This thread mainly pertains to small business owners/recent startups in the states using one of the "big four" wireless carriers...

Reading through the countless threads on the ongoing OS7 vs OS10 debate regarding device/OS/service pros, cons, bugs, limitations, etc I'm realizing that I (and possibly others here too) really need a more consolidated view of where BB small business owners are currently at and why they are sticking to their OS7/OS10 devices/carrier plans FROM AN OVERALL COST (carrier, external services, hardware/software, etc) vs BENEFIT perspective.

Just looking to see what one's device/service options would be in my position to how others are determined the cost/benefit ratios of each when coming to their conclusion.

My situation:
    I'm looking to setup an inexpensive (as possible) yet secure mobile POS solution, business email, MDM for myself as an independant contractor, eventually expanding the business and incorporating down the road.
    07-25-13 03:41 PM
    Hi, redundant thread closed, this one moved to General BB Discussion Forum, and thread title edited a bit for you.
    (Changed "OS7" to "legacy BBOS" and "OS10" to "BB10". Wasn't sure how may people would know what SBOs meant.)

Great topic though, so hopefully you get some good discussion going.
    07-25-13 04:30 PM
    I'm running my 2 clothing stores using bb10/active sync for are devices and everything has worked quite well, and didn't turn out to be as expensive as I thought, but at the same time you think they would offer small business owners something.

I have the same thoughts on pos because I know you can use ios devices as pos solutions, and I'd definitely rather use a Bbry device.

Posted Via CB10 | C00016D82
    Berrysmoothy likes this.
    07-25-13 05:38 PM
    I'm in Canada, but our situation is similar. I just switched from Torch 9810 to Q10. I paid a penalty to get out of the contract early, but my new contract is sufficiently less expensive that it was a worthwhile move.

Currently I have not been able to find a POS provider that supports BB10. I phone in credit card numbers, and even though it's a bit cumbersome, I simply wouldn't feel safe using an iPhone or Android to send cc numbers wirelessly. Some providers are coming up with mobile website solutions, so I'm looking into them.

For everything else, the Q10 rocks. I have a quoting spreadsheet saved on the phone (and on Dropbox, just to be safe), so figuring out a quote and firing off an email to a prospective client is a breeze. I also have a formatted invoice template (although I need to enter invoices manually into my accounting software on my desktop).

If I have to look at drawings, I usually use my PlayBook (which still bridges well to the Q10, in spite of reduced functionality). And I still don't have Internet service at work - the data plan on the Q10 is more than sufficient to do what I need online.

So bottom line - I'm waiting and hoping for POS support in the near future (and I make sure I tell POS sales reps that I will switch to whomever is the first with a BB10 app). For everything else, I'm totally happy.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG and Berrysmoothy like this.
    07-25-13 06:21 PM
    I've actually noticed what appears to be a full featured pos app in BlackBerry World... it's called Enders Point of Sale and they offer a demo version if you want to try before you buy. Downside is that it is per device and will not link info across devices, but, it does process credit cards through Bluepay...

Attachment 186029
    Berrysmoothy likes this.
    07-25-13 10:02 PM
    ok sorry, I wasn't sure how to go about posting this or where to put it! :-p
    Hi, redundant thread closed, this one moved to General BB Discussion Forum, and thread title edited a bit for you.
    (Changed "OS7" to "legacy BBOS" and "OS10" to "BB10". Wasn't sure how may people would know what SBOs meant.)

Great topic though, so hopefully you get some good discussion going.
    07-31-13 08:38 PM
    II have the same thoughts on pos because I know you can use ios devices as pos solutions, and I'd definitely rather use a Bbry device.

Posted Via CB10 | C00016D82
    I just posted this, you might find it helpful:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...s-sbos-834359/
    07-31-13 11:28 PM
    Was your wireless service was charging you more for using your older BB as opposed to your newer BB, or was that seperate?

I was mainly referring to COMBINED cost differences of everything between using an OS7 vs OS10 device+services (carrier+BESx , etc). I may have not been very clear enough in my post for everyone. Anyways, no worries, helpful info in the responses here ....

btw, see below for the link to my BB-compatable POS post if you want, might help you out.

I'm in Canada, but our situation is similar. I just switched from Torch 9810 to Q10. I paid a penalty to get out of the contract early, but my new contract is sufficiently less expensive that it was a worthwhile move.

Currently I have not been able to find a POS provider that supports BB10. I phone in credit card numbers, and even though it's a bit cumbersome, I simply wouldn't feel safe using an iPhone or Android to send cc numbers wirelessly. Some providers are coming up with mobile website solutions, so I'm looking into them.

For everything else, the Q10 rocks. I have a quoting spreadsheet saved on the phone (and on Dropbox, just to be safe), so figuring out a quote and firing off an email to a prospective client is a breeze. I also have a formatted invoice template (although I need to enter invoices manually into my accounting software on my desktop).

If I have to look at drawings, I usually use my PlayBook (which still bridges well to the Q10, in spite of reduced functionality). And I still don't have Internet service at work - the data plan on the Q10 is more than sufficient to do what I need online.

So bottom line - I'm waiting and hoping for POS support in the near future (and I make sure I tell POS sales reps that I will switch to whomever is the first with a BB10 app). For everything else, I'm totally happy.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 11:41 PM