Get it today

Goto m.slacker.com on your BB and click the download link.

liam
    01-08-09 06:18 AM
    If you're not familiar with Slacker, here is what Kevin had to say when he got to play with it a little at CTIA back in the fall.
    CTIA 2008: Hands On with Slacker for BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

"The Slacker application will provide BlackBerry smartphone users in the U.S. with a robust, high-fidelity personalized music discovery and listening experience pulling from over 100 expertly programmed Slacker stations, over 10,000 artist stations or their own custom-created stations.

Slacker’s unique caching technology will allow listeners to access Personal Radio stations using their BlackBerry smartphones without ever having to manage playlists, research new artists or deal with complicated software again. The Slacker application for BlackBerry smartphones will work with Free Slacker Basic Radio and Slacker Premium Radio.

This sounds promising, I hope when it hits it will be as good as they are making it sound... although, has anyone really heard of Slacker before today? I know I haven't although now since the announcement I have looked at their site and their "Personal Radio" application for PC is quite nice."
    01-08-09 06:28 AM
    Liam: That is a great first post.
    01-08-09 06:53 AM
    Liam: That is a great first post.
    I do my best I'm pretty excited about it too. Its a little slow on my curve streaming (interface wise), however playing a cached station is cash money!
    01-08-09 06:56 AM
    Liam: thanks for the post. I recieved the slacker announcement this morning (email from slacker), downloaded the app checked it out, then, loged into cb to post the news.

For those of you who haven't tried slacker now is the time... Slacker is net radio at its best. Over 100 programmed stations, as well as the ablility to build custom stations anytime. After paying for xm for 2 cars for 4 years, I cancelled it (xm) last month when I purchased a Slacker portable. Now with this app I don't need the portable!

App operated well on my 8320 over wifi, however I'm looking forward to trying the caching for use in the car...
    Last edited by esblechner; 01-08-09 at 07:40 AM.
    01-08-09 07:21 AM
    Got it downloaded. I know many have been asking about this so
    this will be of so much use.
    01-08-09 07:22 AM
    thanks...i will definitely try it out...Thanks God I did not pay for Berrytune..tempting but **** this is free
    Last edited by myselfdotcom; 01-08-09 at 07:36 AM.
    01-08-09 07:33 AM
    For those that have tried it, how does this service compare to pandora? Also, what's the damage to battery life and sound quality when streaming without wifi?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 07:56 AM
    Nice app. Great being able to stream radio on OS 4.5, and multitask. You can only adjust the volume when the app is open on the screen you are using. If you're browsing the web, you would have to bring the app back up in order for your side volume buttons to work. I'm using the switch app shortcut of Alt + Escape Key to quickly make the transition. Quality sounds pretty good. Nice layout. Wish the Sign In procedure could be a faster.

01-08-09 09:15 AM
    downloading it now!!!!
    01-08-09 09:25 AM
    Downloading the app right now. I have high hopes because I have been using Slacker for sometime. I was using Pandora for quite sometime but ended up switching to Slacker because of stability issues with Pandora. Plus from what I remember (been about 6 months since I actively used either app) there was much more control over your music then with Pandora.
    01-08-09 09:27 AM
    i already love this app!
    01-08-09 09:37 AM
    Nice app. Great being able to stream radio on OS 4.5, and multitask. You can only adjust the volume when the app is open on the screen you are using. If you're browsing the web, you would have to bring the app back up in order for your side volume buttons to work. I'm using the switch app shortcut of Alt + Escape Key to quickly make the transition. Quality sounds pretty good. Nice layout. Wish the Sign In procedure could be a faster.

x2. My thoughts exactly. Sound is pretty good. I'm with everyone who's been waiting a while for this app. I was delighted to see the email on my berry this morning. Nicelt done Slacker.

This is a must have app people. I was an xm subscriber for years with four radios but I got sick of their terrible customer service and I couldn't justify the cost for the three channels I listened to on a regular basis. My iPod replaced my Roady2 nicely, but now my Berry may replace my iPod in the car!

I'll be experimenting to gauge battery drain, etc.

01-08-09 10:03 AM
    can someone post a direct link to the OTA download? They don't have a storm version yet so we would need to run it in compatibility mode but when the site recognizes our device as the Storm it just says "Storm version coming soon".

Help us Storm users out!
    01-08-09 10:05 AM
    Try this:
    http://www.slacker.com/dwls/bb/slacker_mobile.jad

01-08-09 10:11 AM
    How does the caching work? Anyone know? Does it go by space on the phone or does it write to the sd card? It says I can do three channels. Is that with the free version or because of available space?

01-08-09 10:13 AM
    Downloading it now, super excited about this app!
    01-08-09 10:21 AM
    How does the caching work? Anyone know? Does it go by space on the phone or does it write to the sd card? It says I can do three channels. Is that with the free version or because of available space?

It seems to go by space on the SD card available - I have a 1 gig card that was mostly full and could only cache one station, but after clearing it out a bit, I can cache five stations now.
    01-08-09 10:22 AM
    This app is awesome! I love it. Playing a cached station is amazing.
    01-08-09 10:23 AM
    Try this:
    http://www.slacker.com/dwls/bb/slacker_mobile.jad

YES! Works on the Storm... Disable compatibilty mode and it looks and works great. Haven't tried everything out yet but it signs in and loads my stations and plays audio. looks much better than Flycast.

Thanks Ponderous!
    01-08-09 10:28 AM
    I've been waiting for this since it was announced in Sept. 08 for my 8130 - unfortunately much to my disappointment after installing, creating an account, and opening one of the pre-set stations, I got the following error:

"An error has occurred. Please try your request later."!!

The fix is to set all the apps permissions to 'Allow' under Advanced Options>Apps.. (Or just set them during the install.)

Works great now - by far the best streaming radio player for BBs i've come across (looks great and it works very well).
    01-08-09 10:35 AM
    What does caching allow you to do? What are the advantages?

01-08-09 10:35 AM
    This app is simply amazing. Just as long as you've got free space on your SD card, I don't see why you wouldn't want to download this thing. Speechless. More free apps like this will def make my Bold happier.
    01-08-09 10:37 AM
    I've downloaded it...I hope it's good to me...
    What does caching allow you to do? What are the advantages?

According to the help page, "Cached Slacker stations can be played anytime, anywhere and will improve the battery life and performance on your BlackBerry smartphone."
130 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD