RIM facing mass defection over BlackBerry blunders - SlashGear

RIM may believe its BlackBerry outage compensation is �a pretty comprehensive set of efforts� but it may not be enough to staunch the flow of users ditching the platform, according to new research. A full 30-percent of large scale BlackBerry users plan to jump ship in 2012, Enterprise Management Associates� figures claim, with a mere 14-percent of users themselves happy with their RIM smartphone. In comparison, 44-percent of iPhone users were content with their device.

�We expected to see some market share loss by RIM,� EMA research director Steve Brasen suggests, �but these results were far more dramatic than we could have anticipated.� BlackBerry always had its security and reliability counting in its favor, but last week�s outage � which lasted for up to three days for some users, and saw RIM admit it had no idea what was the cause of the technical fault � has scraped away at that confidence.

As well as throwing free apps at users � with the promise of over $100 worth of previously premium titles now being given away free through the BlackBerry App World over the next four weeks � RIM has also attempted to court frustrated enterprise customers. They�ll be offered a month�s free technical support, usually a subscription-based service, in the hope that the extra attention will encourage them to stay.

Nonetheless, if EMA�s figures are correct, RIM�s market share among enterprise customers with 10,000 or more users will drop next year from the majority platform, at 52-percent, to just 36-percent.
    source article at: Even the BlackBerry faithful are abandoning RIM | Mobile Technology - InfoWorld
    10-20-11 10:23 AM
    Uh oh... add Slashgear to the ever-growing list of "Enemies of RIM."
    10-20-11 10:26 AM
    Uh oh... add Slashgear to the ever-growing list of "Enemies of RIM."
    Why - for reporting EMA's research?
    10-20-11 10:40 AM
    Why - for reporting EMA's research?
    He was being sarcastic. It has been an ongoing trend that any blog or news source that posts a negative article about RIM are considered "RIM haters".

I wouldn't doubt if someone calls the OP a troll as well.
    10-20-11 10:53 AM
    The question is: how much truth is there to all the doom and gloom articles???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

10-20-11 12:26 PM
    I think the articles are usually true, but overly dramatic. Makes a good soap opera-like story.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-20-11 at 02:06 PM.
    10-20-11 12:54 PM

I guess we will find out in 2012. The three day outage is bound to result in lost business for RIM though. It's not like their handsets are compelling to most people.
    10-20-11 12:57 PM
    The end is near. Repent
    10-20-11 01:04 PM
    The news to me in this is that for the same question being asked Apple is only scoring 44%? Shouldn't it be more like 80% or something? I mean we all know the RIM figure should be low at this point.

I mean just some quick math -- if 86% of BB users are not happy and 30% are planning to leave then that means 35% of the "unhappy" group are leaving. So if (according to the article) 56% of Apple users are not completely happy then would you think 20% are moving? No.
    Last edited by southlander; 10-20-11 at 01:15 PM.
    10-20-11 01:11 PM
    People do switch from Apple. Often to Android, but sometimes to BB.
    10-20-11 01:17 PM
    People do switch from Apple. Often to Android, but sometimes to BB.
    Well maybe that is what it represents then. I would still find that high a figure to be surprising.
    10-20-11 01:19 PM

Seen the stock price of rim lately?

10-20-11 04:24 PM
    Of course people are going to be PO'd right after the incident but that will fade over time. What I find interesting is that they performed the survey right after the outage as if they wanted to help feed the negativity regarding RIM.

What would have been more balanced, is to perform the survey six months after the outage in an effort to measure the actual long term effect. Perhaps they will do another one and compare the results and this action (or lack of) would be a good indicator of their level fairness.

In any case, they are correct in that RIM did not need to have that particular type of event.
    10-20-11 06:22 PM
    of the 12% RIM marketshare in the US 25% say they are leaving RIM after the outage and 43.5% of those people actually will

got to love statistic dont you...
    10-20-11 07:09 PM
    of the 12% RIM marketshare in the US 25% say they are leaving RIM after the outage and 43.5% of those people actually will

got to love statistic dont you...

That was sort of my point. Lots of times these studies produce seeming contradictions in logic.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-20-11 07:31 PM
    Of course people are going to be PO'd right after the incident but that will fade over time. What I find interesting is that they performed the survey right after the outage as if they wanted to help feed the negativity regarding RIM.

What would have been more balanced, is to perform the survey six months after the outage in an effort to measure the actual long term effect. Perhaps they will do another one and compare the results and this action (or lack of) would be a good indicator of their level fairness.

In any case, they are correct in that RIM did not need to have that particular type of event.
    We won't need a survey in six months. We will be able to look at the market share reports.
    10-20-11 08:06 PM
    We won't need a survey in six months. We will be able to look at the market share reports.
    I think the forums are a pretty good indicator too. In general.
    10-20-11 08:12 PM
    I agree. I'm finally getting my 9900 tomorrow as my carrier finally released it. That means 100% of smartphone users in my household are upgrading to a new BlackBerry device, which is great tidings for RIM. You saw this on a forum, 100% is a compelling number...
    10-20-11 09:23 PM
    Not really. Of all the many dozens of people in my social, work and other circles I doubt if any of them spend time in mobile phone forums of any type. 70 million bbs out there... how many members does Crackberry have?
    10-20-11 09:58 PM
    so 5 people in my tiny office in little old Idaho have all left bb in last 2 weeks. 4 droid and 2 for apple..and i am serious . it is everywhere in the usa, over seas will be next.

sad..rim waited 2 years ro long
    10-20-11 10:09 PM
    Look at my other posts. They will be right. RIM is only beginning to feel the effects of Apple's onslaught. The real carnage is set to come soon as even the really loyal ones defect. I consider myself one of those once loyal fans.

Loved my BB but RIM isn't keeping up. It is truly sad what is happening to them.
    10-20-11 10:34 PM
    More games with numbers, sounds like the same as before. if this has any reflection on the resent outage its more of a knee **** reaction and people always calm down after time. Things happen.
    10-20-11 11:23 PM
    Maybe we need official confirmation of how good or bad the BB7 phones have been selling since released. They haven't released a single BB7 phone yet here in Mexico. Motorola's newest androids are available, also the Samsung Galaxy SII, and the new iPhone is getting some serious promotion and marketing.... RIM made a statement a couple of weeks back, about the Bold 9900, but we're still waiting. I just don't get RIM's strategy nowdays.
    10-20-11 11:35 PM
    if you listen to RIM speak, they're doing better than ever, it's funny how their stock would drop 60% even though the company is thriving though... talk about numbers not adding up, why would investors bail on a company who is rolling in dough? if they have had their best quarters/years in terms of subscriber growth why has their company went from 80billion net worth to 12billion, in 3 years?
    10-20-11 11:59 PM
    I think the articles are usually true, but overly dramatic. Makes a good soap opera-like story.
    exactly, but they never publish figures of `we asked xxx ammount of people`, also it fails to mention where they researched too, so context is very lacking.

a perfect example is one i saw about a month back, it was an `international` survey, with over 80% being US based, 9% canada based, 5% UK based and only 6% for the rest of the world. pair this up to RIM`s figures that over 50% of its business is outside US/Canada/UK and theres a serious disconnect between the stats value.
    10-21-11 12:26 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD