I say this because Microsoft owns Skype, Right?. So they are holding this off to be an advantage for Windows phone customers. I look at it like this, If u STOP helping ALL your customers whichever platform they are on they will eventually jump ship. the world is going mobile FAST. I have recently left skype and use Fring, There are SOOOOO many more advantages out there on fring then skype EXCEPT for the customer base (which is a big deal) but its only a matter of time when u find another program because the one u were using is not mobile or not available for ur device, The world is going mobile and I feel Skype is falling behind, I have found 2 many advantages on fring and now have been converting my friends 1 by 1, I feel the only TRUE way to be successful is NOT to be exclusive but open to ALL carriers/OS's/Customers, Like FaceBook you can find that app on ANYTHING that's why they have over 1 billion users and still keep it growing and r so successful. Apps like Instagram and skype will never reach its full potential unless they are like facebook and whatsapp and can be used by EVERYONE, No sense why FB owns Instagram but is only on a few OS's, Or why Apple has a Skype app and Windows does not? Is it me or are there some dumb people in high places?? I was taught to make a successful business it starts with having a growing customer base and what I see is Developers capping their growing customers. Why? Something I'm missing??? Its a Loosing situation from what I see. I mean when Angry Birds was not on BlackBerry and other OS's do u know how much money that developer was missing out on, I know he made a sh$t load of money but he was missing out on hundreds of thousands of $$$, I know I would want my game as the #1 game world wide and not just the #1 game in App world. Can a developer clear this up for me??
    11-08-12 11:39 AM
    I totally agree with you and i think that we will see a change with html5 becoming so powerful its bound to happen, even with instagram and its new web profiles. There will be a shift away from apps as soon as devs start to harness the power of mobile browsers that are getting better and better each day. That being said though we still live in an app-centric world (at least for now) which is why i email my favorite developers on a weekly basis to remind them of being open to all platforms. Also with more and more cross-platform dev tools popping up it will soon be a develop once distribute every where type of world...
    11-08-12 02:19 PM
    I totally agree with you and i think that we will see a change with html5 becoming so powerful its bound to happen...
    I agree. The biggest limitations of delivering apps is the various OS's (Cocoa, C, C++, Java, Linux etc) that differ from greatly from each other, from a programming point of view. With HTML 5 developers and create on general app that will cover all systems and only have to change the User Interface to suit the platform they are deploying the game on. Once the dust settles I think platform specific apps will be nearly non-existent.
    Jonathank likes this.
    11-08-12 02:47 PM