Microsoft takes first steps towards a browser-based version of Skype | The Verge

A browser-based version of Skype now seems inevitable as Microsoft has taken the first steps towards its support of the web Real Time Communication (WebRTC) HTML5 standard. GigaOm reports that Microsoft submitted its own proposal for WebRTC today, as Customizable, Ubiquitous Real Time Communication over the Web (CU-RTC-Web). The standard, essential to a plugin-free video and audio communications in HTML5, will likely be used in future browser-based versions of Skype � something we've seen hinted at previously in Skype job listings.

Although Microsoft will implement a browser-based version of Skype video calling in its Outlook.com webmail client soon, we understand this particular implementation will require a plugin and will not use WebRTC initially. Microsoft's contribution to the W3C WebRTC working group is slightly different from Google's own support, varying largely down to codec support, and the standard has not yet been finalized � so we're not expecting to see a new web version of Skype anytime soon. The foundations of the standard, providing they're approved, will set the framework for a future of plugin-free audio and video communication web apps � including Skype, Google Talk, and others

In theory, if this does get approved, Skype will be available as a web app which can be downloaded to your PlayBook or BB10 device!!! Don't think it would be too much trouble for Skype to then convert this to a native app for BB10
    08-06-12 09:28 AM
    Actually I think there are significant differences between web apps and platform-specific apps, so I' not sure you can make the connection you're suggesting (that it's a short leap from a web app to a native BB10 app) based solely on the article to which you refer.
    08-06-12 10:26 AM
    The only reason there isn't a browser based version alredy is becasue Microsoft/Skype don't want just any devices to use their services. Like Netflix or Hulu they will simply make it not work on the Playbook. If it does work YAY?

But who really cares about Skype. Who doesn't have a laptop/computer these days... Get real, do people want to hold their tablets at eye level for extended periods just to "skype." Just because you can do something doesn't mean you will
    08-06-12 10:30 AM
    The only reason there isn't a browser based version alredy is becasue Microsoft/Skype don't want just any devices to use their services. Like Netflix or Hulu they will simply make it not work on the Playbook. If it does work YAY?

But who really cares about Skype. Who doesn't have a laptop/computer these days... Get real, do people want to hold their tablets at eye level for extended periods just to "skype." Just because you can do something doesn't mean you will
    Take it from one who travels, I'd rather use my iPad for skyping than my computer. It boots quicker, renders apps quicker and connects to the internet faster. So yes, tablet for me when skyping.

I very much hope the Playbook has Skype capabilities soon (2013)
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-06-12 10:33 AM

who cares? MOST.
    08-06-12 10:38 AM
    Putting an HTML5 application does go to show that Microsoft wants it to run on most devices. So atleast they want it to be out there for BlackBerry, that's a step in the right direction...
    08-06-12 10:46 AM

Alot of people want Skype to deny that is naive, personally I have NEVER used Skype outside of client installation request. But I know that ppl use it alot and having it isn't going to hurt, but more likely help.
    Every business user with a tablet goes out of their way to try and make it as much of a desktop/laptop replacement as possible. So the only on pc Skype talk is silly. We got stands so it's not even about holding it for prolonged time , and tablets are meant to be media consumption devices.
    It may seem like a company is against rim when their Web stuff don't work. (sometimes it's true ) but things like what codecs are used vs what codecs are supported by a device are more likely scenarios for not working on a particular device..
    08-06-12 10:47 AM

Reminds me of when people say "who cares about Netflix. I have a TV at home."
    Or, "who cases about playing games. I have a consoles at home."
    08-06-12 11:25 AM
    This reeks of the "it's not available for xxxx, therefore it's a useless feature" defense.

Personally, I have no need/use for Skye. So for me, I couldn't care less about it.
    However, many people do care. There are a lot of people who carry around their tablet and leave the notebook at home or at the office. And as tablets evolve further, even more people will rely on them. So apps like Skype are extremely important.
    08-06-12 11:38 AM
    This is a non-starter of a story we already know Skype is coming to the browser within outlook.com although it is not available yet.

You can see what it will look like here.
    Last edited by cgk; 08-06-12 at 01:43 PM.
    08-06-12 11:53 AM
    Take it from one who travels, I'd rather use my iPad for skyping than my computer. It boots quicker, renders apps quicker and connects to the internet faster. So yes, tablet for me when skyping.

I very much hope the Playbook has Skype capabilities soon (2013)
    Maybe you should have spent the money on a half decent laptop, mine boots faster than my playbook. Core i5 got it for around the price of a "New iPad"
    At the end of the day the "apps" being written for your precious pad are being written on COMPUTERS. I bet it would be much more comfortable to place a laptop on your LAP and tilt the screen to the perfect angle. When you're travelling do you have any accessories to prop it up? Or are you one of those people that hold a ten inch screen in front of your face?

I very much hope that BB10 has Skype integrated into the OS.
    08-06-12 12:04 PM
    Actually I think there are significant differences between web apps and platform-specific apps, so I' not sure you can make the connection you're suggesting (that it's a short leap from a web app to a native BB10 app) based solely on the article to which you refer.
    I disagree

Webapps and BB10 native apps can look identical and act identical on BB10, it is actually an internal competition between the Cascades guys and the WebWorks guys who put out better tools and can have better apps made,
    ONLY when you need low level access is native really better, if Skype can be made as a web application then it could be ported to BB10
    08-06-12 12:06 PM
    I disagree

Webapps and BB10 native apps can look identical and act identical on BB10, it is actually an internal competition between the Cascades guys and the WebWorks guys who put out better tools and can have better apps made,
    ONLY when you need low level access is native really better, if Skype can be made as a web application then it could be ported to BB10
    I didn't say a web app couldn't be ported to native app.

I didn't say that web apps and native apps couldn't look or act identically.

I didn't say that native apps were better than web apps or vice versa.
    08-06-12 01:00 PM
    My take from the article is MS (and Google) are trying to get their WebRTC CODECs built in to the HTML5 standard. If they do, and RIM adheres to the standard (which they take pride in doing) Skype should work fine on the BB10. You would only need to open a browser to the Skype site and it would effectively run an HTML standard client on your device. It could, and likely would, look and act like a native app.

That is is promise of HTML5. So far, based on the few demos we've seen, the promise is being fulfilled.
    08-06-12 01:15 PM
    As long as it works and works well, I don't care how the sausage is made, be it HTML5 or Native.
    08-06-12 02:17 PM
    In the olden days, we had access from all devices to all Web sites, then apps came along which only work in walled gardens.

Will html5 eventually obsolete the walled garden apps and enable a return to universal access?
    08-06-12 02:18 PM
    This is a non-starter of a story we already know Skype is coming to the browser within outlook.com although it is not available yet.

You can see what it will look like here.
    Sadly, there's a catch on that one. According to a report on TheVerge today, it looks like browser-Skype will INITIALLY be implemented as a browser plug-in...

Microsoft takes first steps towards a browser-based version of Skype | The Verge
    08-06-12 02:49 PM
    In the olden days, we had access from all devices to all Web sites, then apps came along which only work in walled gardens.

Will html5 eventually obsolete the walled garden apps and enable a return to universal access?
    Where is the profit in that??

While Steve Jobs publicly state that HTML5 was the future...

I bet folks at Apple would rather not see the future where HTML5 apps could run on any platform. They are going to want a "bite" out of each App that is ran on an iOS device. Might be why they want apps to be integrated with their Ecosystem and be about to access the iCloud. No iDevice, no iCloud no fully working non apple supporting apps.
    08-06-12 03:02 PM

Eventually I think that will happen because the people who pay to have all those apps written will get tired of paying to write them for iOS, Android and BB10 or WP. The thing is I wonder how much of app development budget comes from marketing? I think writing applications to do what can be done on the Website is a marketing function.
    08-06-12 03:15 PM
    Eventually I think that will happen because the people who pay to have all those apps written will get tired of paying to write them for iOS, Android and BB10 or WP. The thing is I wonder how much of app development budget comes from marketing? I think writing applications to do what can be done on the Website is a marketing function.
    just read the youtube ap has disappeared from the iphone...so you may have a point.
    08-08-12 05:26 AM
    just read the youtube ap has disappeared from the iphone...so you may have a point.
    That's nothing to do with app development cost - that's to do with the licensing being up and Google wanting to control the youtube experience and the sale of ads.
    08-08-12 06:39 AM
    Not sure if it is true but Skype may become available on the Playbook when the 2.1 OS comes out. It will allow access to the camera and microphone, I believe.
    I'm not technical enough to understand but that is what I read somewhere.
    08-08-12 07:13 AM
    BB10 MUST have Skype ability AT release, period!
    ...I believe the BB10 phones could survive without Netflix but a lack of skype will kill RIM.
    08-08-12 12:09 PM
    BB10 MUST have Skype ability AT release, period!
    ...I believe the BB10 phones could survive without Netflix but a lack of skype will kill RIM.
    I would call that a "nice-to-have", even a "fantastic-to-have", but with Video Chat being integrated into BBM RIM might just have its own competitor.

Yes, I'd prefer to see Skype on BB10, but I don't think it's dead in the water without it, either.
    08-08-12 12:39 PM
    I would call that a "nice-to-have", even a "fantastic-to-have", but with Video Chat being integrated into BBM RIM might just have its own competitor.

Yes, I'd prefer to see Skype on BB10, but I don't think it's dead in the water without it, either.
    HUH?

What good is a video chat app if its not multiplatform? It would be like the video chat on my playbook... I can't use it with anyone.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    08-08-12 03:11 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD