View Poll Results: Will the smartphone world be better without RIM?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes if they dont come up with the times

7 13.73%
  • No, RIM will bounce back

24 47.06%
  • No

17 33.33%
  • Yes, Google and Iphone are the future

3 5.88%
    I was wondering would the smartphone world be better if RIM would collaspe? All I've been reading and hearing from everyone is RIM is doom blackberries suck and so forth. But to me its like Google and Iphone are being pushed down ppl throats without a chaser. Without RIM there will be a lost for competitive balance in the smartphone world, but I guess when you have the media continuely tell people what they should like and dislike ppl want judge for themselves. After all how many appl's do a person actually used.

In hindsight I know RIM need sleaker faster and more diverse phone but there's a tradeoff to everything. What will be RIM's tradeoff to aplease the Meadia I mean the mass...
    01-16-12 05:58 AM
    without rim the smartphone industry will be fine. should they go under somebody else will acquire their patents.
    01-16-12 06:01 AM
    Sorry but in what world is less competition better for the consumer?
    01-16-12 06:35 AM
    I wouldn't believe everything you read, nor everything you hear. 2012 will be an exciting year for RIM and they are not about to collapse, whatever the soothsayers of Wall Street may say.
    01-16-12 08:33 AM
    The more competition there is, the better the products will become.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-16-12 08:43 AM
    A strange poll. What would be better without RIM? Why would it be better?
    01-16-12 08:47 AM
    Competition is a human necessity, without it, the human race stays complacent and does not GROW.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-16-12 09:39 AM
    Honestly, it wouldn't look any different. An android & iOS dominated market with some smaller players. RIM haven't brought anything new to the game in years so why would anything change if they dropped out?

However, they're not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    01-16-12 01:18 PM
    If Android was gone the world would be the same. They're not doing anything new, the competition would take-over

If iPhone was gone 'some companies' would have to start copying someone else

RIM will prosper in 2012
    01-16-12 02:10 PM
    Google will rule the world, don't know about Apple though.
    01-16-12 02:21 PM
    By the way without RIM there would be no brand to b*tch about... -not me, iPhone android fan
    01-16-12 02:22 PM
    With out RIM, the mobile space would be a lot more messy, RIM handles the secured communication market, Apple and Google get to toy with trying to get that market and make in roads because they offer a good enough solution for many, if suddenly the major contracts came up and it was upto Apple and Google to fill them, they'd be scrabling to meet the requirements, or a new player would come to fit that void, probably a Hardware maker locking down Android, or Windows Phone super tightly

Also with no RIM there would be no one looking out for network usage, there would be no push for better IM clients by the other players, because they don't have a dominating competitor

RIM's MDM is the best and lowest cost in the industry, which keeps costs down for company's. If costs go up for company's (and governments) what do you think that means for other products and services

RIM pushes the Qwerty productivity device, without RIM we'd see the qwerty device bannished to crap market look at the current qwerty offerings that have Blackberry to compete with, what would they be if they had nothing to compete with.

The mobile space would be very different without RIM, and for this user it would suck! No one makes Phones like RIM does, and I for one like how RIM does it, lots of room to improve, but man my work would suck if I had to use an Android or iPhone in their current form factors.
    I'd be looking for a new line of work I suspect
    sleepngbear likes this.
    01-16-12 02:49 PM
    Sorry but in what world is less competition better for the consumer?
    Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD. One is indefinitely doomed to fail, and a competition like that would screw over and confuse consumers actually.

But we're talking about the mobile space. Where competition is good. Blackberry was just the same phone over and over again without much change before iPhone came.
    01-16-12 02:54 PM
    With out RIM, the mobile space would be a lot more messy, RIM handles the secured communication market, Apple and Google get to toy with trying to get that market and make in roads because they offer a good enough solution for many, if suddenly the major contracts came up and it was upto Apple and Google to fill them, they'd be scrabling to meet the requirements, or a new player would come to fit that void, probably a Hardware maker locking down Android, or Windows Phone super tightly

Also with no RIM there would be no one looking out for network usage, there would be no push for better IM clients by the other players, because they don't have a dominating competitor

RIM's MDM is the best and lowest cost in the industry, which keeps costs down for company's. If costs go up for company's (and governments) what do you think that means for other products and services

RIM pushes the Qwerty productivity device, without RIM we'd see the qwerty device bannished to crap market look at the current qwerty offerings that have Blackberry to compete with, what would they be if they had nothing to compete with.

