How Apple and Google are merging the PC with the smartphone. | Re/code

I know BlackBerry is releasing Blend, but will that be enough? I'd love to see tight integration with my pc.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 09:06 PM
    blend will be what it will be. Im sure its not enough but hopefully a good start
    07-10-14 09:09 PM
    I think the big difference is that both Apple and Google are developing these solutions to keep you in their ecosystem. Since BlackBerry can no longer fully support a complete ecosystem by their own admission, their motivation is slightly different from Apple and Google.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3247
    Juggy16 and EchuOkan1 like this.
    07-11-14 01:09 AM
    With the BB10 you don't need a PC. I can understand with apples outdated and old OS why you would need a PC to supplement the iphone and android can be a mess at times.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 01:41 AM
    Problem here is I neither want an Apple computer nor a Chrome OS device. I like my PC running Windows 7 Pro and my Phone running BB10. And this whole detecting when the phone is near thing I'm pretty sure is done via blue tooth. Which I don't like keeping on. And also, if someone is over at my house, and I let them use my PC for something, I don't want them to all of a sudden have access to my phone...

So while I do like the idea of PC and phone integration, I would very much like it to be more proactive and less "automatic." I know people are lazy now and want everything automatic, but not me, as long as it's made to be convenient and intuitive, I don't mind doing some things myself if that means it'll do exactly what I want it to do.

Like automatic headlights in cars. I don't always want my headlights on when the car is running. Instances where I don't, if I'm not ready to start driving yet, I have my car running (for the a/c), I don't want to announce to the world that I'm sitting in my car. I rather blend in with the other "off" cars in the parking lot. Also, if I'm parked facing into a store-front, I find it REALLY rude to shine your headlights into every customer's face, so I typically keep my headlights off until I've backed up and my car is no longer facing into the store front, then I turn them on.

Anyway, that's just an example of where automatic things don't always do exactly what I want them to do. So I tend to like to keep things manual so I can turn them on or off at my will. I'm not that lazy that flipping a switch will kill me...

Same with this whole PC integration thing. I'm sure there will be situations where I wouldn't want my calls or other phone activities showing up on my PC, or my PC contents showing up on my phone. So for this reason, I don't want mere proximity to trigger these things. I rather there be some kind of wireless cradle, or like a small pad you can place anywhere on your desk where when you lay your phone down there it'll initiate this bridge. And any activity you might do on your PC as you take your phone off that cradle or pad will transfer over, but it won't persist after that, meaning if my friend jumps on my PC after my phone is already off the pad or cradle, anything he/she does on the PC at that time will not have any connection or mirror to my phone...

That's just me, I'm sure my view is a minority opinion...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-11-14 01:48 AM
    With the BB10 you don't need a PC.
    Yeah, sure. Good luck with that. Perhaps Blackberry should attempt to produce a successful smartphone, first. Then, go after the PC market. How about BB10 replacing BBOS for starters?
    07-11-14 01:54 AM
    I'm happy they'll leave it at just Blend, since they never did grasp the concept of working desktop software. Why introduce more points of failure?

Posted via CB10
    TGR1 and JeepBB like this.
    07-11-14 02:03 AM
    With the BB10 you don't need a PC. I can understand with apples outdated and old OS why you would need a PC to supplement the iphone and android can be a mess at times.

Posted via CB10
    Sure. Tell me how well Visio works on your BB 10 device when managing even Excel is such a nuisance at the moment.
    We're a long way off from not needing a PC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 07-11-14 at 03:41 AM.
    grover5 and Berry_Pink like this.
    07-11-14 03:19 AM
    Problem here is I neither want an Apple computer nor a Chrome OS device. I like my PC running Windows 7 Pro and my Phone running BB10. And this whole detecting when the phone is near thing I'm pretty sure is done via blue tooth. Which I don't like keeping on. And also, if someone is over at my house, and I let them use my PC for something, I don't want them to all of a sudden have access to my phone...

So while I do like the idea of PC and phone integration, I would very much like it to be more proactive and less "automatic." I know people are lazy now and want everything automatic, but not me, as long as it's made to be convenient and intuitive, I don't mind doing some things myself if that means it'll do exactly what I want it to do.

Like automatic headlights in cars. I don't always want my headlights on when the car is running. Instances where I don't, if I'm not ready to start driving yet, I have my car running (for the a/c), I don't want to announce to the world that I'm sitting in my car. I rather blend in with the other "off" cars in the parking lot. Also, if I'm parked facing into a store-front, I find it REALLY rude to shine your headlights into every customer's face, so I typically keep my headlights off until I've backed up and my car is no longer facing into the store front, then I turn them on.

Anyway, that's just an example of where automatic things don't always do exactly what I want them to do. So I tend to like to keep things manual so I can turn them on or off at my will. I'm not that lazy that flipping a switch will kill me...

Same with this whole PC integration thing. I'm sure there will be situations where I wouldn't want my calls or other phone activities showing up on my PC, or my PC contents showing up on my phone. So for this reason, I don't want mere proximity to trigger these things. I rather there be some kind of wireless cradle, or like a small pad you can place anywhere on your desk where when you lay your phone down there it'll initiate this bridge. And any activity you might do on your PC as you take your phone off that cradle or pad will transfer over, but it won't persist after that, meaning if my friend jumps on my PC after my phone is already off the pad or cradle, anything he/she does on the PC at that time will not have any connection or mirror to my phone...

In iOS, it's only "automatic" if you have the associated switch in settings set to "on."

I'm sure Android will be the same way.

