01-07-13 02:05 PM
62 123
tools
    don't know anyone with a landline left
    UK and Europe in general is holding on to land lines, you're almost not trusted if you don't have one, for example for credit purposes. Phones books and yellow pages are still delivered to every door here every year.

Also international calls to land lines can be 10 times cheaper compared to international calls to mobile phones.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    12-30-12 06:17 AM
    That's changing fast. One out of households in the UK don't have a landline but have a mobile phone.

The younger generation in general use mobile exclusively. I'm in Canada and I cut off my landline 5 years ago when I noticed that 90% of it's usage was initiated by telemarketing calls.
    12-30-12 07:55 AM
    If you pay $3 a month, you get unlimited calling to phone numbers in the US and Canada with Skype. A lot of people use that service.
    I would be calling Europe, my family is in Poland. The calling card runs me about $5 a month to Poland. Skype wants $6.99. So using a landline the phone card would be cheaper than calling a landline there with Skype. If I had Skype it would be with some video at least and would only use my data. I usually only use 2GB of my 6GB/month, sometimes I'll go crazy in a month and get close to 3GB with heavy internet radio use. So if I got Skype I wouldn't be paying anymore anything more for my calls than my current plan. In any case, I prefer Skype because we get to see eachother.
    12-30-12 10:31 AM
    MS will license it's EXFAT tech to anybody who's willing to pay for it. That's a far cry from going out and making an app.
    But it demonstrates MS is willing to share tech with a competitor for a price. I'm sure RIM and Alec Saunders would be willing to have a team to help develop the app. RIM has had app teams on hand to offer willing app developers to make it easy for them. It really boils down to Microsoft's willingness.
    12-30-12 10:36 AM
    My iphone and droid friends say skype sucks compared to facetime and gchat...I am waiting on faceflow and so are my friends.
    12-30-12 10:41 AM
    We can't make Microsoft the key to BlackBerry 10's success. Yes, I would like OneNote, Netflix, Office, Skype, Messenger, and every other Microsoft application that is available, but if they're not there that's fine too. This is not a Microsoft phone, it's a BlackBerry.

Live Messenger has been on BlackBerry for YEARS. Microsoft is combining it with Skype in Q1. RIM is most likely not going to cut off an important service to consumers, and going to give us Skype.

Well, yes Live Messenger has been on BlackBerry for years. But that wasn't Skype and back then MS and RIM weren't battling it out with Android and iOS. So the times have changed. That aside, I have no doubt that RIM would like to give us Skype, I feel it may be in MS's hands.

I agree Skype can't be the key to RIM's success. I don't think it is anyway. I don't think many people would be detered from BlackBerry 10 just because Skype isn't there. I myself am dying to have Skype on my phone. I've wanted it since there were rumors Nokia would be putting Skype on its E61 and since we saw a Skype logo in App World before Playbook launched. However, if there is no Skype I will still be buying BlackBerry 10. BlackBerry 10 has so many amazing features... I can't wait.
    12-30-12 10:43 AM
    But it demonstrates MS is willing to share tech with a competitor for a price. I'm sure RIM and Alec Saunders would be willing to have a team to help develop the app. RIM has had app teams on hand to offer willing app developers to make it easy for them. It really boils down to Microsoft's willingness.
    Again, there's a big difference between sharing tech, and licensing it. Microsoft, for example, is in the business of licensing tech. They license Windows, Office, Exchange, etc., etc. They sure as heck don't share it. Whether they licensee happens to be a competitor really has no bearing. EXFAT most likely falls under RAND rules for licensing terms, which means non-discrimination. Sharing tech for a price doesn't even make sense. Where I come from, we call that "buying."

RIM can offer to send 1000 people to MS to help them develop a new Skype app, and they will be soundly refused. Why? Do you really think MS is going to allow employees from another company, especially a competitor, look into the inner workings of their proprietary technology? That would be like Coca-Cola letting people from Pepsi to come and watch as they mix the secret formula.
    12-30-12 11:01 AM
    Honestly do we really need Skype anymore. BBM Video chat!!! No but seriously, with the front facing cam, someone else will cash in on it. If Microsoft wants to sit back and twiddle their thumbs, let em. They'll be watching their mobile technology piece of the pie shrink anyway.
    So your cutting yourself away from everyone who doesnt own a BB10 device?
    CairnsRock likes this.
    12-30-12 11:13 AM
    I agree. I love my Berry. The only drawback for me is the lack of Skype. When I jumped ship last year and went with iPhone and Android, I loved the fact that I had Skype at my disposal on my new phones. My Android asked me on every call if I wanted to SKYPE the call or go with Cellular. I could turn this option off but I liked it. Many of my colleagues overseas are on Skype, and it really is a drawback that my Beloved Berry does not do Skype. Give me a BBerry with Skype and I'll be one seriously happy Berry-Bunny. So to speak.
    12-30-12 06:02 PM
    Here's an analogy with the Playbook browser and it's ability to support flash.

Even though it was slow and lacked features, at least it could access the "full web". And for this reason, many PB users (some posting in this thread) touted the PB browser as superior to the iPad browser. But what was the difference really? How much more of the web could the PB get to that the iPad couldn't? Let's say that the PB could access 99% of the full web. Flash is still being used, but for 49 out of 50 websites, Flash is either not used or a substitute is provided. So maybe the iPad can access 97% of the full web. So the iPad users lost out on 2% of the functionality.

Now switch gears and think of Skype and BBM. For these apps, the equivalent of the "full web" are the people on smartphones. Skype has access to 90% of the "full web" while BBM has access to 10%, Imagine a browser that is only allowed to open one out of ten websites. The argument that some people are making here goes like this: Personally, for me, I can get by with accessing 10% of the web because all of my bookmarks happen to be in that group. Which could be true. But where does that leave the rest of the potential new users who want access to more that that 10%?
    12-30-12 06:52 PM
    There's no way Skype is coming on BB10 anytime soon. Microsoft is dedicating its resources on getting the Skype app out for windows phone (still a crappy preview app right now) why would it think about bringing it out for its direct competitor to the 3rd spot. Then there's the chicken egg problem. If it made a Skype app for BB10 it would just help RIM while not being a good investment decision for MS at that time.
    12-31-12 08:14 AM
    Honestly do we really need Skype anymore. BBM Video chat!!! No but seriously, with the front facing cam, someone else will cash in on it. If Microsoft wants to sit back and twiddle their thumbs, let em. They'll be watching their mobile technology piece of the pie shrink anyway.
    If BBM Vid Chat is anything like BBM, you won't be able to to chat with anyone who doesn't have a BB, right? It's a nice addition to BBM but useless if all your friends/family have Androids or iPhones.
    Sorry but I think you only read half of my post. I did mention that there is the front facing cam that (to date and to our knowledge) none of the developers have made a play for.
    01-07-13 02:05 PM
62 123