I have disagree I really wanted a blood sugar monitor and a breathalyzer.... what the hell were they thinking!

Posted via my Z10 STL100-3 running on 10.2.1.1925
    Oh yeah, know that's functionality. The S5, the perfect companion for the local drunk.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 08:14 PM
    Trash opposed to the Sony Xperia Z2 and the 2014 HTC One (coming March 25th).

People think the GS5 is the best phone on the market, but it clearly isn't.

Just for clarification on the Sony:
    - better design
    - better build quality
    - better display
    - 400 mAh bigger battery
    - better camera
    - dual front facing stereo speakers
    - higher water/dust proof certification
    The G S5 is Not a Note.

Sony phones usually under perform with bigger batteries, with Samsung phones besting them.

Design and display preferences are subjective.

Sony cameras has almost always underperformed in their phones.

Front speakers didn't help the HTC One.

Not sure where you got the part about everyone thinking it's the best. Most upgrades to the 5 will be coming from the 3, and from that perspective it's a massive upgrade in performance and capabilities.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    02-28-14 02:37 AM
    The G S5 is Not a Note.
    The Note is a completely different device class and therefore, for a "general purpose high end smartphone", the GS5 is still Samsungs flagship mass market offering that shares the ring with the Xperia Z2, HTC One, LG G2 and iPhone 5S/6, NOT the Note.

Sony phones usually under perform with bigger batteries, with Samsung phones besting them.
    As far as I remember, Sony phones were - in the past - well known for too small batteries combined with less efficient chipsets as opposed to the competition. The smartphone industry is evolving quickly, as are smartphone vendors and this time around Sony packs a 14%+ bigger battery than the GS and has a near identical chipset (MSM8974AB vs ...AC). Both phones go a little beyond 5". It'd fairly surprise me if the GS5 bests the Z2 in battery life at all. If anything, it might be marginally at best.

Design - granted somehow. Though I'd be really surprised if it turned out that people prefer the GS5 over the Z2 from a design standpoint.
    Display - better not. There is something I call 'true quality'. And when it comes to displays in smartphones, personal preferences aside, brightness and the natural color reproduction and saturation an ISP display delivers are of higher quality. Also not to forget is a full RGB matrix opposed to pentile. How can a pentile deliver higher quality? C'mon.

Sony comes a long way with their cameras and last thing I heard was that they heavily improved in this department with their most recent 20MP offerings, so much that The Verge staff wasn't able to tell if Joshua Topolsky's Instagram photos were taken by an iPhone 5S or a Sony Xperia Z1. So there's that.

How pointless is this scentence? Weren't we talking about product quality? There are hundreds of reasons why people choose phone A and not phone B. People chose Samsung devices, because it's the phone their friends use and because it's the phone with the highest SoV (share of voice). This doesn't say anything about the quality of the speakers - the average consumer is dumb in the first place and makes his purchasing decisions based on (very simple minded) reasons people like us don't understand. Long story short, there's no doubt about the fact that dual front facing stereo speakers deliver much higher quality than any rear facing mono speaker in today's phone (maybe McIntosh could accomplish the opposite, but this isn't the case). That even hasn't anything to do with personal preferences, not even remotely.

Not sure where you got the part about everyone thinking it's the best.
    Why would the average consumer buy it if this wasn't the case? Did you ever talk and came to know average consumers? I did it a hundred times, I see people like this every day and I talk to them. It's about brand and product awareness - that's it. And from the perspective of the average consumer, who isn't that involved into smartphones and tech like we are, things and (purchasing) decision making should be easy. All these people know is that they want a smartphone and the next question they want to be answered is "what's the phone to get". And 99 out 100 consumers in general will know that there's Apple with the iPhone on the one side and Samsung on the other side - based on marketing spendings, the press and media in general and their friends. Guess what? Those people go into stores and look at an iPhone and the latest Samsung device and make their decision just between those two, completely ignoring the rest of the market. It's that easy and it has nothing to do with product quality or details primarily. Just look at girls from 16 - 30 of age. 95% of girls that age I see carry either a white iPhone or a white Galaxy S. Do you really want to tell me that all these girls, that care mostly about shoes, makeup, partying and lifestyle went through the www and different stores and evaluated the competition? Not at all.
    02-28-14 08:05 AM
    The G S5 is Not a Note.
    The Note is a completely different device class and therefore, for a "general purpose high end smartphone", the GS5 is still Samsungs flagship mass market offering that shares the ring with the Xperia Z2, HTC One, LG G2 and iPhone 5S/6, NOT the Note.

As far as I remember, Sony phones were - in the past - well known for too small batteries combined with less efficient chipsets as opposed to the competition. The smartphone industry is evolving quickly, as are smartphone vendors and this time around Sony packs a 14%+ bigger battery than the GS and has a near identical chipset (MSM8974AB vs ...AC). Both phones go a little beyond 5". It'd fairly surprise me if the GS5 bests the Z2 in battery life at all. If anything, it might be marginally at best.

Design - granted somehow. Though I'd be really surprised if it turned out that people prefer the GS5 over the Z2 from a design standpoint.
    Display - better not. There is something I call 'true quality'. And when it comes to displays in smartphones, personal preferences aside, brightness and the natural color reproduction and saturation an ISP display delivers are of higher quality. Also not to forget is a full RGB matrix opposed to pentile. How can a pentile deliver higher quality? C'mon.

Sony comes a long way with their cameras and last thing I heard was that they heavily improved in this department with their most recent 20MP offerings, so much that The Verge staff wasn't able to tell if Joshua Topolsky's Instagram photos were taken by an iPhone 5S or a Sony Xperia Z1. So there's that.

How pointless is this scentence? Weren't we talking about product quality? There are hundreds of reasons why people choose phone A and not phone B. People chose Samsung devices, because it's the phone their friends use and because it's the phone with the highest SoV (share of voice). This doesn't say anything about the quality of the speakers - the average consumer is dumb in the first place and makes his purchasing decisions based on (very simple minded) reasons people like us don't understand. Long story short, there's no doubt about the fact that dual front facing stereo speakers deliver much higher quality than any rear facing mono speaker in today's phone (maybe McIntosh could accomplish the opposite, but this isn't the case). That even hasn't anything to do with personal preferences, not even remotely.

Not sure where you got the part about everyone thinking it's the best.
    Why would the average consumer buy it if this wasn't the case? Did you ever talk and came to know average consumers? I did it a hundred times, I see people like this every day and I talk to them. It's about brand and product awareness - that's it. And from the perspective of the average consumer, who isn't that involved into smartphones and tech like we are, things and (purchasing) decision making should be easy. All these people know is that they want a smartphone and the next question they want to be answered is "what's the phone to get". And 99 out 100 consumers in general will know that there's Apple with the iPhone on the one side and Samsung on the other side - based on marketing spendings, the press and media in general and their friends. Guess what? Those people go into stores and look at an iPhone and the latest Samsung device and make their decision just between those two, completely ignoring the rest of the market. It's that easy and it has nothing to do with product quality or details primarily. Just look at girls from 16 - 30 of age. 95% of girls that age I see carry either a white iPhone or a white Galaxy S. Do you really want to tell me that all these girls, that care mostly about shoes, makeup, partying and lifestyle went through the www and different stores and evaluated the competition? Not at all.
    02-28-14 08:06 AM
    That's kind of a difficult comparison to make, only because it's not comparing apples to apples. You're putting an OS up against a device. From a pure hardware specs point of view, no current BlackBerry device can compete with the GS5. The Z3 being a device for emerging markets was never intended to do so. As an OS , BB10 has come along nicely from 10.0 to 10.2.1. It's a modern and capable OS and I have no problem using it as a daily driver. I like the UI but that's purely subjective and a matter of preference. The ability to run most Android apps doesn't really make BB10 better or worse than Android. It just makes for a better ownership experience now that users can have a decent app selection to draw from (if they're willing to put in the time to learn how to get them on device without a native app store).
    02-28-14 09:23 AM
    No it can't. The heart rate monitor on the s5 sealed the fate of all BlackBerry phones. It's all downhill from here for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Heart rate monitor????????

Do you think this will decide the fate of BlackBerry???

Please... write something reasonable.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 09:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    They were being sarcastic...
    02-28-14 09:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    Have BlackBerry put something reasonable in their phones, like a heart rate monitor and I shall write something reasonable.

And read the thread in its entirety to see where I'm coming from on this point.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 10:02 PM
33 12