I would buy either a Slider or a Flip(with a smaller screen) if time and effort were put into one or both and didn't come off as cheap and/or cheesy.

Yep: .700 & Updated. 700 bar file. Disclaimer: Works for "me". (~_*)
    I'm right with you, my friend.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 05:04 AM
    Given what I have seen of phones that BlackBerry is producing, if they were to announce a slider that was essentially a Z50 with a sliding keyboard, I'd sign up for it and pay for it in advance, without even having to see any pre-production photos.
    07-02-14 10:38 AM
    ..slider! yes! one for me please!

Posted with my Z10 or Z30! ..mostly on my Q10. ..while I wait for a BB slider and of course the Passport!
    07-02-14 10:58 AM
    That would be fine with me, as long as it's better than the one Typo created.

Yeah the only slider needs to be a keyboard peripheral sliding onto an all touch Blackberry. Get over it
    07-02-14 12:39 PM
    If they did a slider RIGHT, it would be a kick A SS phone that would set peoples minds right
    Tim Heard likes this.
    07-02-14 12:41 PM
    Well said.

@RyanGermann, you are my favorite person of the day! :-)

TB you're in my top 10 favourite CrackBerry members ever. Seriously. But your opinion about sliders is just so wrong and makes me sad.

No one who wants a slider, still, even with the excellent full slab devices featuring all major mobile OSes, cares one bit about how thin and light their device is... knowing full well that a powerful, large-screen slider can be thin and light ENOUGH to be practical, without compromises... and there is such a thing as TOO thin. I personally find a bare iPhone too SMALL to handle. It's always slipping out of my hands, but of course lots of people love it JUST as it is (and would love a larger one even more). I'm 6'1, so that's a factor, but you don't have to be Lurch to love a big phone.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/break...170203429.html

Saying "the market for sliders is not as big as it used to be" is (what is it, ironic? maybe not) odd on a BlackBerry site. We're here because we are fans of niche devices. How niche-y is too niche-y? Ask the guy who made Faberg� eggs (not-ironically, some guy named Faberg�) for the Russian royal family and I think he'll tell you "if you can make a profit, the market is not to small". But he's been dead for about a hundred years, so you can't ask him, but if you could, that's what he'd say.

Also, there are plenty of folks here on BlackBerry using full-touch devices with the best virtual keyboard available on a mobile device and we STILL want our no-compromises full-slab + physical keyboard device. Go figure! How many? Well, so long as it's at least 1 more than the number of devices BlackBerry builds and sells at a profit, then it doesn't matter.

TB, don't make me come up to the Arctic and give you a spanking! That 30%-40% higher price figure is purely speculative, and in fact has been debunked, backed by iSuppli research that said the additional cost of the slider was something like $10-$20 to the cost of a $220 device. That's a 10% premium that's well worth it considering the excessive markup on phone hardware in general. I'd pay $50 more for a slider so they can cover the additional $10 cost, and I bet every single slider fan would do the same. Far and away, the screen, the memory, the chipset, and the battery technology are what comprise the bulk of the device cost, slider or not. The slider mechanism is a solved technology problem, the Torch 9800 was rugged, the 9810 ruggeder still, and for an extra $10 a BB10 slider could be even ruggederer. er.

I went looking on CrackBerry for the post that had details about iSuppli's costs for the 9800 or 9810, and how the cost of the "casing" was broken out as being something like $10 more than that of other devices. I couldn't find that one, but I saw one of yours where you said you are skeptical that the cost could be as low as $10... you're suggesting a 30% to 40% premium: so that would make a $200 device cost $260 or $280? No. Way. I'd be willing to say as much as $30 more on a $200 device, which would increase the price at retail by probably $60. I'd pay that in a second, without blinking, and I think other slider advocates would, too. Basically, the 'credible' cost premium is also irrelevant, so long as BlackBerry doesn't over-produce or under-charge: a limited run of devices sold at a profit a la the Z3 = profitability and increasingly good stock prices, corporate reputation, respect for the BlackBerry brand. Designing and marketing a slider isn't doom and gloom for a well managed company.

Prior to Star Wars, no one had released a decent Sci-Fi movie for years, then Star Wars came out and, well, then a few years later, "Saturn 3" starring Farrah Fawcett and a naked Kirk Douglas and Harvey Keitel came out! And likewise, in 2007, the iPhone came out, and we've been suffering ever since. (I could have just said "that's irrelevant" but I wanted to be light-hearted about it.)

I can see the marketing tag line already! "Thicker. Heavier. Uglier."... but if there was an actually BlackBerry brand "Typo" but a slider mechanism for my Z30, I think I'd buy it in a second. I don't want no third-party non-BlackBerry crap... but then again, BlackBerry could produce this hardware for the Galaxy Note series and I'd probably buy a Note, buy this keyboard addon thing, and ditch BB altogether... nah, may zeus smite me for even JOKING about that.
    07-02-14 12:41 PM
    I have to disagree on this point. The Torch was horrible. The screen was too small and they keys were too cramped.
    If by "similar" you mean "a slider" then I agree.
    What I want though is a screen larger than a Z10, and wouldn't complain if it were as large as a Z30, with a nice, well-spaced physical traditional BlackBerry QWERTY keyboard that slides out at the bottom. As an added benefit of being a slider, BlackBerry could add more battery life, more speakers, a better camera, and more, because there's more internal space for stuff.
    People are saying that nobody would like a slider because of thickness, yet people are beginning to gush over the Passport, which is wider than any phone that has been produced. A "thick" slider would be much less cumbersome, and phone balance is not a problem.

A BB10 phone similar to the Torch would be awesome.

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    07-02-14 12:48 PM
    Well, I guess then we should just close the company and have everyone buy a Samsung.

Even when all phones had physical keyboards, I only saw maybe 2 sliders in the wild. Even Nokia with Symbian, most of their phones were non sliders. So why produce sliders now when it was not that popular back then? That's the first question that will come up in a Board meeting.
    07-02-14 12:50 PM
    Have you all not learned? The only thing that matters is whether or not CrApple is doing it, anything else is useless or old fashioned and not needed.

Give me a slider powered by a Squircle.
    07-02-14 08:26 PM
    Petitioning John Chen

Release a Blackberry 10 Slider

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petition...erry-10-slider
    07-07-14 02:17 AM
    A slider would be more popular with the general public than a square screen phone.

There should be a portrait and a landscape model.

If BlackBerry is going to continue giving priority to new styles/segments, it would be logical for these to appear in the not too distant future.

But a true upgrade to the Z10 is seriously missing. It should also upgrade the Z30. It would be normal for this to come first.
    07-07-14 01:14 PM
    A slider would be more popular with the general public than a square screen phone.

There should be a portrait and a landscape model.

If BlackBerry is going to continue giving priority to new styles/segments, it would be logical for these to appear in the not too distant future.

But a true upgrade to the Z10 is seriously missing. It should also upgrade the Z30. It would be normal for this to come first.
    Not sure until we have a chance to test out a slider vs a Passport. Generally speaking the reviews of the 9900 were better than for the Torch slider. Still it would be cool to try out a 4.5 inch slider. No way for a landscape slider ever.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 04:01 PM
    While I'm not a slider fan, I would have expected a slider out next prior to a large square phone. But hey, what do I know. Maybe it will sell.

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    07-07-14 04:09 PM
    Just signed the petition for a slider on another thread. Hope Chen sees it.
    07-07-14 04:41 PM
64 123