Putting aside whether or not you desire Skype on BlackBerry 10 either baked in or as an app, for the sake of discussion what do you think the chances are that we will have it for launch? Do you think Microsoft is holding it back because they see BlackBerry 10 as a threat? Do you think RIM is not interested because they are leveraging BBM and positioning it as a direct competitor to Skype?

Insight? Comments? Discuss!

EuroPolska
    12-28-12 10:43 AM
    Another of many similar posts.....
    battery, mrmartis, antiRIM and 1 others like this.
    12-28-12 11:18 AM
    I think we're unlikely to see it at launch. Maybe if BB10 proves itself as a capable platform, Microsoft will decide to bring it over, but for the first while I feel that Microsoft will be sitting it out. Having said that, I haven't got much evidence to base this on, but I just feel we would have heard something about it by now if Skype were coming at launch.
    12-28-12 11:21 AM
    Honestly do we really need Skype anymore. BBM Video chat!!! No but seriously, with the front facing cam, someone else will cash in on it. If Microsoft wants to sit back and twiddle their thumbs, let em. They'll be watching their mobile technology piece of the pie shrink anyway.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    12-28-12 11:28 AM
    I would like to use Skype to communicate with family in other countries who don't have access to luxuries like high end cell phones. They're lucky to be able to afford a feature phone let alone a smart phone. They have an old computer that can run Skype. There is definately a need for a communication tool with video chat that is multiplatform many people have access to.

Also, because of the time zone difference I can only contact them during work hours and we can not install software on our work computers. So would like Skype on my mobile.
    Last edited by europolska00; 12-28-12 at 12:01 PM.
    jerryeight and ralfyguy like this.
    12-28-12 11:49 AM
    I would like to use Skype to communicate with family in other countries who don't have access to luxuries like high end cell phones. They're lucky to be able to afford a feature phone let alone a smart phone. They have an old computer that can run Skype. There is definately a need for a communication tool with video chat that is multiplatform many people have access to.

Also, because of the time zone difference I can only contact them during work hours and we can not install software on our work computers. So would like Skype on my mobile.
    If Skype doesn't make it's way to BB10, you will have FaceFlow to look at. Maybe that would be an option for you and your family.
    annon91221 and Toodeurep like this.
    12-28-12 12:15 PM
    I have heard that BBM Desktop will offer video chat. Why don't you use that if its true?
    12-28-12 12:18 PM
    All of us will have the "I need" and "I do not" with very valid reasons, personally I have years that I stoped using my skype account and at this moment I do not need it, but some others do and some others will at certain point ... I think we must have the option to use it or not.

Maybe is not fair, but those apps maybe should came (IMO) not free to dowload, so we can pay for it if we need it, or not =)
    12-28-12 12:23 PM
    I have heard that BBM Desktop will offer video chat. Why don't you use that if its true?
    BBM Desktop is currently just a rumour, I wouldn't rely on it until we get at least some kind of confirmation, at most a full announcement.
    12-28-12 12:23 PM
    I personally don't care about Skype as I won't ever use it, but I think it would bring a lot of value to the platform.

Cross platform communications applications are important. The only reason apple can get away with face time being a closed platform is because there are 15 billion iPhones out there

I know three people with BBM. I know many more who can run skype.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    12-28-12 12:47 PM
    Honestly do we really need Skype anymore. BBM Video chat!!!
    If BBM Vid Chat is anything like BBM, you won't be able to to chat with anyone who doesn't have a BB, right? It's a nice addition to BBM but useless if all your friends/family have Androids or iPhones.
    12-28-12 12:52 PM
    I just read, also, that FaceFlow works via the PlayBook browser.... for those of us that have them, that's a great feature.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    12-28-12 01:08 PM
    I love the smell of Skype in the morning.
    12-28-12 01:23 PM
    I think that is what many foget. Skype allows communication across platforms.
    digitalman101 likes this.
    12-28-12 01:31 PM
    Does FaceFlow have a desktop client? In a pinch that might work. Would be a solution, all be it not a great one since the computer they run can barely run with Skype running, with other programs open, which they use with the rest of my family on Android phones. Still a good suggestion none the less. Thank you!

I hope BBM Desktop would support Skype functionality in that case though. Go RIM Go! We're all most there people! #TeamBlackBerry!
    12-28-12 01:37 PM
    All of us will have the "I need" and "I do not" with very valid reasons, personally I have years that I stoped using my skype account and at this moment I do not need it, but some others do and some others will at certain point ... I think we must have the option to use it or not.

Maybe is not fair, but those apps maybe should came (IMO) not free to dowload, so we can pay for it if we need it, or not =)
    I think you make a very valid point, and I don't think it is unfair. If there is an app that the majority don't want, then the minority can contribute a few dollars to help have that app made. I would be willing to pay a few bucks for a Skype or Netflix app. Interesting idea.
    12-28-12 01:42 PM
    I think that is what many foget. Skype allows communication across platforms.
    I feel the same. Like people ignore the cross-platform issue and we do live in a cross-platform world.... until BlackBerry 10 takes over the world that is.
    12-28-12 01:44 PM
    Does FaceFlow have a desktop client? In a pinch that might work. Would be a solution, all be it not a great one since the computer they run can barely run with Skype running, with other programs open, which they use with the rest of my family on Android phones. Still a good suggestion none the less. Thank you!

I hope BBM Desktop would support Skype functionality in that case though. Go RIM Go! We're all most there people! #TeamBlackBerry!
    Yes it does have a desktop client. Can be used right over the browser too. I've never used it so can't give an opinion on it but it is coming to BB10 and it is cross platform.
    12-28-12 02:13 PM
    Honestly do we really need Skype anymore. BBM Video chat!!! No but seriously, with the front facing cam, someone else will cash in on it. If Microsoft wants to sit back and twiddle their thumbs, let em. They'll be watching their mobile technology piece of the pie shrink anyway.
    At first, BBM video chat will be great for BB to BB users only. RIM needs to extend this service to the desktop (BB Desktop, Windows, MAC...) to non BB users. BBM video chat and BBM voice can easily overtake Skype in market share. It really sucks for Microsoft that they couldn't get it right on their own platform. Some low-end Nokia phones can't even run the software!
    12-28-12 03:26 PM
    FaceFlow.com's video chat service (currently web-based) will be available for the Blackberry 10 when it comes out, on January 30
    12-28-12 09:34 PM
    Skype also goes to any landline phone.
    digitalman101 and MTL like this.
    12-28-12 09:51 PM
    I hope its one of the many surprises we'll see on January 30th
    12-29-12 01:01 AM
    BlackBerry has never been seen as a threat; mainly because it was built around a separate market entirely. Whereas companies like Samsung and, yes, even Microsoft, have been making their products with the mass consumer, what most of us will call, "The Public," just take a look at Microsoft's Windows Phones (whoever they are created by, it's still Winows' operating system), they created the recent OS so that it is fully customizable, and even look at the apps available: more games, more books, more things the public can use. Now take a look at BlackBerry. It's always been built around the business consumer, that's why it has more business tools. It was always the public who made it a social phone. Even the tablet was only brought out to keep up.
    12-29-12 07:36 AM
    I think you make a very valid point, and I don't think it is unfair. If there is an app that the majority don't want, then the minority can contribute a few dollars to help have that app made. I would be willing to pay a few bucks for a Skype or Netflix app. Interesting idea.
    The problem to this is simply that Microsoft has decided current development will be only for Microsoft platforms, with some lucky competitors allowed to follow later. It doesn't matter how many $$$ the other platforms offer, the answer from Redmond will still be "No!" and it is unlikely to be only a "few dollars" per user to make them change their minds.

Looking at BB users who want and those who don't, there are other considerations which they all overlook for mobile use. Cellular carrier (non)acceptance and monetization will be a major obstacle which will probably constrain Skype to WiFi. Even if the carrier allows usage Skype video calls will have a huge impact on available bandwidth and eat a typical user's data package faster than anything now available.
    12-29-12 08:23 AM
    Excluding all of the technical babble, YES I would like to see Skype available on all Blackberry devices that are capable. Not because of increase profit or any of that stuff, but because I'm selfish (i want what i want). I want my Blackberry devices to have everything that everybody else have. With all that said, I hope that Skype and Netflix are part of BB10 just so I can stop saying "my blackberry support that"
    12-29-12 08:36 AM
62 123