The biggest risk to apple is if people tire of being locked into the proprietary product line they then avoid it. Like MS.
    Except all the evidence is that once they are in, they love it - people (and I mean normal people not nerds) only care that it's proprietary when it doesn't provide the services that they need or the apps they want - and it currently does both.

That might change in the future but there is no evidence at the moment, especially when the competition are so lackluster in lots of ways - my partner picked up an ipad last week and while I like my nexus 7, it's embarrassing when you start comparing the functionality and form of major apps on the ipad to my nexus 7.
    09-07-12 11:35 AM
    Except all the evidence is that once they are in, they love it - people (and I mean normal people not nerds) only care that it's proprietary when it doesn't provide the services that they need or the apps they want - and it currently does both.

That might change in the future but there is no evidence at the moment, especially when the competition are so lackluster in lots of ways - my partner picked up an ipad last week and while I like my nexus 7, it's embarrassing when you start comparing the functionality and form of major apps on the ipad to my nexus 7.
    but normal peopel get bored also, fine things work they love it but over time the same thing gets boring, BBOS worked people loved it then somethign fresh and new came out and they went to iPhone and Android.

its the way of the world these days people just don't liek the same thing over and over, look at the divorce rate these days, its rare to see a marriage last like they used to, people just get bored
    09-07-12 11:48 AM
    but normal peopel get bored also, fine things work they love it but over time the same thing gets boring, BBOS worked people loved it then somethign fresh and new came out and they went to iPhone and Android.

its the way of the world these days people just don't liek the same thing over and over, look at the divorce rate these days, its rare to see a marriage last like they used to, people just get bored

To me it's the remote control problem - the ipad is the remote control - it's not complex, it's not changed much and frankly most consumers don't seem to care - lots of people are reinventing the remote control and tech nerds love them but normal people to stick to their remote control.

Broadly people are creating a solution to a problem that ios users don't seem to have and don't seem to want to have. That might change in the future but is it going to change in a way that could significantly benefit RIM and help the company survive - so now to the end of 2013 - doubtful.
    09-07-12 11:57 AM
    I have no doubt that Jobs spent the last months of his life working on at least an outline of what that transition might look like.
    That Sir, I believe is the definition of vapourware.
    09-07-12 12:00 PM
    If you invest a few hundred (or thousand) dollars into an ecosystem, it will be very difficult to ever leave that ecosystem. Everyone that is waiting for Apple to fail, are going to have a very long wait.

They don't have the best hardware, and they don't have the best OS... which would seem to tell you that having the best hardware and the best OS are not really all that important.
    09-07-12 12:06 PM
    Samsung has sold 20 million Galaxy S 3s in just 100 days, damn

I love mine.
    09-07-12 12:36 PM
    That Sir, I believe is the definition of vapourware.
    Well vapourware needs to be at least in the public consciousness. And the public consciousness is mostly in love with ios in it's current form, at least if iPhone 4S sales are any indication. Still yet,....Apple hasn't sat still for ten years. I feel it's a pretty safe bet there are some whose jobs are to imagine its radical departure from the "grid of icons."
    09-07-12 02:03 PM
    If you invest a few hundred (or thousand) dollars into an ecosystem, it will be very difficult to ever leave that ecosystem. Everyone that is waiting for Apple to fail, are going to have a very long wait.

They don't have the best hardware, and they don't have the best OS... which would seem to tell you that having the best hardware and the best OS are not really all that important.
    But at the moment, the hardware and software are close to the best. What happens when something else extraordinary and different comes along. And people are still rocking their Model T's, when they can get a Ferrari. The tide will turn and developers will follow. It may not be RIM, but it will happen. Things will be totally different in ten years.
    09-07-12 05:57 PM

Apple's customer satisfaction numbers are much better than the competition which suggests they don't need to change that much.
    09-08-12 10:52 AM
    Apple's customer satisfaction numbers are much better than the competition which suggests they don't need to change that much.
    For reference:

Press Release - 2012 U.S. Wireless Smartphone Customer Satisfaction Study and 2012 U.S. Wireless Traditional Mobile Phone Satisfaction Study | J.D. Power

Interesting reading re consumer expectations
    09-08-12 10:55 AM
    Isn't this the reason why RIM is in trouble? Not feeling they had to change that much? "who needs a camera on their phone?" we don't need to wifi" Contentment can be deadly in todays competitive market. Any company that feels they can relax will be humbled, the same way RIM has been.
    09-09-12 10:04 PM
    Isn't this the reason why RIM is in trouble? Not feeling they had to change that much? "who needs a camera on their phone?" we don't need to wifi" Contentment can be deadly in todays competitive market. Any company that feels they can relax will be humbled, the same way RIM has been.
    Apple launched the iPhone six years ago. RIM still hasn't caught up. The launched the app store five years ago, now everyone has one.

Apple is moving beyond the smartphone now. They launched the iPad three years ago and the focus of there latest OS releases has been platform integration. iCloud was released last year which I think is a major piece of their customer retention strategy. They have also reengineered their development tools significantly over the last few years. The only company who can compete with them in this area is Microsoft.

I don't think they are relaxing. I also don't think there is anything outdated about their OS tech.
    09-10-12 07:02 AM
    Some of y'all tickle me.

It is not sound business practice to base future projections of one's success on the assumed demise of the industry leader... particularly when that industry leader usurped the position from you.
    cgk likes this.
    09-10-12 07:14 AM
    ...I don't think they are relaxing. I also don't think there is anything outdated about their OS tech.
    Exactly, Apple is dominating because they have been changing, so then you agree with what I said? Because I was simply quoting you "...they don't need to change that much." and this is the same thinking that got RIM in trouble.
    09-10-12 11:32 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD