The Smartphone Even The NSA May Have Trouble Hacking Is Coming Soon

If you're worried about the NSA listening in on your smartphone, Silent Circle's "Blackphone" may be the last best hope.
    First announced in January, the Android-based phone goes on sale before the start of July for $629, according to NBC News.

While the price is a bit hefty, it comes with impressive features, including fully encrypted voice, text, and video calls, and a virtual private network that anonymizes web surfing � all built on a custom version of Android.

Demand for such a device certainly ramped up after Edward Snowden began leaking top-secret documents detailing NSA surveillance programs, but Silent Circle had been working on the device long before.

"We did this because there was a problem that was not being solved: secure communications," CEO Mike Janke, a former Navy SEAL, told AFP in January.

With Janke leading the company, Silent Circle's team includes a number of cryptographic experts. including Phil Zimmermann, the creator of the widely-used PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) standard.

The company has taken great pains to ensure it could not give up user data, even if compelled to by a government. While many U.S. companies receive controversial national security letters forcing them to share customer info, Silent Circle is incorporated in Switzerland and has Swiss data centers.

But the main thing that sets the security of the phone apart is that the encryption itself resides only on the handset. While encrypted data passes through the company's servers, the individual keys necessary to unlock and read the data are only on the phones.

Basically, if Silent Circle was forced to hand over data, all they could give up is a bunch of encrypted gibberish.

"There is no such thing as a completely secure phone," Janke told AFP. "Nothing is going to protect you from your own behavior. But out of the box, this phone does a lot of things to protect your privacy."

Silent Circle isn't the only company to come up with such a device. Boeing unveiled their own version of a "black" phone in February that had a "self-destruct" feature.

Read more: Blackphone Set For July Launch - Business Insider
    06-19-14 09:55 AM
    Because, you know, BlackBerry is not existing anymore and the only way to be somewhat secured is to buy an android device. What the actual f***?

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 10:17 AM
    How much you wana bet it gets hacked on the first day due to the fact that it's still android....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-19-14 10:19 AM
    first day hack guarunteed android kernal is so insecure nothing can stop it.
    menshawy likes this.
    06-19-14 10:24 AM
    How about we all stop bashing the device that hasn't released and wait to see how well it does? I know. A crazy idea.

To be fair, BlackBerry doesn't encrypt phone calls, texts, or web surfing out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and propeller10 like this.
    06-19-14 10:31 AM
    lol Secure Android. Neat.
    06-19-14 03:41 PM
    How about we all stop bashing the device that hasn't released and wait to see how well it does? I know. A crazy idea.

To be fair, BlackBerry doesn't encrypt phone calls, texts, or web surfing out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    if they did that they wouldn't have any BES licencing and shooting themselves in the foot.

main problem you cant fix an open source kernal soon as a leak is out by the time its fixed its to late for software pushes that's why BlackBerry will always win in this regard has never been hacked once.
    06-19-14 04:12 PM
    if they did that they wouldn't have any BES licencing and shooting themselves in the foot.

main problem you cant fix an open source kernal soon as a leak is out by the time its fixed its to late for software pushes that's why BlackBerry will always win in this regard has never been hacked once.
    Exactly. Why do you think lenovo wanted to buy BB? So the Chinese could have a backdoor into them.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    06-19-14 05:50 PM
    Exactly. Why do you think lenovo wanted to buy BB? So the Chinese could have a backdoor into them.

And got shut down by Canadian government.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-19-14 07:08 PM
    And got shut down by Canadian government.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    ... Because the Canadian Govt. Knew why lenovo really wanted BB

06-19-14 09:55 PM
    ... Because the Canadian Govt. Knew why lenovo really wanted BB

Well the agencies did yes.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-19-14 10:04 PM
    Crazy on this forum only. In the real world you're making a lot of sense.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Thunderbuck and propeller10 like this.
    06-20-14 03:30 AM
    first day hack guarunteed android kernal is so insecure nothing can stop it.
    How are you guaranteeing that?

What are you going to do if it isn't? Are you finally going to stop making silly and prejudiced comments just because it isn't a BlackBerry?

propeller10 likes this.
    06-20-14 03:32 AM

What are you going to do if it isn't? Are you finally going to stop making silly and prejudiced comments just because it isn't a BlackBerry?

And what If the guarantee is met? Are you going to stop lurking through the forums making inflammatory statements in the hopes of starting an argument as you are wont to do? The guy was just stating his prediction of what will happen, and personally, I wouldn't be surprised if blackphone does get cracked very soon after release.

Last edited by ErnstMach; 06-20-14 at 08:46 AM.
    06-20-14 07:07 AM
    And what If the guarantee is met? Are you going to stop lurking through the forums making inflammatory statements in the hopes of starting an argument as you are wont we do? The guy was just stating his prediction of what will happen, and personally, I wouldn't be surprised if blackphone does get cracked very soon after release.

TLDR; No.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 07:15 AM
    And what If the guarantee is met? Are you going to stop lurking through the forums making inflammatory statements in the hopes of starting an argument as you are wont we do? The guy was just stating his prediction of what will happen, and personally, I wouldn't be surprised if blackphone does get cracked very soon after release.

