I was looking at the sales numbers for all smartphones in 2011 (see link below) and RIM had 52.5 Million units in 2011. Not sure what 2012 holds with both the holdout for BB10 and OS7 devices looking older and older by the day - perhaps 30-35 million devices total?

Makes me wonder if BB10 will be able to sell close to the 2011 Blackberry sales peak of 50+ million devices annually or beyond, start growing again and either regain or capture more market share?

Communities Dominate Brands: Smartphone Final Numbers 2011 - All the stats including Q4 by handset brands, operating systems and installed bases
    09-05-12 12:03 PM
    I was looking at the sales numbers for all smartphones in 2011 (see link below) and RIM had 52.5 Million units in 2011. Not sure what 2012 holds with both the holdout for BB10 and OS7 devices looking older and older by the day - perhaps 30-35 million devices total?

Makes me wonder if BB10 will be able to sell close to the 2011 Blackberry sales peak of 50+ million devices annually or beyond, start growing again and either regain or capture more market share?

Communities Dominate Brands: Smartphone Final Numbers 2011 - All the stats including Q4 by handset brands, operating systems and installed bases
    IDC had Q1 2012 for RIM at 12.5M and Q2 at 7.4M. Q3 and 4 are likely to be in the Q2 range while waiting for BB10.
    09-05-12 12:10 PM
    The "how many" is an important part of the question but equally important for the next quarterly report is "how much" - we know that ARPU was declining and that the curves being sold at either cost or near cost in many markets.

When we do get the earnings call? 17th September?
    09-05-12 12:10 PM
    The "how many" is an important part of the question but equally important for the next quarterly report is "how much" - we know that ARPU was declining and that the curves being sold at either cost or near cost in many markets.

When we do get the earnings call? 17th September?
    27 September is the date of the earnings call.

Research In Motion Limited (USA) Quote Page (RIMM)
    09-05-12 12:15 PM
    Earnings are due out on Sept 27th, we were told to expect stable CF for this past quarter.

Remember, last quarter RIM reported 7.8 million phones sold, but they actually had sell-through of 10.5 million phones and with the inventory write down, they could surprise many this coming quarter. They need to get BB 10 to market and make certain it is perfect. After today's Nokia offering, we only have iPhone 5 to complete with and it comes with the outdated iOS 6. If Apple drops a bomb, RIM will be looking very good in 2013.

I for one can't get excited about a phone with no innovation, iPhone 5 looks to be that phone.
    09-05-12 12:18 PM
    Earnings are due out on Sept 27th, we were told to expect stable CF for this past quarter.

Remember, last quarter RIM reported 7.8 million phones sold, but they actually had sell-through of 10.5 million phones and with the inventory write down, they could surprise many this coming quarter. They need to get BB 10 to market and make certain it is perfect. After today's Nokia offering, we only have iPhone 5 to complete with and it comes with the outdated iOS 6. If Apple drops a bomb, RIM will be looking very good in 2013.

I for one can't get excited about a phone with no innovation, iPhone 5 looks to be that phone.
    Although you might not be excited about the new iPhone, most likely it will fly off the shelves and Apple's servers will crash due to preorder demand, just like last time.
    drjay868 likes this.
    09-05-12 12:23 PM

What if iphone sales are higher than last time? What then?
    09-05-12 12:24 PM

as if Apple will drop a bomb, even if its no different then the iPhone4s peopel will still buy it, look what happened with the iPad3 and the iPhone4s. simple gpu changes on the iPad and the A5 chipset from the iPad2 for the 4s yet the first days they sold a million devices.

Apple is loving the current hype about their products and i doubt it'll fall short at this point in time
    09-05-12 12:27 PM
    Samsung has sold 20 million Galaxy S 3s in just 100 days, damn
    09-06-12 04:32 PM
    What if iphone sales are higher than last time? What then?
    It's a given that the iPhone will fly of the shelves and would be in numbers to rival previous sales figures. The iPhone while being stale still have a few yrs to get mouldy. Remember it took BBs ten years to get stale. Iphone has at least 3-4 years before it gets so stale that it would need a complete overhaul. Maybe you would see that in iOS 10...although it would be interesting to watch how Apple tackles that. Technology transition is where companies go to die...some executive said that .
    09-06-12 05:25 PM
    The iPhone brand still has buzz. People (not on Mobile Nations websites) call and ask when it is coming out. It will sell like hotcakes.

