01-03-12 01:16 PM
    I have this article mentioned in the Rumored Devices 'Milan' Section, I wasn't for sure if I should post it here in news and rumors or in the specific 'Milan' section so if I have posted it in the wrong section, please close my thread. Thanks

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...celled-684456/
    01-03-12 01:19 PM
    unoffical device gets unoffically cancelled.......should i be unoffically dissapointed?
    01-03-12 01:21 PM
    I'm not a slider fan so I could care less either way - however if true - it may speak to either (a) direction of RIM, (b) further indications of the rumor that QNX is showing great difficulty in adapting to the BES infrastucture, or (c) nothing at all, just one more of a dozen or so models RIM tests each year which never make it to production runs.
    01-03-12 01:28 PM
    It's probably just one iteration of slider designs that didn't make the cut. I'm sure they will keep the slider form factor alive. It has been pretty popular.
    01-03-12 01:33 PM
    Well, what we saw may have only been an early protype model and who knows what other design changes needed to be done due to them switching to the chipset they delayed the release for.
    01-03-12 01:45 PM
    Hmm..a 4.2" screen with a portrait slideout? No wonder they were having "hardware" issues.. That thing would be hella awkward to try to type on due to balance issues..not to mention a quality control nightmare (hello Torch 9800 slider issues)
    01-03-12 02:20 PM
    Don't know where N4BB is getting 4.2" screen, the only rumor I have seen is from the verge and that was a screen size of 3.7"
    01-03-12 03:33 PM
    A portrait slider at that size would have been a waste of time anyways. Going to a landscape slider with a 4.X inch screen makes a lot more sense.
    app_Developer and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-03-12 04:28 PM
    I think this is great news. BB needs to get away from these keyboard phones if it wants to be able to compete with the big boys.
    01-03-12 04:35 PM
    I think this is great news. BB needs to get away from these keyboard phones if it wants to be able to compete with the big boys.
    While I agree that RIM needs to put more focus on non-physical keyboard phones - as that's where the competition is killing them, they would be wise not to abandon it as there's a sizeable market for those who demand it.
    recompile likes this.
    01-03-12 04:39 PM
    While I agree that RIM needs to put more focus on non-physical keyboard phones - as that's where the competition is killing them, they would be wise not to abandon it as there's a sizeable market for those who demand it.
    I remember when cars would bring both a cassette player and CD player because some would not let go of old technology. Finally those hold outs adapted and cassette finally died. Same needs to happen to keyboard phones.
    01-03-12 04:49 PM
    I remember when cars would bring both a cassette player and CD player because some would not let go of old technology. Finally those hold outs adapted and cassette finally died. Same needs to happen to keyboard phones.
    Just like it happened with Computers.... wait...
    recompile and Jake2826 like this.
    01-03-12 05:32 PM
    I'm not a slider fan so I could care less either way - however if true - it may speak to either (a) direction of RIM, (b) further indications of the rumor that QNX is showing great difficulty in adapting to the BES infrastucture, or (c) nothing at all, just one more of a dozen or so models RIM tests each year which never make it to production runs.
    i think its more a case of C. i disagree with option B, as how would the form factor of a device matter as to BBX + BES integration anymore than a touchscreen only device?
    01-03-12 05:44 PM
    really? next you`ll be saying to bin BBM then lol, BBM and keyboards are RIM`s two strong cards to play. getting rid of either would be a mistake. sure they make touchscreen only devices, but thats not for everyones taste.
    recompile and llllBULLSEYE like this.
    01-03-12 05:45 PM
    Not exactly a good comparison. Cassette players had no advantage over CD players, therefore it's future was dead.

Many people prefer a physical keyboard, and will never get used to a non-physical keyboard. It's not like RIM is the only company that produces a device with a physical keyboard.

And if a physical keyboard is "old technology" that needs to die, we wouldn't still have them on our computers.
    01-03-12 06:42 PM
    Not exactly a good comparison. Cassette players had no advantage over CD players, therefore it's future was dead.

Many people prefer a physical keyboard, and will never get used to a non-physical keyboard. It's not like RIM is the only company that produces a device with a physical keyboard.

And if a physical keyboard is "old technology" that needs to die, we wouldn't still have them on our computers.
    In the beginning cassette had the advantage of being able to record.

Computers are not the same as smartphones. Smartphone users want big screens and phones that are not bulky, keyboards ruin the smartphone experience. I know it does for me since my screen is tiny.
    01-03-12 06:59 PM
    This is the end
    Beautiful friend
    This is the end
    My only friend, the end.

(of the slider).
    01-03-12 07:27 PM
    I really hope they don't abandon the slider idea. Even though currently I have a 9780, I really do like the Torch 9800/9810. Personally, I would've loved my next BlackBerry to be a Torch like device running BB10
    01-03-12 09:01 PM

Computers are not the same as smartphones. Smartphone users want big screens and phones that are not bulky, keyboards ruin the smartphone experience. I know it does for me since my screen is tiny.
    Only keyboard phones are bulky? Have you seen the Galaxy Nexus?
    01-03-12 10:03 PM

not all people use smartphones as a consumption device and some people use it for pure communication reasons and in that case nothing could beat a physical keyboard. I never believe that a touch screen key board would shine over a decent physical key board. Had that been the reason our laptop would have long sported touch screen key boards.
    01-03-12 11:14 PM
    Well, this is a rumor, isnt it?
    01-03-12 11:19 PM
    RIM is not going to abandon physical keyboards on BlackBerry phones.
    RIM is not going to abandon BIS/BES.
    RIM is not going to replace BBOS or BB10 with Android.

Somebody fancies throwing one or more of these idiotic suggestions in almost every thread in which they post, whether or not it is relevant to the thread topic, no matter how many times these nonsensical notions are shot down. This strongly suggests to me that this individual is simply trolling for a reaction.

RIM will go belly-up or get bought out before any of these things have a prayer of happening. You don't like keyboards on phones. We get it. You don't seem to care much for anything RIM does. Please find a new tune or just take this crap somewhere else.
    Smartie020 likes this.
    01-03-12 11:23 PM

The word you are looking for to put before your second sentence beginning with "Smartphone users..." is SOME. Not all smartphone users want/need a huge screen to accomplish their everyday needs. Some users use their phones for games, video, web, etc while others use their phone for e-mail, text, web, etc. Everyone is not the same and does not have the same taste, if so, there would be one company that produces one phone.
    01-04-12 07:22 AM
    The only thing wrong with the current slider, I'm using my 9800 as the example, is the keyboard should be bigger.

Typing on the screen is not 'modern', it's just what Apple (and others) did and people live with it.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    01-04-12 08:42 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD