Why is it when I press the top button on my Blackberry, sometimes I still get calls and alerts? Whenever I engage it, I get the "entering silent mode" message, but it doesn't work. Is there a setting that I'm missing?
    01-09-09 03:07 PM
    Are you sure the message is not "Now entering standby mode"?
    Standby just shuts off the screen. To make it silent you would
    have to set your profile to Quiet.
    01-09-09 03:32 PM
    yes, AG is right. i have the same model (8330) and holding the mute button puts the phone in standby, not silent.

to put in silent:

Profiles
    Quiet (or another that you have set up)

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ications-1623/
    01-09-09 03:38 PM
    Are you sure the message is not "Now entering standby mode"?
    Standby just shuts off the screen. To make it silent you would
    have to set your profile to Quiet.
    Ok, now I'm confused. It does say "standby mode"....duh. LOL What is the difference between standby mode and doing a keyboard lock?
    01-09-09 03:41 PM
    Ok, now I'm confused. It does say "standby mode"....duh. LOL What is the difference between standby mode and doing a keyboard lock?
    i don't think there is a difference. putting the phone in standby mode locks the keyboard and turns out the light. very useful!

i hid the keyboard lock icon because i use the mute key standby mode shortcut.
    01-09-09 03:43 PM
    Standy bye is uselss button should have an on and off button or a mute one touch button

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 03:45 PM
    Standy bye is uselss button should have an on and off button or a mute one touch button

there is a Turn Power Off icon.
    there is also a mute button (it's the same as the stanby button).

how do you put your device in standby if not with the mute/standby button?
    01-09-09 03:47 PM
    as the others have stated standby mode does not keep from ringing or alerting you. It is only good for the immediate phone call you receive. by pressing down on the button it stops audible tone.

Keyboard lock does what is says, locks the keyboard but doesn't prevent you from answering or making calls. The latter is a setup function which allows those with password protect phones to still make outgoing calls without having to input their password.
    01-09-09 03:49 PM
    Very very useful. It actually reserves the battery

01-09-09 03:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD