People who put greater value on a more portable device will consider the playbook over the ipad and anyone who sees just how good hd video looks on that screen will think twice too, but just like blackberries they are going to be about steadily increasing sales rather than headline grabbing queues on launch days.
    04-19-11 10:29 AM
    It's off to a great start! The largest US carriers (AT&T) customers cant access Playbook via Blackberry Bridge.

AT&T leaves PlayBook users out in the cold; no official BlackBerry Bridge support yet | BGR

Yes it's on AT&T's side but this should have been ironed out from the beginning and/or should have not even been an issue to begin with.

I cant recall any other tablet having this issue
    Last edited by JD914; 04-19-11 at 01:02 PM.
    04-19-11 12:59 PM
    I cant recall any other tablet having this issue
    That's because no other tablet has a free tethering option.
    04-19-11 01:06 PM
    Now why did you have to go and do that. It completely ruined his agenda.

04-19-11 01:18 PM
    Now why did you have to go and do that. It completely ruined his agenda.

But he has stated he doesn't have an agenda.:
    04-19-11 01:21 PM
    So glad to see somebody else gets it. And just to add to that, the reason they are initially targeting BlackBerry users is that's where they have the best shot at gaining traction out of the gate. As it's been been noted in a number of articles now, it would be futile to attempt to go at Apple and the iPad head-to-head by targeting non-BlackBerry consumers. The approach RIM is taking makes sense.

I cannot understand why so many people seem to think the initial release of this thing will be the final version.
    I agree. It is a niche market right now, but also, many initial IPad owners purchased strictly wifi versions. Anyone can use the PlayBook and use it on Wifi! Ipad and PlayBook cater to two different groups. Not everyone wants an IPad either!

ATT is currently testing the tethering option as well.

Email, Calendar, tasks...yep, I would have thought having those native apps at release would not only be smart, but also a basic need for anyone that wanted one...but knowing its coming may be good enough for now since all email can be obtained from webmail...calendars can be synced online and used through it's online calendar such as google calendar.

Is it LESS convenient, Yes! Is it a Deal Breaker, No! Not everyone is tech savvy though, so it may hold up some sales, but overall, and in the near future, you'll probably see more positive reviews, even without the mail, calendar and tasks....

Those who own blackberry's will definitely benefit more, but non-blackberry users can still easily take advantage of it, but with wifi.
    04-19-11 01:39 PM
    Free tethering? Are we referring to the Playbook? The tethering itself might be free but the BIS/BES on the device it's tethered to isn't.
    04-19-11 03:04 PM
    Free tethering? Are we referring to the Playbook? The tethering itself might be free but the BIS/BES on the device it's tethered to isn't.
    When is a data plan ever free?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 03:25 PM
    Does that matter? That BIS plan is the same exact plan as a normal data plan. The BB is giving data access to the PB. That is tethering. I don't care if it goes through the same way the device itself does. One device giving data access to another is tethering.

The BB allowing internet/data to a WiFi only device is tethering. Every other device out there that tries to do this legally/officially gets tethering charges.
    04-19-11 03:35 PM
    Does that matter? That BIS plan is the same exact plan as a normal data plan. The BB is giving data access to the PB. That is tethering. I don't care if it goes through the same way the device itself does. One device giving data access to another is tethering.

The BB allowing internet/data to a WiFi only device is tethering. Every other device out there that tries to do this legally/officially gets tethering charges.
    ok were in agreement, BIS/BES is a data plan.

Tethering is the ability to give a device data access

and devices with tethering features incur tethering charges

04-19-11 04:16 PM

Are we in agreement? I said the BB is giving the PB free tethering and you said the data plan itself was not free, which is what I wasn't talking about. lol
    04-19-11 04:18 PM
    I hate to say but I think that RIM may have made a mistake. After 12 hours with my new 64GB Playbook, I returned it to Office Depot.

Just did not impress me like my iPad2. Bridge was not ready from AT&T and when you did the work around to get it installed you could like your Blackberry with the PB but if you are on AT&T you could not do the Internet.

This is why there was a lot of lack of information before the PB came out as both RIM and AT&T did not want to tell us that it was going to require tethering plan.

No matter as I would only use this device for the Internet and I could not expect anything to that better than the iPad.

It scares me how much RIM has put into this tablet and have so many unhappy!
    04-19-11 04:46 PM
    it really does suck that most of you got your hopes up so high that you view this as a fail. i feel that it does everything they said it would do and it does it very well. i would never buy a 3g tablet do to the fact that i would have to shell out more money to a mobile provider thats main goal is to make money by screwing the consumer. six that att still found a way to screw some of us even though rim built in a way around it.
    @jd your comments r getting pointless. we all pay for data plans on our smartphones some of us like me are not charged extra for tethering some people are the fact that rim gave bb users a way not to give carries extra money was good till they caught on. o well if have something relevant to add kool if not move on man
    04-19-11 05:00 PM
    oops double post
    Last edited by mooda; 04-20-11 at 07:44 AM.
    04-19-11 05:00 PM

BlackBerry bridge is more like a remote screen in which case it is not tethering.

04-19-11 09:13 PM
    BlackBerry bridge is more like a remote screen in which case it is not tethering.

Exactly right. The bridge gives you access to limited data and functions on your BB phone, such as the phone's email, calendar, and browser (if it works). True tethering gives you the same access as you would have if the pb is connected direct to wifi, which the bridge does not. I.e., apps that require a web connection won't work over the bridge.

BTW, I can't get the bridge browser to load past the first page (as I've seen from a few other folks as well). But at least I got the rest of it working, thanks to a couple of very helpful guys in the AT&T bridge-b!tching thread.

But anyway, considering the very limited and slow function of the bridge browser, AT&T's braintrust must be high to think they're justified in milking customers for more money for it. Seriously, even if it ever works right, nobody would use it unless they absolutely had to.
    04-19-11 09:41 PM
    Exactly right. The bridge gives you access to limited data and functions on your BB phone, such as the phone's email, calendar, and browser (if it works). True tethering gives you the same access as you would have if the pb is connected direct to wifi, which the bridge does not. I.e., apps that require a web connection won't work over the bridge.

BTW, I can't get the bridge browser to load past the first page (as I've seen from a few other folks as well). But at least I got the rest of it working, thanks to a couple of very helpful guys in the AT&T bridge-b!tching thread.

But anyway, considering the very limited and slow function of the bridge browser, AT&T's braintrust must be high to think they're justified in milking customers for more money for it. Seriously, even if it ever works right, nobody would use it unless they absolutely had to.
    Its the first version I'm sure it will keep getting better.
    04-19-11 10:20 PM
    Its the first version I'm sure it will keep getting better.
    Oh yeah, I agree. And I know I'm taking this even more off-topic, but bridging is totally different from true tethering, and AT&T is out of their minds blocking it for whatever reason that isn't what they're saying it is.

On a much more positive note, just about everything else about this thing is wickedly cool.
    04-19-11 10:38 PM
    After reading many reviews and the comments in this forum I feel that the
    PB was brought out to soon.

Expectations were high and the product was not ready to meet said expectations.
    The issues with the evil AT&T just adds to the problem.

It shows that the product was not ready for many of the BB folks, as many are on AT&T.
    This is both RIMs and AT&Ts fault for not getting this out of the way first.

Then letting folks think it was an IPad killer was the other mistake which rests fully
    on RIMs shoulders. In its current form there is no way it will even put a dent in the IPad.

The PB is off to a rough start no matter what folks say or post. It's a fact reflected
    in the reviews, the number sold today and the drop in RIM stock.
    Some Best Buy stores had 5 PBs in stock and tonight when they closed still having the 5.

Do I think it has what it takes to be a good to great pad, yes. But right now it doesn't.

Hopefully RIM learns from this as to not hype something it isn't yet and to release future
    products with more forethought and planning.

I did not run out and buy one as I suspected unforeseen issues as well as the issues
    presented beforehand. But if the issues are fixed and some useful applications are made available I will invest in one. But not until then.

Tim
    04-19-11 11:17 PM
    How do you make a Lawn tractor appealing to the general public?
    You don't. If they have a 1 acre yard like me, it's appealing. If they don't, they get a lawn mower or get someone to cut it.

You don't. If they have a Blackberry, it's appealing. If they don't, then they get an iPad 2 or T-Mobile G-Slate (which is quite sexy, BTW).
    04-20-11 05:37 AM
    Also all this "RIM has always stated it was Blackberry amplified" spun in a way to mean it's an accessory is a lie. When they said blackberry amplified they mean a better blackberry experience. The playbook OS is the precursor to RIM's QNX-based Blackberry OS.

And RIM never stated that they were aiming solely for business users with the Blackberry. Cause I'm sure watching Playbook Reviews on YouTube and playing Tetris and Need for Speed is the staple of every business user, right?
    04-20-11 05:40 AM
    Third and fourth sentences:

This, then, is not a product review. It's more like a eulogy, or perhaps an autopsy, for a company circling the drain.
    Good to see how people's ADD kicks in when something is deemed not favorable to a product they like :P
    04-20-11 06:06 AM
    Third and fourth sentences:

Good to see how people's ADD kicks in when something is deemed not favorable to a product they like :P
    Because, of course, that doesn't happen with *any* of the other platforms....

04-20-11 06:18 AM
    I purchased my 64gb PlayBook at Office depot at 8am yesterday and returned it at 2:30 in the afternoon. It scares me that RIM put so much in this.
    04-20-11 06:20 AM
    Because, of course, that doesn't happen with *any* of the other platforms....

No, the XOOM people don't seem to be caring that much about reviews, nor do the iPad people care that their cameras are ****ty.

It seems to be happening for this device disproportionately higher than for most other recent launches...

But I figured that was a bit obvious...

There have been about 20 review threads on Crackberry and all of them are filled with excuses: Pre-Release Software, Coming in 60 Days, Don't need it, I have a BB, Prolly hasn't even held one before, They just have it in for RIM, etc. etc.

I haven't seen this on any other product forum, but if you can provide a link to another forum/product that has had the same "phenomenon" recently, I'll eat my words :P
    04-20-11 07:27 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD