You may be interested in the year-on-year Smart Phone market share on the Vodacom (Vodafone) network in South Africa.

Apple iPhone, iPad surprise in South Africa
    07-30-14 06:02 AM
    BlackBerry is still THE platform on that carrier.... yet the story is all about Android and Apple.

And looking at the comments BlackBerry really isn't mentioned at all in my quick glance. Have to wonder if BBOS and BIS is the only thing keeping BlackBerry in business right now?
    07-30-14 07:25 AM
    You can also see numbers are surely declining for BBRY. Which might indicate that users of legacy devices might rather update to a competing plattform rather than upgrading to BB10.

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    07-30-14 08:19 AM
    In South Africa the price matters. Those numbers will not include the Z3's since they were just launched there so I think you will see an up tic in the next quarterly results. Apple is to expensive for the average user so I really don't think that the iPhone 6 will have much of an impact there.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 11:20 PM
    Actually iPhone 6 will enjoy success in SA. I know of many people waiting for them to arrive here.. these are average users.. BlackBerry needs to target the below average users in terms of z3 and we need to get the average users to come back to BlackBerry as they all jumped ship a while back.

I was constantly asked why are you still with BlackBerry and my reply always was "they've not lost their touch when it comes to Q10 and Z30"

STA100-6 WhiteZ30_SA
    08-01-14 11:46 PM
    BIS is keeping a lot of the people in South Africa on BlackBerry just because it's an easy R59 per month and you get "unlimited, Internet, sms, bbm" so people love it.

Most people are also on the old 8520's & 9320's. And believe it or not the BlackBerry 9720 is actually really popular because its got HSDPA which means faster Internet over the other phones but most importantly has BIS.

If I was John Chen I would release a BlackBerry CLASSIC that only has 3G no LTE with slightly lower specs from the LTE version but offer BIS with it. I'm telling you now it will work. At around the R2,499 mark. People will buy biy buy. I know this won't happen but it's always nice to imagine.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    08-03-14 01:44 PM