If these are in fact on the device do you guys think that means Skype is a go for BlackBerry10? Can anyone confirm these icons are in fact on the device?

Skype Icons Found in BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha Latest OS - N4BB

I hope so!
    EuroPolska
    01-15-13 09:34 AM
    Now STFU people.
    robluck82 likes this.
    01-15-13 09:38 AM
    Personally I don't care one way or another because I don't use the service, but for all my crackberry addicts who do, WOOOHOO!
    europolska00 likes this.
    01-15-13 10:03 AM
    I sincerely hope Skype shows up if, for any other reason, so people won't be severely disappointed after expecting it to be there. Remember when the Skype icons showed up in the PlayBooks App World before launch? RIM needs to manage expectations.
    Last edited by md03wx; 01-15-13 at 10:54 AM.
    bobauckland likes this.
    01-15-13 10:03 AM
    Thank God!
    01-15-13 10:10 AM
    It only makes sense with the merging of Windows Live Messenger and Skype. Just happy to see that it may actually be confirmed.

But make no mistake, this is very good news! I'm personally not much of a Skype user, but for all of you that are, I'm happy for you! Just one more thing not holding anyone back when switching from iOS, Android, or WP to BB10!
    europolska00 likes this.
    01-15-13 10:19 AM
    Oh Boy here we go again. Maybe they are there so you can build a 3rd party app that links to Skype? Instead of endless speculation and teeth nashing and rendering of garments lets wait untill 1-30-2013.
    Knightcrawler and BB12MX like this.
    01-15-13 10:20 AM
    That's good. If leaks are legit ...
    01-15-13 10:22 AM
    It has been said many times. Skype & WhatsApp are real deal breakers for a lot of people. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    01-15-13 10:30 AM
    Personally, I couldn't really care less about Skype.

BUT, I know it's important enough to enough people that it will have some impact on the marketability of the phone. IOW, yes, I know people for whom the lack of Skype is a deal-breaker.

I believe this leak but I don't know if it's any more significant than the Skype icon shown in App World demos before the Playbook launch.
    Creaulx and spike12 like this.
    01-15-13 10:38 AM
    Skype is the new Windows Messenger. It does NOT mean that Skype with voice (skype to skype voice calling or skype-to-phone, phone-to-skype) is coming. It's just the new (text based) Windows messenger (now renamed to Skype Messenger or something).

It's just going to be a field in contact list. Like you've fields for Yahoo, BBM, Email, Google talk etc.

It has been said many times. Skype & WhatsApp are real deal breakers for a lot of people. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    For Skype, there may or may not be a substitute. But for WhatsApp, I am sure there are going to be substitutes (eg: oVoo or RIM's own LiveProfile). So, in case there is no WhatsApp, the oVoo or LifeProfile will become the NEW WhatsApp!
    01-15-13 10:39 AM
    Skype is the new Windows Messenger. It does NOT mean that Skype with voice (skype to skype voice calling or skype-to-phone, phone-to-skype) is coming. It's just the new (text based) Windows messenger (now renamed to Skype Messenger or something).

It's just going to be a field in contact list. Like you've fields for Yahoo, BBM, Email, Google talk etc.

For Skype, there may or may not be a substitute. But for WhatsApp, I am sure there are going to be substitutes (eg: oVoo or RIM's own LiveProfile). So, in case there is no WhatsApp, the oVoo or LifeProfile will become the NEW WhatsApp!
    Um, no.

Microsoft is migrating Messenger users to Skype. Period. Not some interim Skype-like Messenger client, but Skype itself.
    01-15-13 10:45 AM
    That may be true - but does it help, if the big part of my friends won't jump ship and will continue to use WA on any other platform? I don't think so, sorry. Just keep in mind that those problems could also be region related, so I can only speak for my 'environment' and my surroundings. As far as I read and know through CB, WA isn't such a big deal in the US.
    lorax1284 and BB12MX like this.
    01-15-13 10:50 AM
    does it help, if the big part of my friends won't jump ship and will continue to use WA on any other platform?
    That's it right there. Social / communications apps aren't so easy to substitute, unless RIM makes the error of putting out BBM clients for iOS and Android, and then we STILL have to convince our non-BB buddies to join up.

For all of you for whom Skype is a non-issue, variety is the spice of life... for me Skype not being available will be a HUGE disappointment, and having it will satisfy my wants, and when I get my hands on my BB10 device, I anticipate my wants AND needs will be exceeded.

Of course, now I'll be actually ANGRY if Skype isn't there at launch... not sure who or what I will specifically be angry at, but, oh yeah. Anger.

