O.K. this articles are presenting some down side for this technology and certainly for the apple product but I do think this technology could improve by the time the iPhone 5 comes out next summer. But it is an interesting read.

Siri Security Glitch Adds to IPhone 4S Problems - Forbes

Apple's Siri Speech-Recognition Software - Video - Bloomberg

Although I prefer the privacy of just replying to an e-mail or the speed of shortcuts on my keyboard that bystanders hearing what I am receiving or sending I think there is a place for a voice UI. Maybe as early as next year or the following year the glitches will be out and we can all enjoy it as one option in mobile communications.
    10-26-11 08:32 AM
    Security Glitch.... or user Glitch? Wonder how many people even use a passcode?? If they do, then they can change Siri's settings.

And while Siri isn't perfect, it is one of the most accurate (and funny) implementations I've seen of speech recognition and control.
    10-26-11 10:19 AM
    Users can pick one - security or convenience. This is a non-issue that is being reposted constantly to suggest that other companies are having problems like RIM is.
    Last edited by rdkempt; 10-26-11 at 11:16 AM.
    10-26-11 10:24 AM
    Although I prefer the privacy of just replying to an e-mail or the speed of shortcuts on my keyboard that bystanders hearing what I am receiving or sending I think there is a place for a voice UI. Maybe as early as next year or the following year the glitches will be out and we can all enjoy it as one option in mobile communications.
    The point of a voice UI is "search". Users no longer need Google, Bing or Yahoo to get answers.

Siri bypasses the search engines by accessing apps to get answers. Need to make a reservation restaurant? It takes you to Open Table. Need to buy something? It'll search Amazon's app (or any of the hundreds of other retailer apps). Need to know the height of a specific mountain? It will scan the Wiki app for you. One answer all the time. Not a myriad of links.

The fact that it responds to voice eliminates the need for typing. At all.
    10-26-11 10:49 AM
    How many times you guys need to post this? Seriously.

It is not a security glitch. If you want convenience, allow Siri to be accessed from the lockscreen without a passcode. If you want security, do not allow Siri to be accessed from the lockscreen without a passcode. You have an option. The user decides. Security is put in the users hands.
    K Bear and Phil DeLong like this.
    10-26-11 10:55 AM
    Tada!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude I was going to...well never mind AVT is here......Thread reported....we all know where this is headed...just like the OLD post abut this.....

like have said and will say anyway..Just like a BB without a password. Is it a security glitch?????
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 10-26-11 at 11:12 AM.
    10-26-11 11:04 AM
    RIM didn't make it, so it is dangerous to humanity...
    Pete6#WP and adamkesher like this.
    10-26-11 11:04 AM
    It's made by Apple so who cares about security. After all, Apple users are all nice people, aren't they.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-26-11 11:08 AM

It is not a security glitch. If you want convenience, allow Siri to be accessed from the lockscreen without a passcode. If you want security, do not allow Siri to be accessed from the lockscreen without a passcode. You have an option. The user decides. Security is put in the users hands.
    THANK YOU. It's not a security glitch.

No problems with my 4S. Loving it! Best device I've owned.
    10-26-11 11:13 AM
    But to the BB fanboys it is a Security Glitch......LOL
    How long did the op look for those articles? After all this has been discussed on this forum a few days ago.

I am really starting to believe the OP is a closet Apple fan........
    10-26-11 11:17 AM

Can you describe the way to do it ?
    Edit (2) : oops, got this one too :
    Users can turn off Siri access when the 4S is locked by visiting “Settings,” clicking “general” and “passcode lock,” then toggling the switch for “allow access to Siri when locked with a passcode” to the off position. After this action is taken, the handset requires passcode entry before Siri can be used
    Means : type before you talk ... hum.
    Side : is it the phone or Siri that is locked ? Ambiguous.

How is it set up by default ?
    Edit : got this one :
    The phone toggles Siri’s settings right out of the box, which may surprise unsuspecting users and put them at risk for compromised security, especially in the event of a lost iPhone.
    Means : you're a big kid, but grow up fast.

Yes.
    So to use it, just slide the screen locker ... hum.
    What about voice print ? Ok, ok it's beta ...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-26-11 at 11:49 AM.
    10-26-11 11:34 AM
    The point of a voice UI is "search". Users no longer need Google, Bing or Yahoo to get answers.

Siri bypasses the search engines by accessing apps to get answers. Need to make a reservation restaurant? It takes you to Open Table. Need to buy something? It'll search Amazon's app (or any of the hundreds of other retailer apps). Need to know the height of a specific mountain? It will scan the Wiki app for you. One answer all the time. Not a myriad of links.

The fact that it responds to voice eliminates the need for typing. At all.
    spoken in Siri, ...bleep.... Did you mean..."a tall"

Typing is still the fastest and direct method and will be for a long time. I would fire an assistant that misunderstood what I spoke as often as Siri. Sure its okay being stuck in the car for long periods of time but what about being on a bus/train/plane/party? Might be nice to have the odd time but nothing to run out and get IMO. And saying Siri all the time would be super annoying. I don't think or say... clock, what time is it lol I just find out the time. They trying to invent a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist.
    Last edited by dentynefire; 10-26-11 at 11:38 AM.
    10-26-11 11:36 AM
    10-26-11 11:43 AM
    O.K. this articles are presenting some down side for this technology and certainly for the apple product but I do think this technology could improve by the time the iPhone 5 comes out next summer. But it is an interesting read.

Siri Security Glitch Adds to IPhone 4S Problems - Forbes

Apple's Siri Speech-Recognition Software - Video - Bloomberg

I have a feeling you've never used visual voicemail or Vlingo.
    10-26-11 11:47 AM
    Honestly, I see both sides of the is it a glitch question. Many (most?) users would reasonably expect that the sending of text messages/email and access to their contacts and calendar would not be allowed on a passcode protected phone.

On the other hand, Apple knows their base. If someone chooses iPhone, then security/privacy is not a primary consideration, or they are simply uninformed. A few extra prompts when passcode protection is set or a link to more security info/options would alleviate this problem.
    10-26-11 11:47 AM
    Honestly, I see both sides of the is it a glitch question. Many (most?) users would reasonably expect that the sending of text messages/email and access to their contacts and calendar would not be allowed on a passcode protected phone.

On the other hand, Apple knows their base. If someone chooses iPhone, then security/privacy is not a primary consideration, or they are simply uninformed. A few extra prompts when passcode protection is set or a link to more security info/options would alleviate this problem.
    Just a question ... is "unlock my phone" ... no, I'm bashing. Not good, bad boy.
    Sorry 4 that ... but sometimes it's refreshing to be the hunter
    No more, I prOmiSs !!!
    10-26-11 11:54 AM
    Come on guys, is this REALLY worth arguing over? If you must debate lets just use the original thread.....

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...omberg-663082/
    10-26-11 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD