I really don't care for skype and looking at all the bad reviews and comments from WP users do we really want it on BB10 when we have BBM?. Of course the crybabies will scream that we need another useless app even if it has all kinds of problems and issues. It's a must have even though it's useless. lol
    I have suppliers and buyers all over the world who use it. They want to speak to me at times I am not in my office. Smartphones make us all available at any time no? They own all different types of phones. I am curious how BBM helps me to communicate with them? BB is for people who do? Well then Skype needs to be on there.
    12-20-12 07:28 PM
    I have suppliers and buyers all over the world who use it. They want to speak to me at times I am not in my office. Smartphones make us all available at any time no? They own all different types of phones. I am curious how BBM helps me to communicate with them? BB is for people who do? Well then Skype needs to be on there.
    Just dial their number.............
    12-20-12 09:32 PM
    Just dial their number.............
    At the cost of a long distance call when a Skype voice call cost me nothing? Please continue....
    12-20-12 09:54 PM
    At the cost of a long distance call when a Skype voice call cost me nothing? Please continue....
    Gotcha....... continuing on........
    12-20-12 10:07 PM
    I imagine its the Skype server being overloaded or related to that.
    There is no Skype server per se, the servers only store your information and route calls. Skype is similar to Tor in how it manages connections, not exactly peer-to-peer but similar. It's possible to hit bottlenecks occasionally when available peers are slow. Once the transition to MS is complete, it's expected that the system is going to change to the more familiar connect to a server model, which should prevent peer bottlenecks. One of the reasons Skype was popular was its anonymity. It was virtually impossible to trace a Skype to Skype call.
    12-21-12 04:57 AM
    Interesting.
    My connection is faster and clear, across the pond it's slower and I show up checkerboaded. Happens to the UK and the continent.
    Stateside.....no problems.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    It's just the way Skype works for now. There are bottlenecks if available peers do not have fast connections. The situation should change as MS moves Skype over to a server based direct connection model. With that however, you will lose the ability to be anonymous. That's not a big consideration for most, but for a subset of users for various reasons, it could be a dealbreaker.
    12-21-12 06:28 AM
    there is always oovoo
    nextlevel88 likes this.
    12-21-12 04:04 PM
    Hilarious topic...Skype on WP8, Android and iOS may not be GREAT...but it's very functional. I use it to make video and audio calls across the atlantic with my wife...and she can see and hear me from her computer, iPad and even the living room TV. In short, it does what it's supposed to do.

On BB AppWorld, BBM has only a 3 star out of 5 rating. Are we now to open a topic on Crackberry to claim that BBM is 'not great' and must be excised from BB10?

I don't know about the Poster and his seeming love for a lack of options, but i NEED Skype on my BB10 when I buy it next year. End of story.

I think these 'do we need this app' topics are rather inane, to be honest. App marketplaces serve MILLIONS of customers...one man's meat is another man's poison.
    12-22-12 03:53 AM
    Hilarious topic...Skype on WP8, Android and iOS may not be GREAT...but it's very functional. I use it to make video and audio calls across the atlantic with my wife...and she can see and hear me from her computer, iPad and even the living room TV. In short, it does what it's supposed to do.

On BB AppWorld, BBM has only a 3 star out of 5 rating. Are we now to open a topic on Crackberry to claim that BBM is 'not great' and must be excised from BB10?

I don't know about the Poster and his seeming love for a lack of options, but i NEED Skype on my BB10 when I buy it next year. End of story.

I think these 'do we need this app' topics are rather inane, to be honest. App marketplaces serve MILLIONS of customers...one man's meat is another man's poison.
    I am glad you find this topic hilarious. But its not really funny. Reading the comments from wp8 users I just noticed a bit of complaining. Obviously I would like skype on bb10 but rim cant get it I will not be disappointed. If they do get skype it better work well. Because all you folks asking for skpe are the same ones that will criticize rim if the app has issues on the platform. That's all I am saying
    12-22-12 12:53 PM
    I am glad you find this topic hilarious. But its not really funny. Reading the comments from wp8 users I just noticed a bit of complaining. Obviously I would like skype on bb10 but rim cant get it I will not be disappointed. If they do get skype it better work well. Because all you folks asking for skpe are the same ones that will criticize rim if the app has issues on the platform. That's all I am saying
    The issues those guys are complaining about are not MAJOR issues (in most cases) and certainly are not crippling issues. Every single person there is able to make audio and video chats...as well as standard IM. If Skype does not get on BB10, I will be bitterly dissapointed. Even if the Skype client works on BB10 the same way as it does on WP8, I will be able to use it to communicate effectively with my family.