Lurking?

I'm sorry. I guess I should apologize for not thinking that everything BlackBerry is the best and everything else is terrible. Maybe I should also apologize for not buying into the fact that BlackBerry's misfortunes are of their own making and not due to a conspiracy against them and poor marketing.

I call it like it is and give credit where it's due. When that means BlackBerry gets credit great, but if it means saying something negative about BlackBerry or something positive about another platform so be it. I also have no problem pointing out when other people are saying things that they would be whining about if someone was saying them about BlackBerry.

CrackBerry should be more than just place for people to spew hatred of other platforms without any basis other than the fact that they aren't BlackBerry.

Last edited by crazigee; 06-20-14 at 08:11 AM.
    06-20-14 07:51 AM
    Lurking?

I'm sorry. I guess I should apologize for not thinking that everything BlackBerry is the best and everything else is terrible. Maybe I should also apologize for not buying into the fact that BlackBerry's misfortunes are of their own making and not due to a conspiracy against them and poor marketing.

I call it like it is and give credit where it's due. When that means BlackBerry gets credit great, but if it means saying something negative about BlackBerry or something positive about another platform so be it. I also have no problem pointing out when other people are saying things that they would be whining about if someone was saying them about BlackBerry.

CrackBerry should be more than just place for people to spew hatred of other platforms without any basis other than the fact that they aren't BlackBerry.

Yes lurking, I saw your immature argument about heroes in the other thread. Im not referring to your realistic views on blackberry, but on your inflammatory statements that half contribute, half distract from the conversation. I ditched blackberry for a freaking Android, so im no mindless yes man for everything blackberry does either, but im not an *** about it when it comes down to it. 😊

06-20-14 08:37 AM
    Yes lurking, I saw your immature argument about heroes in the other thread. Im not referring to your realistic views on blackberry, but on your inflammatory statements that half contribute, half distract from the conversation. I ditched blackberry for a freaking Android, so im no mindless yes man for everything blackberry does either, but im not an *** about it when it comes down to it. 😊

Neither am I. But calling someone a hero who clearly has done nothing heroic is insulting to and takes away from the real heroes who have earned and deserve our admiration. If you find that to be inflammatory, I'm sorry but it needed to said.

06-20-14 12:31 PM

Android proven hacked in 10 seconds in all models all devices kernel won't change just because it's been skinned by another developer.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30
    06-20-14 08:07 PM
    Android proven hacked in 10 seconds in all models all devices kernel won't change just because it's been skinned by another developer.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30
    It all comes down to the implementation, though I have to admit securing voice calls via encryption on the device is pretty much impossible unless the other side has an app OR is using the same device as the caller. The problem is any data transfer has to go through somewhere. With BlackBerry that could be the BES, although IDK about voice calls through mobile network. With this Blackphone (notice the Black part) nobody knows.

Can anyone tell me which parts are encrypted by BES and are they still encrypted when sent to recipients?

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    06-20-14 08:22 PM
    Let's have a pool. We have some people who buy into their hype. We have some people who say it'll be a day one hack. I know the NSA better. My bet is the company behind the "Blackphone" is funded by the NSA. The phone won't be "hacked" by the NSA because they'll have direct access to the data. It'll be marketed as a "NSA proof" phone to attract those who might have something they want to hide from the NSA (along with those who simply believe in privacy, which would make up the majority), but everyone will be spied on... That's my guess, and if you don't hear from me for more than a week, you know what happened... :-D
    06-20-14 10:56 PM
    Let's have a pool. We have some people who buy into their hype. We have some people who say it'll be a day one hack. I know the NSA better. My bet is the company behind the "Blackphone" is funded by the NSA. The phone won't be "hacked" by the NSA because they'll have direct access to the data. It'll be marketed as a "NSA proof" phone to attract those who might have something they want to hide from the NSA (along with those who simply believe in privacy, which would make up the majority), but everyone will be spied on... That's my guess, and if you don't hear from me for more than a week, you know what happened... :-D
    Haha. I'll send out the search parties for you.

Personally, I don't know one way or the other whether this phone will turn out to be secure or not. I'm not going to make any assumptions just on the basis that it's an Android.

I also don't really care one way or the other because I have no plans on leaving BlackBerry for another platform anytime soon. That's both because I like BlackBerry and some of its features and also because if I switch platforms now before my contract is up I'll lose my 6gb data plan.

06-21-14 10:30 AM
    Haha. I'll send out the search parties for you.

Personally, I don't know one way or the other whether this phone will turn out to be secure or not. I'm not going to make any assumptions just on the basis that it's an Android.

I also don't really care one way or the other because I have no plans on leaving BlackBerry for another platform anytime soon. That's both because I like BlackBerry and some of its features and also because if I switch platforms now before my contract is up I'll lose my 6gb data plan.

You'll care if it means you'll win this pool, so place your bets! Lol

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10?
    06-21-14 01:16 PM
    Android phone eh? Google is android and they are one of the biggest company's that gives information to NSA I don't trust it

Posted via BlackBerry z10!
    Evilguppy likes this.
    06-27-14 03:41 AM
    Bingo. That's about where I've landed on this, too
    06-27-14 04:07 AM
62 123