And I sure hope the UI doesn't suck like it does on Android. Is there some rule at Skype where the designers of the iOS version of Skype are FORBIDDEN to consult with the Android developers and make a consistent UI for both platforms? I just hope that TAT had some input on the UI for Skype on BB10 if it does show up.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 01-15-13 at 11:09 AM.
    01-15-13 10:52 AM
    Personally, I couldn't really care less about Skype.

BUT, I know it's important enough to enough people that it will have some impact on the marketability of the phone. IOW, yes, I know people for whom the lack of Skype is a deal-breaker.

I believe this leak but I don't know if it's any more significant than the Skype icon shown in App World demos before the Playbook launch.
    Well there's the old addage "fool me once..." It is too much of a risk to have something RIM knows will be leaked not be there at launch. Not delivering focuses attention on the minuses of the device and it not where RIM needs to go. We will see soon but it is my guess they would have not published these icons if there was the chance that some Skype connection would be missing at launch.
    lorax1284 likes this.
    01-15-13 10:55 AM
    I sincerely hope it's true. I recall a Skype icon showing up on some pre-release PlayBook images as well.
    Either way, it won't deter me from buying a BB10.
    jvictor77, schmeat and magutwit like this.
    01-15-13 10:59 AM
    The Skype icons appear together with a group of icons that appear on the BB10 Contacts App, so my guess is that this icon will just appear in a field on the contact manager, so that you can enter a Contact's skype ID.
    Rllli likes this.
    01-15-13 11:00 AM
    The Skype icons appear together with a group of icons that appear on the BB10 Contacts App, so my guess is that this icon will just appear in a field on the contact manager, so that you can enter a Contact's skype ID.
    For what reason? . Rumors, just rumors.
    01-15-13 11:04 AM
    You have to look closely, but those icons look like status icons, as indicated by the file name... where the coloured icon is the "unread" indicator, and the gray one is the "already read" indicator.

Those icons will be for Skype IM text messages... if text messages are at least integrated, that's a start, even if I can't make Skype voice calls.... but I hope it's the whole deal, voice calls, video chat, even screen sharing would be cool.
    01-15-13 11:06 AM
    Um, no.
    Microsoft is migrating Messenger users to Skype. Period. Not some interim Skype-like Messenger client, but Skype itself.
    You are right. I am saying, that the Skype client on BB 10 is going to be a replacement for Windows Messenger client. It'd not be full featured. It'll only allow text chat. Just like Google Talk (works in text-chat only mode on BlackBerry)

That may be true - but does it help, if the big part of my friends won't jump ship and will continue to use WA on any other platform? I don't think so, sorry. Just keep in mind that those problems could also be region related, so I can only speak for my 'environment' and my surroundings. As far as I read and know through CB, WA isn't such a big deal in the US.
    Agree with you that WhatsApp a big deal for many. But if WhatsApp doesn't make it to BlackBerry 10, BlackBerry users are going to start using a substitute (like oVoo, LiveProfile) and then they will ask all their friends to download oVoo or Live-profile etc So, sure, lack of WhatsApp is bad but it is not so bad because we will have some other "free" substitute.

Downloading a free app is no big deal. If I tell my non-BB friends to download some messenger, they will do it as long as it is free. In fact, I got a lot of my friends to download WhatsApp in the first place.
    01-15-13 11:09 AM
    Face Flow is definitely going to be on BB10 and it's a great alternative to Skype.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-15-13 11:13 AM
    You are right. I am saying, that the Skype client on BB 10 is going to be a replacement for Windows Messenger client. It'd not be full featured. It'll only allow text chat. Just like Google Talk (works in text-chat only mode on BlackBerry)...
    We actually know that Google Talk is coming, because we've seen it on a leaked screen-shot. I'm aware that on BBOS ("traditional" BB) that it's text-only, but what makes you so sure it won't be a full client on BB10?
    01-15-13 11:23 AM
    We actually know that Google Talk is coming, because we've seen it on a leaked screen-shot. I'm aware that on BBOS ("traditional" BB) that it's text-only, but what makes you so sure it won't be a full client on BB10?
    Sorry if I came across as being 'sure'. I was (am) just guessing. Would love to have guessed wrong!
    01-15-13 11:26 AM
    Sorry if I came across as being 'sure'. I was (am) just guessing. Would love to have guessed wrong!
    See, personally, I don't think MS is going to publish a "text-only" Skype client at all. I don't get why they'd bother.
    01-15-13 11:31 AM
    See, personally, I don't think MS is going to publish a "text-only" Skype client at all. I don't get why they'd bother.
    Probably to attract customers to THEIR own platform (Windows Phone). Like here, there was a thread suggesting BBM becomes cross-platform but with limited feature set on non-BlackBerry devices. Google also limits feature set on non Android platforms, I think. Google Voice, Google Talk have more features on Android.
    01-15-13 11:34 AM
43 12