Will it hurt BB 10 sales. No. People who want the iPhone 5 have already made up their mind.
    09-06-12 05:28 PM
    It's a given that the iPhone will fly of the shelves and would be in numbers to rival previous sales figures. The iPhone while being stale still have a few yrs to get mouldy. Remember it took BBs ten years to get stale. Iphone has at least 3-4 years before it gets so stale that it would need a complete overhaul. Maybe you would see that in iOS 10...although it would be interesting to watch how Apple tackles that. Technology transition is where companies go to die...some executive said that .
    I have a feeling that Apple is looking way ahead. I would not doubt that they already have a transition plan in place and will hardly be disruptive at all.
    09-06-12 05:29 PM
    Even if they aren't and they only have (let's say) two years before they fall off the perch - realistically, RIM has two quarters in 2013 to show that bb10 had legs - if it doesn't take off, the market will kill the company.
    09-06-12 05:39 PM
    I assure you that iPhone still has major buzz and it will break records AGAIN in a couple of weeks. And yes it will certainly affect BB sales as people like myself are finally leaving RIM. MANY MANY people have been disillusioned with RIM and have specifically been waiting for the iPhone 5, not just any iPhone. No matter how "cool" or "innovative" BB10 may be, the one thing RIM still doesn't understand is its all about content and ecosystem. Why would I choose a newcomer when Apple is doing it bigger and better than RIM ever will? The only remaining feature that RIM has is the keyboard and that's simply not enough to lure me away from the functionality of the iPhone.
    09-06-12 06:43 PM
    I assure you that iPhone still has major buzz and it will break records AGAIN in a couple of weeks. And yes it will certainly affect BB sales as people like myself are finally leaving RIM. MANY MANY people have been disillusioned with RIM and have specifically been waiting for the iPhone 5, not just any iPhone. No matter how "cool" or "innovative" BB10 may be, the one thing RIM still doesn't understand is its all about content and ecosystem. Why would I choose a newcomer when Apple is doing it bigger and better than RIM ever will? The only remaining feature that RIM has is the keyboard and that's simply not enough to lure me away from the functionality of the iPhone.
    if BB10 is innovative and cool as you say then the ecosystem will come, developers are already talking about how easy it is to port an app for BB10. if BB10 is a hit the apps will come and then what will iPhone5 have over BB10?

if you're looking for a good ecosystem look at android or is your head with everyone else and the love for the iPhone
    09-06-12 06:54 PM
    I have a feeling that Apple is looking way ahead. I would not doubt that they already have a transition plan in place and will hardly be disruptive at all.
    I have no doubt that Jobs spent the last months of his life working on at least an outline of what that transition might look like.
    09-06-12 06:57 PM
    I have no doubt that Jobs spent the last months of his life working on at least an outline of what that transition might look like.
    from what i'd heard he was 18 months ahead so i doubt he was thinking that far ahead
    09-06-12 06:58 PM
    if BB10 is innovative and cool as you say then the ecosystem will come, developers are already talking about how easy it is to port an app for BB10. if BB10 is a hit the apps will come and then what will iPhone5 have over BB10?

if you're looking for a good ecosystem look at android or is your head with everyone else and the love for the iPhone
    As a heavy android user/supporter, I will tell you first hand that the good eco-system on android is only considered good compared to the likes of RIM and Win Phone.
    It is really not at all comparable to the iOS. Most major desirable apps are out on iOS first and then with everyone on Android begging for it, be ported to the Android. There are of course some organic development that are done on Android but those are few and quality are mostly not at the same level as the iOS apps.
    To think that BB10 can catch up to iPhone within the first generation (specifically mentioned iPhone5), it is just a pipe dream. Android, with its massive users and market share, won't be able to catch up to iOS until at least next gen, let alone a new OS that has zero market share.
    09-06-12 07:36 PM
    BB10 will be unique when it comes out, and the extra [sweet] time that RIM is taking to release it should ensure that it is perfect in terms of functionality. Add modern hardware to that, and great-to-use developer tools, and the ecosystem will come. Sure the volume of apps will not match iOS (who cares, 95% of the apps are garbage), but the big names are admittedly important.

Then RIM needs to execute and show the end user what BB10 can DO better than all of the other competition. The campaign for the PlayBook claiming that it is 'Flash Loving' was a fail of epic proportions.

The most recent ads that we've seen are much more encouraging. They need to show users how using BlackBerry 10 instead of an iPhone or Android device will make their life easier.

Fingers crossed that the stars will align, BB10 will hit it big and The Rimpire will strike back. They need to remind the world that RIM invented the smartphone, and that now they're re-inventing it.
    09-07-12 10:51 AM
    I may have missed the recent ads? When (and where) were they shown? Are they available online. Love to actually see some BB 10.
    09-07-12 10:54 AM
    I may have missed the recent ads? When (and where) were they shown? Are they available online. Love to actually see some BB 10.

They weren't BB10 Ads; they were used to showcase PlayBook OS 2.0. There was a great ad that showed the 'Open-on' functionality of BlackBerry Bridge among a bunch of other features.

This is it
    09-07-12 11:00 AM
    Thanks. The PlayBook was a flop and distracted RIM from their core business - smartphones. No wonder I didn't recall the ads... And I bought a PB the day they came out.

Wait and see for the big launch in "Q1, 2013".
    09-07-12 11:04 AM
    Thanks. The PlayBook was a flop and distracted RIM from their core business - smartphones. No wonder I didn't recall the ads... And I bought a PB the day they came out.

Wait and see for the big launch in "Q1, 2013".

I agree. I handed over $700 for mine on day 1 as well, March 19th 2011. It has been a flop, but keep in mind the PlayBook gets the BlackBerry 10 update as well when the phones get released...could be an absolute game changer for the PlayBook.
    09-07-12 11:13 AM
    I have lowered my expectations
    09-07-12 11:21 AM
    The biggest risk to apple is if people tire of being locked into the proprietary product line they then avoid it. Like MS.
    09-07-12 11:31 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD