Hey guys in my opinion it's a very smart move to exclude from my BBM race since its neck & neck between Blackberry n WP for the 3rd place in the OS battle. Excluding them from the list could maybe mean once BBM gets settled and is that huge that many people start shifting from Whatsapp over to BBM, WP may get lesser buyers since everyone would like to be part of the pack & a person planning to buy a new WP would feel left out & resist himself from buying the phone.

When it comes to getting support from Microsoft regarding apps we can always Sideload em :P

You maybe disagree but it's just my personal opinion since its been seen few apps today can make or break a phone. We saw that happening to BB10 too i.e no native Instagram & Netflix n blah blah regardless of the fact what the phone is a platform & the device

Comments??

Posted via CB10
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    09-19-13 10:47 PM
    If BlackBerry died I would probably switch to a Nokia. That being said I think it's a good move, especially after my Nokia put whatsapp button on their phones.

Posted via CB10
    jevinzac likes this.
    09-19-13 10:53 PM
    Yes it's smart for now because it's not high priority and they have other things to worry about.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1725
    09-20-13 12:09 AM
    extremely smart. WP is only growing in emerging markets. Emerging markets LOVE BBM. it's basically killing one threat in favour of another. Better to lose out to Android and iOS and be 3rd than lose it all. I truly believe BBM will be a big deciding factor in these markets.
    09-20-13 12:18 AM
    A very dumb move (if it was a strategic decision).

BBM needs WP8 more than WP8 needs BBM.

In order to be THE cross-platform solution, they need to be cross-platform first.

But I believe it was not a purposeful decision. They just need more time to develop for the less popular platform.
    Tatperson and ajst222 like this.
    09-20-13 12:42 AM
    I believe that BlackBerry will bring BBM to windows phone eventually but you have to go where the users are. So first iOS and and Android. The Windows desktop and Mac. Then Windows phone.

Sent from my Q10
    bekkay likes this.
    09-20-13 12:45 AM
    extremely smart. WP is only growing in emerging markets.
    Yeah, because the US, UK, France, Italy, Spain and Mexico are surely "emerging" markets...

Smart move to exclude WP for BBM??-market-share-smartphone.jpg
    bekkay and ajst222 like this.
    09-20-13 08:03 AM
    I'm guessing you believe that means people will shift away from WP hardware because BBM isn't available. Is the purpose of cross-platform BBM to shift people towards hardware or to bring people into an ecosystem? Because if it's the former, then there will be plenty of Blackberry users shifting into iOS and Android since they will be able to keep their BBM contacts without Blackberry devices.
    09-20-13 08:08 AM
    At first I thought it was smart but not so much anymore. They aren't "neck and neck" at this point. Windows Phone has great growth while BlackBerry does not.

Why I also don't think it's a good idea to leave out Windows Phone is because it's clear that BBM was not a deciding factor to keep users grounded on BlackBerry phones. They left, and used similar apps to fill their needs. Those apps are in the Windows Store available for Windows Phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 08:10 AM
    A very dumb move (if it was a strategic decision).

BBM needs WP8 more than WP8 needs BBM.

In order to be THE cross-platform solution, they need to be cross-platform first.

But I believe it was not a purposeful decision. They just need more time to develop for the less popular platform.
    I agree. All about resources.

I hope it wasn't strategic. I truly hope not.
    09-20-13 08:20 AM
    I agree. All about resources.

I hope it wasn't strategic. I truly hope not.
    I think it was a strategic move. Kind of a "take this Microsoft" type of deal. I don't think it will work out for them.
    09-20-13 09:21 AM
    If they want to give people a reason to move away from WhatsApp then they need to be on Windows Phone as well. You can't compete if you're not in all your competitors markets.
    iN8ter likes this.
    09-20-13 09:57 AM
    I believe that BlackBerry will bring BBM to windows phone eventually but you have to go where the users are. So first iOS and and Android. The Windows desktop and Mac. Then Windows phone.

Sent from my Q10
    Why would you develop a mobile messaging client for desktop operating systems before a mobile OS like Windows Phone? This makes no sense.
    meherzad87 likes this.
    09-20-13 10:00 AM
    Lol was thinking the same no one is gonna roam around with a laptop in their hand or wants to get tied to a pc. It's all about portability today.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 10:07 AM
    Lol was thinking the same no one is gonna roam around with a laptop in their hand or wants to get tied to a pc. It's all about portability today.

Posted via CB10
    My vision for BBM is to have it be the elite solution for business communication. You have the same application on your phone, tablet, and computer. Imagine you sitting at your desk when you get a message from a coworker asking if you finished a project. Or a boss broadcast messaging an office. No matter where you are, you're available.
    09-20-13 10:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    Why not? If I'm sitting at my computer desk, I'd rather be able to read and respond instantly from the desktop PC, rather than interrupt my groove picking up my mobile device. I do this all the time when people message me via Hangouts.
    bekkay likes this.
    09-20-13 10:20 AM
    I agree, the cross in cross platform must go vertically instead of just horizontally. That's one place where WhatApp just doesn't cut it.
    bekkay likes this.
    09-20-13 10:33 AM
    Simple reason why there's no BBM for Windows Phone:

BES 10 doesn't support managing Windows Phones. Despite everyone ignoring the fact, the only reason BBM went cross platform was as a part of an overall MDM strategy, not as part of a consumer play. As it stands now, BBM through BES10 is the only way they can monetise it on Android and iOS, unless they go the route of ads or the introduction of Channels.
    meherzad87 and BB_Bmore like this.
    09-20-13 10:38 AM
    Hey guys in my opinion it's a very smart move to exclude from my BBM race since its neck & neck between Blackberry n WP for the 3rd place in the OS battle. Excluding them from the list could maybe mean once BBM gets settled and is that huge that many people start shifting from Whatsapp over to BBM, WP may get lesser buyers since everyone would like to be part of the pack & a person planning to buy a new WP would feel left out & resist himself from buying the phone.

When it comes to getting support from Microsoft regarding apps we can always Sideload em :P

You maybe disagree but it's just my personal opinion since its been seen few apps today can make or break a phone. We saw that happening to BB10 too i.e no native Instagram & Netflix n blah blah regardless of the fact what the phone is a platform & the device

Comments??

Posted via CB10

Yea, if you want to be no.3 you must do something about it... otherwise they would take your spot
    09-20-13 10:40 AM
    It's dumb in the sense that cross platform needs everybody!

And blackberry is slow enough when it comes to anything! It's simple prioritizing I guess.

But they need that WP app asap

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 11:00 AM
    If Microsoft can't give us a decent skype app, why should they get the BBM love?

HOWEVER

The competition is not between BB and MSFT. It is between BBM and Whatsapp. Sorry BBM, you gotta get your apps over to Windows Phone to have any hope of dominance.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    09-20-13 11:02 AM
    I guess you're right, but I couldn't care less about wp, no one I know owns one and I think I've seen one in the wild..
    But eh, just my case.
    IMO, BlackBerry should release it for pc/mac first

Posted via my z10 - BBM channel pin C000F331C
    09-20-13 12:52 PM
    My vision for BBM is to have it be the elite solution for business communication. You have the same application on your phone, tablet, and computer. Imagine you sitting at your desk when you get a message from a coworker asking if you finished a project. Or a boss broadcast messaging an office. No matter where you are, you're available.
    Skype for business - save money, stay connected and work smarter with Skype.
    Microsoft Lync

BBM compares terribly compared to already-established players in that market.

Trying to compete with Microsoft and other established players in that market is actually harder than competing in the consumer market, because which services get deployed on those servers is not a choice of the person who holds the phone. Those are business decisions made for business reasons.

In any case, there is no way you could replace Lync or Skype with BBM for business use, even if it had all of BB10's capabilities and desktop clients were available. It simply does not cut it.
    09-20-13 01:13 PM
    Why not? If I'm sitting at my computer desk, I'd rather be able to read and respond instantly from the desktop PC, rather than interrupt my groove picking up my mobile device. I do this all the time when people message me via Hangouts.
    Because if your Mobile Device is a Windows Phone, then you will not even bother installing it on your PC as it would only serve to tether you to your desk...

Don't miss the point, please :-)
    09-20-13 01:27 PM
    If Microsoft can't give us a decent skype app, why should they get the BBM love?

HOWEVER

The competition is not between BB and MSFT. It is between BBM and Whatsapp. Sorry BBM, you gotta get your apps over to Windows Phone to have any hope of dominance.
    The market positions and market traction of Windows Phone is beyond what Blackberry 10 has at the moment. So it's not really logical to use this excuse. That being said, at least you have a Skype app at all.

The hard truth is, and it truly is hard to swallow for a lot of people, that Blackberry 10 is completely ignorable in the current market, while Windows Phone simply isn't. The growth in Windows Phone (and lack of growth in BB10) makes this so.

Do you see anyone demanding they release an Symbian or Firefox OS version? No. Why? Cause those OSes are practically ignorable in the current market.
    09-20-13 01:30 PM
27 12