View Poll Results: What kind of user are you?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strictly Business (business relates tasks)

7 9.72%
  • Strictly fun

4 5.56%
  • Strictly to keep in touch

25 34.72%
  • I'm new to this whole smartphone stuff....

3 4.17%
  • Some Where in the Middle!

33 45.83%
    I wouldnt be surprised if >50% of all phones sold are smartphones ...I mean..who uses a cell phone without bells and whistles nowadays? Even my friends parents and GRANDPARENTS are using smartphones like the iP4 and android devices and even BB's to stay connected...
    i think their is truly a revolution in the mobile phone space that is happening right now...as a by product of this "smartphone explosion" , if you will, many of these novice users are being lured by the bells and whistles of smartphones...where smartphones were once used primarily for business purposes are not used to check-into a restaurant or play angry birds...

i think its kind of wild, sad and exciting at the same time to see how these things evolve....

so what kind of user are you?
    03-18-11 12:29 PM
    ill go first..i use it to stay connected..ever since the 8310 i loved having the maps and full keyboard..it makes emails (work and side business) connections soo much more efficient to respond to....

i didnt put strictly business because my phone was/is not a company phone
    03-18-11 12:31 PM
    I wouldnt be surprised if >50% of all phones sold are smartphones ...I mean..who uses a cell phone without bells and whistles nowadays? Even my friends parents and GRANDPARENTS are using smartphones like the iP4 and android devices and even BB's to stay connected...
    i think their is truly a revolution in the mobile phone space that is happening right now...as a by product of this "smartphone explosion" , if you will, many of these novice users are being lured by the bells and whistles of smartphones...where smartphones were once used primarily for business purposes are not used to check-into a restaurant or play angry birds...

i think its kind of wild, sad and exciting at the same time to see how these things evolve....

so what kind of user are you?
    A disgruntled one!! (I have the displeasure of owning a Storm). can't wait to get a Bionic. It CAN'T be as much of a PITA as my Storm, which seems to be getting more and more unreliable with each passing day.

As far as smartphones and age goes, my 85 y.o. dad won't get a smartphone. My mom is a technophone. I'm 63 and LOVE high tech. (but only when it works well)
    03-18-11 12:36 PM
    I feel your pain Dave...I'm currently using a 9800 (Torch) and its the worst BB i've ever owned...It really breaks my heart to say it but it is...However, currently it is the only phone available that has the features I want..so until something better comes out (and it better be really good! preferably RIMM) ill stick to my 9800
    1812dave likes this.
    03-18-11 12:50 PM
    To keep in touch & have a lil fun. Five years ago I didn't want any bells & whistles on my phones. I just wanted a phone to talk & text on. I always got the free phones that carriers gave away when you extended your contract. Well, my last dumbphone had MINIMAL instant message capabilities. It offered MSN, Yahoo, & AIM, but the messages counted against your text count (at that time I think I only had like a 400 text max a month). It also only let you be signed in to one @ a time, & it was SEVERELY laggy. I kept thinking it would be an awesome feature if only it worked better.

Fast forward about a year, & my bff had a Sidekick 3. I was telling her about a website or something, & she pulled out her Sidekick to type that down in her notes. I was impressed! Then she showed me her IM clients, & how she could be signed into AIM, MSN, & Yahoo at the same time, & the clients never lagged. I was in love. I rushed out & got my own Sidekick & it really set a standard for me at the time. I loved having IM, web, & email coming to my phone. Then of course a year later when they came out w/ the Sidekick LX, well I needed that one too. That's what started my obsession of upgrading when something better came along, lol. A Sidekick LX 2009, Blackberry 9700, Samsung Vibrant, & MyTouch 4G later I'm still going strong lol. I'm really insanely happy w/ Android @ the moment, but I'm not counting a BB QNX device out of my future.
    03-18-11 01:28 PM
    ^^ nice i always had motorolas before my BBs...i would mod them and stuff...it was way cool..once i got my BB i was too afraid to brick it..plus it did everything i wanted, only better

ahh..i remember when the sidekicks came out..haha....everyone but me had one! lol
    03-18-11 01:35 PM
    97 views and 7 votes...sigh
    03-18-11 02:41 PM
    I voted for "Strickly to stay in touch" but that also includes business connections and e-mail as well as friends and family. Not much of a web user any am no good at games. I have had a smartphone since the first Treo's and have used Palm, BB, Andriod and WM platforms. All have strong points and weaknesses IMO, but my preference is BB.
    03-18-11 03:35 PM
    I was a smart phone addict before they ever existed. I had my laptop, cell phone, mp3 player, and PDA with me. Other than the laptop, everything was attached to my belt (I looked like Batman).

I couldn't wait for memory cards to get large enough to carry all my music (my MP3 player had a 20GB hard drive) on my PDA, and then it was the wait for a phone that could do the same things.
    03-18-11 03:56 PM
    I didn't vote because I fit equally in both the "strictly fun" and "strictly staying in touch" categories.

