So i was browsing mobile nations and noticed a post on skype on wp central. I check it out and to my surprise i found a ton of the comments were negative about the app. I was wondering if the service is soo bad on a windows phone and microsoft owns skype...this is not exactly good news for it being on BB10. It just seems it has so many issues. Skype is basically over hyped at this point. It needs competition and i'll gladly support alternatives that work better. Check out the link below and read some of the comments.

Skype gets snappy with latest update on Windows 8 | Windows Phone Central
    KarlosSpicyWienr likes this.
    12-20-12 09:07 AM
    What are the primary concerns with it? I had heard Skype was pretty good from my WP8 owning friends.
    12-20-12 09:15 AM
    I really don't care for skype and looking at all the bad reviews and comments from WP users do we really want it on BB10 when we have BBM?. Of course the crybabies will scream that we need another useless app even if it has all kinds of problems and issues. It's a must have even though it's useless. lol
    12-20-12 09:18 AM
    i need it, i really need it
    hope it'll be on BB10, need whatsapp too - hope they change their mind once BB10 is released
    12-20-12 09:22 AM
    I see some complaining that it doesn't work well in Snap view. This is when you are video chatting in one panel of your screen while doing something else in the main panel. I wish I had this capability. This would be very useful in meetings when I could be say, looking at the agenda/notes at the same time. Talk about a first world problem.
    DJM626 and RubberChicken76 like this.
    12-20-12 09:28 AM
    What are the primary concerns with it? I had heard Skype was pretty good from my WP8 owning friends.
    Well...just to clarify i've not used skpe on a wp phone before. I am just reading the comments. Not very positive. The post is about a fix to a problem and clearly folks are voicing their problems with others stuff not even related to the post. Not good. Below are a few issues i picked up from reading the comments.

- Cant set the messenger availability to offline as i dont want to receive messages from my live messenger all the time
    - Lack of Skype/wp8 integration
    - Windows 8 app does not have a portrait orientation
    - poor implementation of Skype on Windows Phone 8.
    - Drains the device battery
    - Phone does not stop ringing when call is answered on a PC

If its having simple issues on a WP phone i know it will definitely have issues on BB10 especially with BB10 being a new OS. .
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    12-20-12 09:48 AM
    This has to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm mean really, to put this in perspective you are judging the stability and robustness of an app based off of other users input from a forum of another platform altogether. You can't dismiss Skype as "not great" when you personally haven't even tried it for yourself in that position.

To be honest, I find Skype to be quite wonderful on android. I use it at least on a weekly basis, and couldn't be happier with the experience it provides. I'll go as far to say it certainly is an essential component to any mobile device I would ever consider going forward. This is largely of course due to the fact of how standardized Skype has really become. It's that d@mn simple. Skype isn't just another app. It has become standardized and is essentially a feature that can't be overlooked. Whether you find that unfortunate or not is your own discord though, and Skype being on bb10 should be no one persons opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    12-20-12 09:50 AM
    Skype seems to work fine on Android. I hope to have it on BB10.
    12-20-12 09:57 AM

If its having simple issues on a WP phone i know it will definitely have issues on BB10 especially with BB10 being a new OS. .
    That's no necessarily true. Bb10 is said to be easy to develop for, and Skype definitely works awesome on other platforms like Android for instance. I haven't tried it on wp8, but I can definitely tell you it works very awesome on android and ios in my experience and does not show any faults such as the ones you stated in your post.

12-20-12 09:58 AM
    seems that its a WP8 issue and not Skype itself.
    12-20-12 10:00 AM
    I finally used Skype on my SGIII. I had no problems with it with a family member across the pond.

To those who say it's useless....care to elaborate on your assertion?

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    12-20-12 10:09 AM
    I've used skype on a pc in the past. Its works fine. Drops off occassionally. I would love for their to be a 2nd or 3rd major player in this field. Just like we want different options for a phone.

This has to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm mean really, to put this in perspective you are judging the stability and robustness of an app based off of other users input from a forum of another platform altogether. You can't dismiss Skype as "not great" when you personally haven't even tried it for yourself in that position.

To be honest, I find Skype to be quite wonderful on android. I use it at least on a weekly basis, and couldn't be happier with the experience it provides. I'll go as far to say it certainly is an essential component to any mobile device I would ever consider going forward. This is largely of course due to the fact of how standardized Skype has really become. It's that d@mn simple. Skype isn't just another app. It has become standardized and is essentially a feature that can't be overlooked. Whether you find that unfortunate or not is your own discord though, and Skype being on bb10 should be no one persons opinion.

12-20-12 10:12 AM
    I noticed that as well. I really have a feeling we will have skype on bb10. I hope it obviously works better on BB10.
    seems that its a WP8 issue and not Skype itself.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    12-20-12 10:14 AM
    I've always had issues with skype on PC - choppy connections (audio and visual); it's neat for a quick chat with friends who've moved across the country, but I can take it or leave it.
    12-20-12 11:49 AM
    never been a fan, and no desire to use it, BB10 will be great with or without.
    12-20-12 11:57 AM
    I've always had issues with skype on PC - choppy connections (audio and visual); it's neat for a quick chat with friends who've moved across the country, but I can take it or leave it.
    I rely on it to stay in touch with loved ones across the pond.

12-20-12 12:01 PM
    For me Skype is legendary for having the frozen expression. Always good for a laugh, its been so bad that whole conversations have revolved around how crappy it is while one person has a frozen image. Never experienced that with BB video chat.
    12-20-12 12:11 PM
    For me Skype is legendary for having the frozen expression. Always good for a laugh, its been so bad that whole conversations have revolved around how crappy it is while one person has a frozen image. Never experienced that with BB video chat.
    I have that happen. Generally a broadband issue, not an app issue.
    When loved ones are 4K to 5K away and one can't afford weekend transAtlantic plane tickets, it does the job admirably well. I'll take a choppy video over chat and no video, not even a question. Particularly so when there are so few people left on BBM or for those who haven't bought a PB.
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    12-20-12 12:27 PM
    yeah I totally agree qbnkelt! The frozen expressions actually provide a bit of humour like I mentioned. I used to think it was a broadband issue but the PB video chat proved that wrong. I imagine its the Skype server being overloaded or related to that. Right now having Skype on a phone is great because it allows someone to chat without having to be at a desk home/office. Its been used here during outdoor birthday parties as an example, its actually underrated imo but the quality just isn't there. Its also free!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-20-12 12:42 PM
    Same with Facetime, video seems more reliable. But what's the point if the person you're talking to doesn't have it?

I have that happen. Generally a broadband issue, not an app issue.
    When loved ones are 4K to 5K away and one can't afford weekend transAtlantic plane tickets, it does the job admirably well. I'll take a choppy video over chat and no video, not even a question. Particularly so when there are so few people left on BBM or for those who haven't bought a PB.
    Give Hangouts a try if you're so inclined. It's great for multi-way video (or audio only) chats with friends and family - a nice way to get together. People can jump in and out of the hangout as they please. When I was in a four-way chat across four continents, it felt like the future. The other parties don't have to have mobile devices either because it runs on desktop OSes.
    12-20-12 12:45 PM
    I finally used Skype on my SGIII. I had no problems with it with a family member across the pond.

To those who say it's useless....care to elaborate on your assertion?

Looks like wp8 needs to get it together. Slightly jealous you can skpe and I can't on my 9900 . Looking forward to Jan 30th !!!
    12-20-12 01:05 PM
    If it comes on BB10 I hope its not included in the bloatware. In fact I would prefer BB10 came with nothing on it except mail. I want to be able to download what i want. It bugs me everytime i look in my files and find apps that I didnt load and cant get rid of. Especially on PB. I wish they would give you a bare phone and allow you to DL what you want. Skype would not be one of them or Facebook.
    12-20-12 01:08 PM
    yeah I totally agree qbnkelt! The frozen expressions actually provide a bit of humour like I mentioned. I used to think it was a broadband issue but the PB video chat proved that wrong. I imagine its the Skype server being overloaded or related to that. Right now having Skype on a phone is great because it allows someone to chat without having to be at a desk home/office. Its been used here during outdoor birthday parties as an example, its actually underrated imo but the quality just isn't there. Its also free!
    Interesting.
    My connection is faster and clear, across the pond it's slower and I show up checkerboaded. Happens to the UK and the continent.
    Stateside.....no problems.

12-20-12 01:22 PM
    Reminded me of this...
    12-20-12 01:59 PM
    Same with Facetime, video seems more reliable. But what's the point if the person you're talking to doesn't have it?

Give Hangouts a try if you're so inclined. It's great for multi-way video (or audio only) chats with friends and family - a nice way to get together. People can jump in and out of the hangout as they please. When I was in a four-way chat across four continents, it felt like the future. The other parties don't have to have mobile devices either because it runs on desktop OSes.
    Will have to try that out. Thanks
    12-20-12 07:18 PM
59 123