It seems like Skype will be integrated with the OS as the greyed out 'read' icon is in that screenshot along with the same respective icons for Twitter and Facebook. So that means the text based Skype chat, but why would they integrate it without the whole package?

Remember, this isn't a slide or image made by RIM's Marketing Department like the Skype-Playbook fiasco, these are actual icons on the device.
    01-15-13 11:44 AM
    Well we saw the skype field in the contacts book a while ago. in the blank field it had grayed out word saying "messaging". Possibility still that they could somehow limit it to just messaging (not video on bb10). Who knows. Could be another playbook skype icon fiasco
    01-15-13 12:00 PM
    It will come down to Microsoft either taking the high ground and not being like Google, (Google is bashing Microsoft these days). Or doing the right thing and supporting other devices.
    01-15-13 12:06 PM
    jup - exactly and I'll try my best to convince them but as chrysaurora has written above regarding the 'Sykpe problem' - (for example) my fianc� is never going to give up her iPhone 4S because of that lack of communication her sister just got an iPhone 3GS (so they STILL can't use 'Apples Skype aka FaceTime' ) but rely instead on Skype.
    01-15-13 12:12 PM
    jup - exactly and I'll try my best to convince them but as chrysaurora has written above regarding the 'Sykpe problem' - (for example) my fianc� is never going to give up her iPhone 4S because of that lack of communication her sister just got an iPhone 3GS (so they STILL can't use 'Apples Skype aka FaceTime' ) but rely instead on Skype.
    Actually, oVoo might be usable in that case. ooVoo Free video chat and instant Messaging - cross platform video-chat.

Where Skype really shines is Skype-to-phone or Phone-to-Skype. With Skype, you can call a real phone number and also receive calls from phone numbers.

But, as far as device-to-device voice/video chat is concerned, you'll (probably) have cross-platform options/substitutes like oVoo.
    Tilman Mueller likes this.
    01-15-13 12:19 PM
    Actually, oVoo might be usable in that case. ooVoo Free video chat and instant Messaging - cross platform video-chat.

Where Skype really shines is Skype-to-phone or Phone-to-Skype. With Skype, you can call a real phone number and also receive calls from phone numbers.

But, as far as device-to-device voice/video chat is concerned, you'll (probably) have cross-platform options/substitutes like oVoo.
    Looks defiantly interesting, but it's again not available on BB OS as far as I've seen.

It's just sad that Apple actually blocks a feature (FaceTime) on 'older devices' but other Apps are functional (Skype). But I'm not sure if that sort of problem is only related to Cupertino
    01-15-13 12:45 PM
    Looks defiantly interesting, but it's again not available on BB OS as far as I've seen.

It's just sad that Apple actually blocks a feature (FaceTime) on 'older devices' but other Apps are functional (Skype). But I'm not sure if that sort of problem is only related to Cupertino
    ooVoo just confirmed at CES that they'll be supporting BB10.
    01-15-13 12:47 PM
    You are right. I am saying, that the Skype client on BB 10 is going to be a replacement for Windows Messenger client. It'd not be full featured. It'll only allow text chat. Just like Google Talk (works in text-chat only mode on BlackBerry)

Agree with you that WhatsApp a big deal for many. But if WhatsApp doesn't make it to BlackBerry 10, BlackBerry users are going to start using a substitute (like oVoo, LiveProfile) and then they will ask all their friends to download oVoo or Live-profile etc So, sure, lack of WhatsApp is bad but it is not so bad because we will have some other "free" substitute.

Downloading a free app is no big deal. If I tell my non-BB friends to download some messenger, they will do it as long as it is free. In fact, I got a lot of my friends to download WhatsApp in the first place.
    I'm sorry, but no. Many people already have multiple messenger clients and do not want to install another one just to accomodate one friend. It's annoying to have to have multiple clients all of which use memory and data as well as battery life in order to constantly run in the background, all waiting for that one friend who may use it. Whatsapp being available will be a big deal for me, although if it's sideloadable not so much. If it's not available and I still decide to jump on BB10, then I would just use SMS until WA became available, which would hopefully be sooner than later.
    01-15-13 12:53 PM
    The Skype icons appear together with a group of icons that appear on the BB10 Contacts App, so my guess is that this icon will just appear in a field on the contact manager, so that you can enter a Contact's skype ID.
    And, indeed. These icons are from the BB10 OS and not for a standalone app. Standalone apps would have their icons embedded within the application bar itself. This is not speculation that Skype video chat will be on BB10 but rather speculation that Skype messaging might be on BB10
    01-15-13 01:30 PM
    The Skype icons appear together with a group of icons that appear on the BB10 Contacts App, so my guess is that this icon will just appear in a field on the contact manager, so that you can enter a Contact's skype ID.
    Yeah, they made a gray and a green icon... why? think more damn it!... dont come up with the first thought! elaborate your ideas!... analyze them...
    01-15-13 02:23 PM
    ooVoo just confirmed at CES that they'll be supporting BB10.
    Cool. I was saying I wanted Skype on BB10, but what I really meant was a way to do video calls to android phones.
    People who want Skype could be wanting VOIP to VOIP calls, or VOIP to PBX, or Video to Video.
    01-15-13 02:42 PM
    One word : PlayBook.
    I've already seen the Skype icon once.
    01-15-13 03:02 PM
    The better option (and i don't know the logistics of this i'm just saying in an ideal world) would be for rim to intergate the api's for these other services into it's own apps.. ie, bbm could chat/voice call/video call/ with bbm to bbm, but you could also add contacts that are using what's app, live profile skype etc from within the client.

AGAIN.. i'm not saying that's what happening, or if it's even possible.. but it would be cool.
    01-15-13 04:02 PM
    One word : PlayBook.
    I've already seen the Skype icon once.
    Keep in mind that the Skype Icon in playbook, was never more than a mock up an not included in the os like this leak. This does not mean voice Skype, but I think there will be some type of voice integration with the os and HUB
    01-15-13 04:24 PM
    BREAKING NEWS:

I just got an email from Microsoft, subject: Important Info about your Messenger account.
    Below that, it says "It's time to update Messenger to Skype!"

We are retiring the existing Messenger service globally (except for mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available) and bringing the great features of Messenger and Skype together.
    Blah blah blah.....

So in other words, the icons may likely be for 'Messenger' as we know it today.
    01-15-13 04:37 PM
    Most likely is just Skype messenger (Windows Live messenger replacement), not the full-featured Skype app people are expecting.
    01-15-13 05:21 PM
    Well isn't some Skype better than no Skype?!! At the least, it's a step in the right direction.
    Acumenight likes this.
    01-18-13 12:50 AM
    Well isn't some Skype better than no Skype?!! At the least, it's a step in the right direction.
    Actually, it'd be might be kind of frustrating to some to have Skype with no voice. Will make one consider going to another platform (iOS, Android). Just like, we were suggesting RIM should make BBM available on all platforms but with limited feature-set. Full feature-set on BlackBerry devices only.
    01-18-13 08:59 AM
43 12