This thing is my main internet connection, main source of communication via sms, yahoo messenger, phone, email, or any other methods. It is a source of entertainment while I'm waiting somewhere (mechanic, doctor's waiting room, etc).
    03-18-11 04:15 PM
    My Storm2 is my second smartphone, my first was an 8330. I started finding great use for PDA's many years ago when smartphones were barely even heard of, I remember some great days sporting a Psion Series 5 (anyone remember those?) and at another point a casio e-105 (cassiopea?). I always used a laptop in my work and was on the road a lot, I used to sync my PDA in the morning before I left home. I always remember looking at my cell phone and my PDA and thinking... these two need to talk so I can be constantly connected. For me, smartphones were an awesome change, email and web on the go along with gps and other apps. I haven't worked 'on the road' for many years, but wouldn't be without my blackberry wherever I go. I feel like I have a limb missing if I forget it.

I think you need to expand your poll options a bit, some people involve a bit of business and a bit of pleasure in their usage. You might get more responses that way.
    03-18-11 04:15 PM
    after I hit submit i thought "doh!" should have made the options a little less specific...

i remember too, having my palm and my cell phone and thinking, " why cant you two mate already" hahahaah
    03-18-11 04:32 PM
    I use my device for work, entertainment, and education. I've all but stopped using my laptop & I've sold my iPod. My Evo does everything I need for work & home.
    03-18-11 07:25 PM
    after I hit submit i thought "doh!" should have made the options a little less specific...
    i remember too, having my palm and my cell phone and thinking, " why cant you two mate already" hahahaah
    Yeah, how should one answer when use is pretty evenly split between choices? I'm so confused
    03-18-11 08:05 PM
    My use is split pretty evenly between the 'fun' and 'keep in touch' options. Oh and also with a dash of business thrown in because of the work related documents I have on my phone.
    03-18-11 10:18 PM
    Mine is a mix of fun and staying In touch.

Don't use it much as a business device, besides using it on work hours, lol!

Talk about going against the grade...or is it grain, either or, haha!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-11 08:17 AM
    I feel your pain Dave...I'm currently using a 9800 (Torch) and its the worst BB i've ever owned...It really breaks my heart to say it but it is...However, currently it is the only phone available that has the features I want..so until something better comes out (and it better be really good! preferably RIMM) ill stick to my 9800
    Sorry your experience is so poor. Torch remains the best device ever for my needs, two other BBs in the family and other smart phones of the past do not come close.

Lots of us viewers cannot see the poll. WAP limits our access. ;(

03-19-11 08:26 AM
    QUOTE=sedalia066;6144434]Sorry your experience is so poor. Torch remains the best device ever for my needs, two other BBs in the family and other smart phones of the past do not come close.

Lots of us viewers cannot see the poll. WAP limits our access. ;(

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE]

Regarding the mobile view limitations, you can try the default/standard view for threads like this one, and then go back to the Mobile view, (which is faster, and easier on your data plan). That's what I've been doing and the Torch can handle this quite well.
    Last edited by BlackStormRising; 03-20-11 at 04:27 PM.
    03-19-11 09:54 AM
    97 views and 7 votes...sigh
    1. I didn't vote because I also use my phone for all three.
    80% communicating by phone, text, email, and BBM.
    15% fun - internet, music, photos.
    5% work

2. People who read this thread on their BBs can't vote in the poll.
    rrrebo likes this.
    03-19-11 02:47 PM
    1. I didn't vote because I also use my phone for all three.
    80% communicating by phone, text, email, and BBM.
    15% fun - internet, music, photos.
    5% work

2. People who read this thread on their BBs can't vote in the poll.
    noted...

in retrospect I could have used primarily instead of strictly .....

thank you all for your responses...i think this is a great discussion
    03-19-11 04:29 PM
    Where is the "everything" option?
    K Bear and rrrebo like this.
    03-20-11 09:10 AM
    I don't like usuing the standard view as much because it takes longer to load the site on my phone. I have OS 6 but stil.

I use my phone for a lot of stuff but mostly I love using it for a personal lookup device on Google. I love being able to whip it out and Google something. Plus I recently got married and I think me and my wife are addicted to the Internet and we just have one computer and so I can do a lot of my web browsing on my phone. Also, I have an 8 gig SD for my music but when I get the money I would love a 32. I have more music than storage space which sucks now.

03-20-11 12:45 PM
    I use my Blackberry to keep in touch with my friends (via SMS/calls, like phones should be used), and social network (Facebook). And it saves me the hassle of having to turn on my computer to check my email X times a day. All in all, mainly for keeping in touch with people I know and convenience, the latter I could live without.
    03-20-11 01:11 PM
    Yeah, how should one answer when use is pretty evenly split between choices? I'm so confused
    +1. Lots of options missing on this poll. Interesting idea to query about uses, but are folks expected to be all of one or the other with no mix?
    03-20-11 02:45 PM
    I wouldnt be surprised if >50% of all phones sold are smartphones ...I mean..who uses a cell phone without bells and whistles nowadays? Even my friends parents and GRANDPARENTS are using smartphones...
    i think its kind of wild, sad and exciting at the same time to see how these things evolve...

What exactly is sad about this?

-Stephen

03-20-11 02:57 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD