I dont think a unique thread has been made about this yet. Just so everyone knows skype is now a blank field in the contacts app with the latest developer documentation. This all but confirms we will be getting skype on bb10.
    Qaxl likes this.
    11-30-12 03:51 AM
    how does it confirm it? maybe its a field just you know someones skype name incase you ever need to know.... just like the address field... but you cant send letter to someones house address through a blackberry...

not a smart comment, im just saying lets not be overly optimistic then people get dissapointed lol
    11-30-12 04:25 AM
    how does it confirm it? maybe its a field just you know someones skype name incase you ever need to know.... just like the address field... but you cant send letter to someones house address through a blackberry...

not a smart comment, im just saying lets not be overly optimistic then people get dissapointed lol
    Skype has been on mobile for a few years now (i.e before recent 7.1 and 7 OS builds). If it was just a field so you knew someones skype account to message them on a desktop RIM would have done this a long time ago. They have had the chance. All of the electronic contact and networking information currently in a blackberry contact can be accessed on the blackberry itself. Phone number, email, PIN, website, etc. I really dont forsee them adding a field called "skype" if you cant use skype on the phone. There has always been "custom" fields and a "notes" field for other things you want to write in.

The part that i am now thinking about is how intertwined it could possibly be with bbm based on the fact that there is a field in the native address book.
    11-30-12 04:58 AM
    I'm going into the 'let's wait and see when it happens camp'.
    11-30-12 05:12 AM
    Skype has been on mobile for a few years now (i.e before recent 7.1 and 7 OS builds). If it was just a field so you knew someones skype account to message them on a desktop RIM would have done this a long time ago. They have had the chance. All of the electronic contact and networking information currently in a blackberry contact can be accessed on the blackberry itself. Phone number, email, PIN, website, etc. I really dont forsee them adding a field called "skype" if you cant use skype on the phone. There has always been "custom" fields and a "notes" field for other things you want to write in.

The part that i am now thinking about is how intertwined it could possibly be with bbm based on the fact that there is a field in the native address book.
    touche.. thats a very good point!! i really hope this is some more solid evidence...

if this is the case, i have also wondered about your second point....

RIM have done alot with messaging in the hub.. you can tweet and update your fb from the hub.. as well as reply to fb mssges and twitter messages etc... the integration is so tight.. people will be using the hub so much they wont realise they are not using fb as much (and other applications the hub is associated with, twitter, linked in, emails sms etc).,..

so with that mind, i have always thought that if skype is coming... RIM have integrated it also into the phone, so that you dont actually have to eneter the skype application... simply press call on a contact... like on the skype field you have pointed out is there... and a skype call will be made to that contact...

think playbook video chat integrated with different call capabilities... BBM video chat and skype integration (possibly even other video messaging clients) all in one place.....

For me, RIM have already smashed it with the UI and the hub alone... some sort of video call integration would be crazy (in a good way).... the level of awesomness in bb10 i have seen is so high right now that it seems impossible they would pull out video integration... if they did, i dont see a reason for every person on earth to drop the phone they have in their hands right now and buy a bb10.... i wouldnt be surprised at all....
    11-30-12 05:23 AM
    11-30-12 05:59 AM