Now, there are two things I'd like to point out to you so you stop all this FUD right now.

1. Skype on WP8 is listed as a 'beta'. Bugs often exist in beta versions of apps.

2. In response to this
    If they do get skype it better work well. Because all you folks asking for skpe are the same ones that will criticize rim if the app has issues on the platform.
    Skype on BB10 will be a 3rd party app. In which universe does the OS maker get criticized for poor performance of a 3rd party app? When apps crash on iOS, nobody blames Apple...they give the devs low rating. Ditto for Android and even BBOS7. Enough with the FUD...nobody's gonna blame RIM.

For ages, the BB Facebook app couldn't muster more than 2.5 - 3 star rating on BB Appworld...and it clearly lagged behind the counterparts on iOS and Android. The reviews on AppWorld were even more vitriolic than what you're linking to. By your logic, 'are we really ready for a Facebook app on BB10'?
    12-22-12 05:21 PM
    using skype on my HTC 8X and it's awesome. ALSO Skype on WP8 is still a beta version.
    12-22-12 10:35 PM
    exactly. some rigid minded folks truly believe that every bb user is either a clone of themselves or a troll.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-23-12 01:08 AM
    It doesn't cost you nothing, it uses data that you pay for. Unless you have unlimited data and you are in a fast network speed Skype is useless.

I much prefer apps like Vopium that let you make very cheap international calls to actual numbers and it works even if you're on GPRS .
    12-23-12 03:57 AM
    and most people nowadays have 3/4g data packages that come with their plan.

12-23-12 04:45 AM
    and most people nowadays have 3/4g data packages that come with their plan.

Yes they do but how much data do they get and how good is the network coverage. For anybody that is always on the move Skype and BBMV are not really an option.

I was talking to my family using Vopium from my car, at 70mph with the signal going from 3G to gprs, not a glitch.

Realistically Skype is mostly used from home or office and you might as well use a laptop for that.
    12-23-12 05:59 AM
    Yes they do but how much data do they get and how good is the network coverage. For anybody that is always on the move Skype and BBMV are not really an option.

I was talking to my family using Vopium from my car, at 70mph with the signal going from 3G to gprs, not a glitch.

Realistically Skype is mostly used from home or office and you might as well use a laptop for that.
    I think a lot depends on where you are. I use Skype almost daily, sometimes for hours at a time. I'm almost alway in places with very good reception. Cell service in Asian cities is almost always better than the US, and works in places like subways. I have very rarely had issues with Skype. In the US, I live right outside of NYC, so again, cell service tends to be excellent.

I also frequently use Skype while riding in taxis. In Korea, it never drops. In places like Shanghai, Shenzhen, Hong Kong, and Beijing, it's also very stable. I was recently in a city called Hefei, there the signal would occasionally drop to 2G, and video calls would drop, but audio only calls were usually fine. Skype is VERY popular in China, so there are usually enough peers to maintain a regular connection.
    12-23-12 06:16 AM
    I think a lot depends on where you are. I use Skype almost daily, sometimes for hours at a time. I'm almost alway in places with very good reception. Cell service in Asian cities is almost always better than the US, and works in places like subways. I have very rarely had issues with Skype. In the US, I live right outside of NYC, so again, cell service tends to be excellent.

I also frequently use Skype while riding in taxis. In Korea, it never drops. In places like Shanghai, Shenzhen, Hong Kong, and Beijing, it's also very stable. I was recently in a city called Hefei, there the signal would occasionally drop to 2G, and video calls would drop, but audio only calls were usually fine. Skype is VERY popular in China, so there are usually enough peers to maintain a regular connection.
    Skype voip works trough 2G? I find that hard to believe, I had trouble making it work prpperly on wifi. Besides, you're only talking urban or very near urban locations, maybe you don't get out in the country much. Where I live 3G coverage is pretty poor.
    12-23-12 07:42 AM
    Skype voip works trough 2G? I find that hard to believe, I had trouble making it work prpperly on wifi. Besides, you're only talking urban or very near urban locations, maybe you don't get out in the country much. Where I live 3G coverage is pretty poor.
    Skype voice only needs about 30kbps, and HD voice only requires about 100kbps. No, I don't go out to rural areas much, my job doesn't require me to, although some cities I visit don't quite have full 3G coverage yet. I recall last year, Changchun and Shijiazhuang had poor 3G, but the situation might have changed. In China you come back a year later and a flat plot of land in the middle of nowhere has changed to a high rise apartment complex and a shopping mall with a hotel a block away.
    12-23-12 07:53 AM
    Skype voice only needs about 30kbps, and HD voice only requires about 100kbps. No, I don't go out to rural areas much, my job doesn't require me to, although some cities I visit don't quite have full 3G coverage yet. I recall last year, Changchun and Shijiazhuang had poor 3G, but the situation might have changed. In China you come back a year later and a flat plot of land in the middle of nowhere has changed to a high rise apartment complex and a shopping mall with a hotel a block away.
    If Skype Voice only needs so little why does it sound like crap on my 1.6mbps wifi? Maybe theoretically it needs little but in practice it's barely usable from my home wifi.

It's the reason I gave up on it and started using Vopium.
    12-23-12 08:28 AM
    It doesn't cost you nothing, it uses data that you pay for. Unless you have unlimited data and you are in a fast network speed Skype is useless.

I much prefer apps like Vopium that let you make very cheap international calls to actual numbers and it works even if you're on GPRS .
    I would like to give this Vopium thing a whirl but it seems like it is being used in the UK only and I only have about a dozen contacts there, and chances are none of them would have it And even if Vopium performs wonderfully, there is still a daunting step two: convincing my contacts to install it and register for it. It is not worth the trouble when there are so many popular alternatives that are available.

Look, I've seen you make similar arguments with regards to Instagram and Netflix - but if you read this article about network effects, you might get a sense of how futile those arguments are.

Vopium might have their own network effect going in the UK, but in the global picture, it is an ant compare to Skype.
    12-23-12 08:45 AM
    If Skype Voice only needs so little why does it sound like crap on my 1.6mbps wifi? Maybe theoretically it needs little but in practice it's barely usable from my home wifi.

It's the reason I gave up on it and started using Vopium.
    Because Skype is a form of peer-to-peer. Sometimes, if available peers are overloaded or have only limited bandwidth, it will affect you. In places where lots of people use Skype, the likelihood of finding a fast peer is greater. That's why I never have problems with Skype in China, it's really popular.

Addendum: The reason Skype is really popular in China is because it's virtually impossible to trace Skype to Skype calls because of how its peer-to-peer network is built. Apparently it caught on early amongst people who didn't like the idea of government listening in on their conversations. That and it's free. Phone calls used to be expensive.
    12-23-12 09:00 AM
    Because Skype is a form of peer-to-peer. Sometimes, if available peers are overloaded or have only limited bandwidth, it will affect you. In places where lots of people use Skype, the likelihood of finding a fast peer is greater. That's why I never have problems with Skype in China, it's really popular.

Addendum: The reason Skype is really popular in China is because it's virtually impossible to trace Skype to Skype calls because of how its peer-to-peer network is built. Apparently it caught on early amongst people who didn't like the idea of government listening in on their conversations. That and it's free. Phone calls used to be expensive.
    Don't they know that all stopped since Microsoft bought them?

http://www.zdnet.com/big-brother-microsoft-listens-in-to-your-skype-ims-7000001495/
    12-23-12 09:12 AM
    What do you mean? Long distance cost nothing more than paid for minutes. If you're talking international I thought skype charged for that? Being cheaper than using a landline or your cell international rates.
    12-23-12 09:15 AM
    Don't they know that all stopped since Microsoft bought them?

Big brother Microsoft listens in to your Skype IMs | ZDNet
    Now the reason it's popular is different. The early adopters used it for anonymity. Now businesses use it like crazy, because it's free to call overseas. Chinese companies do a lot of business overseas, and SME use of Skype is ubiquitous.

Addendum: I guess MS has already begun the switch over. It was expected that Skype anonymity would be one of the first things to go once the takeover was complete. Too bad.
    12-23-12 09:17 AM
    What do you mean? Long distance cost nothing more than paid for minutes. If you're talking international I thought skype charged for that? Being cheaper than using a landline or your cell international rates.
    Skype to Skype calls are free, even international calls.
    12-23-12 09:19 AM
59 123