So I was looking at this article:

Smartphone data usage jumps 89% in the U.S., Android users still biggest gluttons

and I was wondering if they take into consideration the fact that RIM utilizes compression? There seems to be no note of it anywhere, which isn't surprising. Presuming they don't take compression into account, good olde BGR is presenting RIM yet again in a less than ideal light.
    06-17-11 02:55 PM
    and I was wondering if they take into consideration the fact that RIM utilizes compression? There seems to be no note of it anywhere, which isn't surprising. Presuming they don't take compression into account, good olde BGR is presenting RIM yet again in a less than ideal light.
    In what way does that article look unfavorably upon RIM/BB?

All it shows is that Android and iPhone users consume more data on average than other platforms. What it really demonstrates is that Android and iPhone users are more than likely streaming more media. Many could argue that BB holds the advantage with it's compression methods in place, although that probably only accounts for a fraction of the disparity between average data consumption. Any way you look at it, a race to gobble bandwidth is not something you'd want to win.

If the information from the study could be interpreted in any logical manner, it would give BB users a positive spin.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 06-17-11 at 03:16 PM.
    06-17-11 03:14 PM
    Or does it show BlackBerry in the best light as the most efficient and economical usage?
    06-17-11 03:14 PM
    There seems to be no note of it anywhere, which isn't surprising. Presuming they don't take compression into account, good olde BGR is presenting RIM yet again in a less than ideal light.
    I think you're jumping at shadows here. Consuming more bandwidth isn't necessarily a good thing, and even if it is, it's not as though being on the low end is something about which to be ashamed.
    06-17-11 03:34 PM
    Let me rephrase: Presuming you are an individual that doesnt know that bb has great compression, wouldn't you then presume that bb users and just people that don't use the web a lot in their devices?

The graph ignores compression, thereby making bb users seem behind the times.
    06-17-11 10:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD