market will be disrupted again like it was when BlackBerry first came out, then iPhone?

What will it take? And who will likely do it?
    11-27-13 10:20 PM
    Precisely. They are all the same, the only things that affect sales are cost and brand loyalty.

Smartphones, like computers, have peaked. Any new innovative feature a vendor creates will be instantly ripped off.

The next thing that will disrupt the markets won't be a phone, it will be a whole new tech like wearable devices (glasses/watches)

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 10:27 PM
    Great topic.

It's tempting to say cliches like "mobile computing", but I just don't see that being much of a breakthrough. We're basically there already - the next few steps are just putting the pieces together.

I think the next breakthrough will come with ubiquitous mobile devices. Essentially, devices that are a part of you and a part of your environment to the extent that they are a) no longer noticeable, and b) interacting with them is no longer noticeable (it becomes second nature). Google Glass, I think, approaches this level of ubiquity. As nanotechnology and bio computing evolves, this is where I see the next breakthrough happening.

I doubt BlackBerry will be at the cutting edge of this sort of thing, but that doesn't mean it won't have a prosperous and long future.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 10:34 PM
    I think the next disruption would be some kind of holographic projection of interaction with the device. Hehehe

Sent from the best touch keyboard, the Z.
    11-27-13 11:06 PM
    All smartphones and tablets these days do the same things, they just have different ways of doing them. I have my own preferences, but any of the major OSs out there would serve me reasonably well if I had to use just one.

I do think at some point, the technology will move towards something along the lines of what Thorsten Heins was suggesting. Not so much that the phone will power a dumb monitor or tablet, but more so the phone increasingly becoming your identity and allowing interface to a broad range of devices, appliances, wireless terminals etc that would offer customized experiences based upon what's on your phone.
    11-28-13 12:32 AM
    Great topic for sure.

I would agree that they are quickly becoming commoditized. A tell-tale sign of this is the prevalent spec one-up-manship.

The Android space is likely further along the maturity-commoditization curve while the other platforms are desperately trying to create differentiation and avoid the same fate. 'Mobile Computing' was likely birthed from that search.
    11-28-13 02:49 AM
    Umm lol since when have they not been a commodity? The whole of capitalist production for the last three hundred years has centred on mass production of commodities and turning everything in life as far as possible into a commodity to generate profit.
    tan_okan likes this.
    11-28-13 07:07 AM
    Umm lol since when have they not been a commodity? The whole of capitalist production for the last three hundred years has centred on mass production of commodities and turning everything in life as far as possible into a commodity to generate profit.
    Wrong, at least partially.
    The more commoditized a product gets, the lower is the per unit profit.
    To sell more of a product, you need lowers prices.
    At the same time, as we know it from PCs, the prices for hardware that is considered "good enough", will get so low that basically everybody can buy one.
    But the profit an enterprise makes, at least on a per untit basis, is greater when a product is not commoditized.

@Topic
    The smartphone market will soon go down the same route as the PC market.
    We are pretty close to call smartphones a commodity in the "developped" nations, and a little further away in emerging markets.
    But it'll happen soon.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-13 07:33 AM
    The game changer for the mobile device is the internet of things. When we can take our devices and communicate with our environment. An example is cars that send information to your mobile device about what parts need replacing and the total estimated cost for repairs.

Posted from the most powerful smartphone,z10
    11-28-13 08:02 AM
    What fundamental features on a Samsung device can you not do on an Apple device? Or a BB? Or Windows Phone?
    Another question: what fundamental feature can you do on an S4 that you couldn't on an S3? Same question for the past few iPhones.

I think that helps to answer the question of whether or not smartphones have become a commodity: when differences between the leading competitors are 'superficial' (bigger screen, thinner phone, different design) and computing power is becoming marginally less noticeable between generations.

As to the question of when the next disruption will occur, I think it will start to happen once the penetration rates of smartphones increases to to encompass almost the entire population in the developed countries, and when smartphone usage in the developing world increases to, I don't know... 33%?
    11-28-13 12:10 PM