The mobile space would be very different without RIM, and for this user it would suck! No one makes Phones like RIM does, and I for one like how RIM does it, lots of room to improve, but man my work would suck if I had to use an Android or iPhone in their current form factors.
    I'd be looking for a new line of work I suspect
    Agreed on all points, but the bold part says it all. Not sure I'd have to look for a new line of work myself, but I sure wouldn't be as satisfied with whatever was left to pick from.
    01-16-12 02:57 PM
    Honestly, it wouldn't look any different. An android & iOS dominated market with some smaller players. RIM haven't brought anything new to the game in years so why would anything change if they dropped out?

Entirely disagree.

RIM did bring it's security aspect. If RIM didn't have BBM, iMessage wouldn't be around as I am sure it wasn't on the priority list. Neither would security be a major concern for iOS and Android in a corporate environment.

And lets not forget the Playbook gestures. The iOS 5 update that included gestures was introduced afterwards with swipe capabilities.

To say "RIM haven't brought anything new to the game in years..." is not a correct statement in my opinion.

Competition is always good. Apple forced RIM to get off there a** and worry about UI. We as consumes usually benefit...
    01-16-12 03:09 PM
    Entirely disagree.

RIM did bring it's security aspect. If RIM didn't have BBM, iMessage wouldn't be around as I am sure it wasn't on the priority list. Neither would security be a major concern for iOS and Android in a corporate environment.

And lets not forget the Playbook gestures. The iOS 5 update that included gestures was introduced afterwards with swipe capabilities.

To say "RIM haven't brought anything new to the game in years..." is not a correct statement in my opinion.

Competition is always good. Apple forced RIM to get off there a** and worry about UI. We as consumes usually benefit...
    Even gestures came from the Palm Pre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    01-16-12 03:13 PM
    Agreed on all points, but the bold part says it all. Not sure I'd have to look for a new line of work myself, but I sure wouldn't be as satisfied with whatever was left to pick from.
    I am very mobile, 100-150 nights a year in hotels, driving, flying, moving and shaking, my BlackBerry's are my connection to the world, My laptop is slow, to modify a wonderful song by Toby Keith "you sir do not have a pair of testicles If you prefer [typing on] glass"
    My work schedule is tolerable because I have spent the time building my Autotext library to cut 200 word emails into just a few short cuts, my battery life on my 9300 goes 24-36 hours of extremely heavy use, and can sit in my car from Friday till Monday unplugged and still have all the juice I need in the morning.
    Alec Saunders said, "BlackBerry's are for doers not viewers. and my 9300 is very much a doer phone, rarely is it used for viewing much more than a daily PDF file, and a half dozen excel files.

My Job satisfaction drastically goes down for the 2 or 3 weeks after they swap out my phones because I need to get everything back just right, and that's just swapping between BB's if BB was taken away from me coupled with the Nissan craptima they give me, I certainly could see my self looking for something more local, where I don't NEED to have a mobile phone, but it is just a perk,
    01-16-12 03:27 PM

Although YOU don't see the use for it, the BlackBerry Bridge is a very innovative and NEW feature in the market, and it is getting better.

The Bridge got a Bad rep because it was seen as a patch solution for the lack of an email client and contact manager, but looking at it for what it is, and what it is becoming, it is a very innovative solution, the pairing of 2 devices to share information between them, usable anywhere Wireless signals are permitted, the need for an external network is not an issue.
    The use of the BlackBerry device as an input method onto the Tablet, yet again a fantastic idea, and for those who live with a BlackBerry in their hand, they ability to use the BlackBerry Keyboard on the tablet is far more useful than using a portable BT keyboard, and also means less packing in my carry on luggage.

RIM has continued to push the MDM solutions, including MVS have been continually getting better, to the consumer these don't matter, but since this part of the business is the part that even negative analysts say should be it's own company due to its profitability and abilities, saying they don't innovate or come out with anything new is doing them a disservice.
    01-16-12 04:22 PM
    Will the smartphone world be better without RIM? Why? Because "the media" is opposed to RIM? Ridiculous.
    01-16-12 04:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD