The notion that BlackBerry should make small body and small screened phones is one of the reasons why they have almost no market share.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 08:27 PM
    Dude, this is a BlackBerry forum.

The 'other device' forum is that way>>>.

BTW. BlackBerry is coming out with a 'clamshell' design soon that will fold up into a nice small package. Posts on the patent industrial design have already been posted on this site.
    I'd be interested in what ever rumors might be going around about that clamshell.

Posted via CB App for Android on Z10
    04-19-15 09:14 PM
    A mini Passport is needed. I know two people who would get it.
    Q10 with a touch keyboard and updated internals sounds like a mini passport to me. They can rebrand it as the "beltless classic"

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DamianWarS; 04-21-15 at 04:21 AM.
    04-20-15 12:42 PM
    The notion that BlackBerry should make small body and small screened phones is one of the reasons why they have almost no market share.

Posted via CB10
    Nope.

When BlackBerry was at its biggest, they did it usually with small screen sizes.
    The last 4 out of 5 phones BlackBerry launched were 5" devices, including the big-WIDE Passport.

The low market share is attributed to other reasons. Dig around. Tons of data on this.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-21-15 01:34 AM
    I have a curve 9300 at work. It is the perfect size and dimensions for me for work
    Depends on what you do. I had a 9300 until about a year ago. And I loved it for it's handyness and true and full one-hand-usability. The main reason to switch to a modern BB10 device was screen size. This dominated even the physical keyboard and I chose a Z30. When you need the browser or navigation or taking photos a screen of a proper size is the ultimate need and increasing the resolution doesn't solve each problem - a font must also be readable with bare eyes. If RIM decides to make a smaller device again this would also mean forget the keyboard, it must be full touch because of the screen size. Nobody can be satisfied today with a 2.5 inch screen.

BTW: First I also hesitated because I thought the Z30 would be big. But this is a question of habituation. My fellows have all bigger devices today.
    spARTacus likes this.
    04-21-15 01:57 AM
    Depends on what you do. I had a 9300 until about a year ago. And I loved it for it's handyness and true and full one-hand-usability. The main reason to switch to a modern BB10 device was screen size. This dominated even the physical keyboard and I chose a Z30. When you need the browser or navigation or taking photos a screen of a proper size is the ultimate need and increasing the resolution doesn't solve each problem - a font must also be readable with bare eyes. If RIM decides to make a smaller device again this would also mean forget the keyboard, it must be full touch because of the screen size. Nobody can be satisfied today with a 2.5 inch screen.

BTW: First I also hesitated because I thought the Z30 would be big. But this is a question of habituation. My fellows have all bigger devices today.
    Makes good sense to me - an ideal phone needs to be suited for it's intended use. My work curve with it's physical keyboard and small screen wouldn't work for my personal needs. My z10 is a perfect phone for my personal needs. Anything bigger in my opinion will be too awkward for me. My work curve still works great for my work needs. However, lately I have been thinking that my personal z10 with it's virtual keyboard would probably also work just as well for me at work as my old curve, even with all the emails we use.

Anything physically bigger than my z10 is still going to be too big for me though (in my opinion), for my personal or my work needs.

04-21-15 05:17 PM
    Makes good sense to me - an ideal phone needs to be suited for it's intended use. My work curve with it's physical keyboard and small screen wouldn't work for my personal needs. My z10 is a perfect phone for my personal needs. Anything bigger in my opinion will be too awkward for me. My work curve still works great for my work needs. However, lately I have been thinking that my personal z10 with it's virtual keyboard would probably also work just as well for me at work as my old curve, even with all the emails we use.

Anything physically bigger than my z10 is still going to be too big for me though (in my opinion), for my personal or my work needs.

I have this feeling that you must be in the UK. Are you? The whole small phone/ small screen paradigm is long dead in NA. Maybe as a $40 feature phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 07:26 PM
    9800/9810 was the perfect format in my opinion.
    Agreed! The Passport is pretty great but the Torch was still my favorite. However, after comparing the two side by side, the keyboard on the torch was quite inferior. Here's hoping the new slider nails it!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    04-21-15 07:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I guess I don't want BlackBerry to go belly up just trying to satisfy my desires to not have to carry a large phone. It would only make sense strategically for them if lots of folks felt the same way.

04-21-15 08:20 PM
    I may stand alone, but I still believe that there is a definite market for an upgraded Z10 design, that sports a SIDE-sliding keyboard.
    No, sorry, the Leap is not a Z10 refresh!

Think of all the buttons that can be employed with a side slider...
    Now add Miracast, WiFi direct, and all the features that the new BlackBerry 'Slide' phone just around the corner will offer.

If you just don't like a hardware keyboard, then don't slide! Keep the nice compact form factor, and just use the touch feature. When it is drizzling outside, or really cold, you will want the hardware keyboard.
    spARTacus likes this.
    04-21-15 08:31 PM
    I have this feeling that you must be in the UK. Are you? The whole small phone/ small screen paradigm is long dead in NA. Maybe as a $40 feature phone.

Posted via CB10
    No I am in NA. I just don't share the desire that so many have for larger phones. I use a tablet or a PC for extended functionality and use my phone for mobile functionality. I can honestly say I regularly use no more than a handful of apps, then including infrequent use maybe up a maximum of a dozen, with maybe a dozen more at max including ones I seldom use. Maybe my next phone will be a 40$ feature phone.

Posted via CB App for Android on Tab4 (interim Playbook replacement)
    jrsva2008 and Bbnivende like this.
    04-21-15 09:07 PM
    A landscape slider is definitely not in demand. Just buy a Classic if you want a reasonably sized PKB.

Posted via CB10
    spARTacus likes this.
    04-21-15 09:54 PM
    A landscape slider is definitely not in demand. Just buy a Classic if you want a reasonably sized PKB.

Posted via CB10
    Why? Becaus you say so? Classic lacks the screen size and 16:9 format.
    Beside that, who else is making a side-slider? Is that what you base your theory on?
    Lots of BlackBerry fans want a Z10 size refresh, and why not throw in a slide feature on it? Use it, or don't.

BTW: What was your opinion of BlackBerry making a so-called loser of a phone called the Passport, that has won the Red Dot, and some various phone competitions lately? I really dig my Passport.
    I am just happy to see BlackBerry rehashing not only old designs, but also being the only player willing to take some chances.
    spARTacus likes this.
    04-22-15 06:56 PM
    Before the MWC slider was announced, some people here have suggested a landscape slider. This format received very little support on CB. It is my impression that the only successful slider was the portrait Torch design by BlackBerry.

I think the reason no one builds an updated landscape slider is due to a lack of sales for this format. Your best bet is to purchase an iPhone 5 and a bluetooth slider case for it.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 09:06 PM
    In my opinion (not suggesting a fact) there is a market for a premium and cheap all touch phone with the same body size as a Z10 but with a larger screen. The new standard for a mini phone format is around 4.5 to 4.7 inches.

Posted via CB10
    spARTacus likes this.
    04-22-15 09:17 PM
    What I'd do for a pearl-type bb10 device same keyboard type, same length and maybe wider to get maybe a 3' 720x720 screen. No need for a touch screen.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 09:27 PM
    I think a Z10 with a landscape sliding keyboard behind would be a considerable idea.
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    04-23-15 04:14 AM
    So I know I have been saying that the z10 is about as big as I would want, but all the Venice rumors and video/picture leaks are making me wonder if I could settle for something as big as a z30, which might be about the size also of the Venice. Not a horizontal slider, but fairly impressive thus far from the leak views.

09-19-15 04:33 PM
    I still side with the next phone being a Z10 size with a landscape (sideways) slider keyboard. Touch sensitive, of course.
    09-19-15 10:52 PM
    I have a 9700 that I'm seriously thinking about resurrecting every time I pick it up - it feels perfect in my hand. Oh and the battery is running fine - still!

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 10:58 PM
    Or a Pearl that would be ideal

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 10:59 PM
    Dude, this is a BlackBerry forum.

The 'other device' forum is that way>>>.

BTW. BlackBerry is coming out with a 'clamshell' design soon that will fold up into a nice small package. Posts on the patent industrial design have already been posted on this site.
    Along with a lot of other designed that never came about.
    09-19-15 11:03 PM
    Nope.

When BlackBerry was at its biggest, they did it usually with small screen sizes.
    The last 4 out of 5 phones BlackBerry launched were 5" devices, including the big-WIDE Passport.

The low market share is attributed to other reasons. Dig around. Tons of data on this.
    And how many years ago was that? 2007, 2008?
    09-19-15 11:05 PM
    Before the MWC slider was announced, some people here have suggested a landscape slider. This format received very little support on CB. It is my impression that the only successful slider was the portrait Torch design by BlackBerry.

I think the reason no one builds an updated landscape slider is due to a lack of sales for this format. Your best bet is to purchase an iPhone 5 and a bluetooth slider case for it.

Posted via CB10
    There are still landscape sliders. I guess just not what people consider a smartphone
    09-19-15 11:08 PM
    There are still landscape sliders. I guess just not what people consider a smartphone
    Which is why I can't figure out why a true Landscape high-end smartphone is not being offered(!) I feel that people don't know what they are missing; a small footprint that sits easily in your hands even when in slide-out, which would allow for proper full querty typing. A no brainer to me.

I recall before my iPhone 3g, there was a Windows based landscape slider from HTC that was great. Only thing was (as you mentioned), lacked the true smartphone appeal a la' iPhone.

Here's to hoping....
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-20-15 12:44 PM
61 123