So,...like most things, you can simply turn it off if you don't want to use it.

It's a funny world.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    app_Developer and JeepBB like this.
    07-11-14 03:42 AM
    Sure. Tell me how well Visio works on your BB 10 device when managing even Excel is such a nuisance at the moment.

On a large scale, it may be possible to run some client server software, and use citrix / vmware to have all software available via server run apps. I've been able to run citrix based apps, that are only available for Windows, and it works well, without proper support. If only they would developed this further... they could Def gain traction for this purpose.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 06:05 AM
    In iOS, it's only "automatic" if you have the associated switch in settings set to "on."

I'm sure Android will be the same way.

So,...like most things, you can simply turn it off if you don't want to use it.

It's a funny world.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    Turn it off as in going into settings? Or do they have it like I described where the only action needed by the user is to place the phone on something? If it is like you need to go into settings and turn someone on or off, I don't see how that's any different than just plugging your phone in via usb...

Like I said, I would like it to have control over what it does, but at the same time for it to be convenient. I said in the very beginning that most likely it would require blue tooth to be on all of the time right? Unless they have something else that can detect proximity. And obviously you can turn BT on and off, so obviously I know you can turn it on and off...

There's a fine line between having control and being convenient and having control and being a hassle. If I have to go into setting every time to turn it on and off every time I sit at my desk and get up from my desk, I'd rather just leave it off and just email myself when I need to access something on the other device...

07-11-14 11:37 AM
    On a large scale, it may be possible to run some client server software, and use citrix / vmware to have all software available via server run apps. I've been able to run citrix based apps, that are only available for Windows, and it works well, without proper support. If only they would developed this further... they could Def gain traction for this purpose.

Posted via CB10
    You're running Visio on your BB10 in this manner today?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 12:09 PM

Good, innit? Tablets are bloody useless at things like Excel, but here we are skipping a step and just using a phone instead. I'm sold - laptop will be in the bin later
    07-11-14 12:13 PM
    Good, innit? Tablets are bloody useless at things like Excel, but here we are skipping a step and just using a phone instead. I'm sold - laptop will be in the bin later
    I really want to know how to create a Visio on a BB10 device.

That will be REALLY interesting for A L L kinds of reasons.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 12:15 PM
    I really want to know how to create a Visio on a BB10 device.

That will be REALLY interesting for A L L kinds of reasons.

Posted via CB10
    Well, look if you're simply incompetent that's hardly my problem....
    mas_quemex likes this.
    07-11-14 12:17 PM
    Well, look if you're simply incompetent that's hardly my problem....
    PpPppppppppffffffffffttttttttt

Posted via CB10
    ghundiraj likes this.
    07-11-14 12:17 PM
    Oh h3ll hang on....

I'M PLAYING WITH BANCO, MODS!!!!

(a year ago I was playing with someone this way and got handed an infraction so...clarity...for anyone lacking a funny bone)

(I figured .)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-11-14 at 05:07 PM.
    07-11-14 12:21 PM
    Oh h3ll hang on....

I'M PLAYING WITH BANCO, MODS!!!!

(a year ago I was playing with someone this way and got handed an infraction so...clarity...for anyone lacking a funny bone)

Posted via CB10
    No, sorry I'm deeply, deeply insulted. Crying here in fact. I'm going to make a complaint and then write to my MP. So there. Be ashamed you evil, evil thing....
    ghundiraj likes this.
    07-11-14 12:23 PM
    Agreed

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 12:29 PM
    It would be nice to Bridge a BB10 device to a tablet, desktop or laptop (any OS), similar to how Bridge works with the PlayBook, only that you can also answer/make calls if you want. It's nice to have the phone charging in another room and be able to access its data and functions via tablet/desktop/laptop.

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind being able to "mirror" the phone on a tablet/desktop/laptop, but be able to take advantage of the extra screen resolution, if available. Just having the extra screen size would be great.
    KCSFINEST likes this.
    07-11-14 12:35 PM

I totally agree! Another example is my phone connecting to my car automatically at startup when I am driving with others in the car. There are some calls that require client privacy besides the content of the conversation (i.e., name and number). That is why I also carry a BT headset for those situations.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 12:43 PM
    Iphone + PC = Legacy BBOS BlackBerry + Playbook

BlackBerry 10 reduces the pc to a storage device to be accessed with Link and Remote File Access.
    07-11-14 01:26 PM
    Turn it off as in going into settings? Or do they have it like I described where the only action needed by the user is to place the phone on something? If it is like you need to go into settings and turn someone on or off, I don't see how that's any different than just plugging your phone in via usb...

Like I said, I would like it to have control over what it does, but at the same time for it to be convenient. I said in the very beginning that most likely it would require blue tooth to be on all of the time right? Unless they have something else that can detect proximity. And obviously you can turn BT on and off, so obviously I know you can turn it on and off...

There's a fine line between having control and being convenient and having control and being a hassle. If I have to go into setting every time to turn it on and off every time I sit at my desk and get up from my desk, I'd rather just leave it off and just email myself when I need to access something on the other device...

If its in the quick settings drop down, tell me how this is more work than putting it on a pad. That way you can actually just sit down and have it sync. I prefer this method
    07-11-14 01:41 PM
    BlackBerry's journey began in the radio frequency based market. Hardcore enterprise stuff. So it's more appropriate to make comparisons with Cisco. I prefer expansion into IoT peripherals business.
    07-11-14 03:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    Exactly! I do all kinds of things with my Z10 that I couldn't with my iphone.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 08:42 PM
55 123