So, I just downloaded 10.2.1 thanks to Sachesi and its great. My instagram, Vine and Snapchat work perfectly well except for Video??? oh well.

*Sidenote, I do have Sprint, I know, I know...so I only have the Q10. I would LOVE a TOUCH Screen blackberry 10 (like my 9850 I loved that style).*

With news of Samsung Galaxy S5 coming in April, It has made me wonder: Do you think Blackberry 10.2.1 can ACTUALLY compete with the NEWEST phone on the market the S5? I mean Especially since we don't know WHEN the Z3 will officially be released.

I'm actually curious of everyone's thoughts because right now we CAN easily download all of droids apps (except VSCO cam for some reason ugh).
    Last edited by @ivansharris; 02-26-14 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typo
    02-26-14 10:00 PM
    Android is the OS to beat and it is not because of apps. It is about sheer options and capabilities. The S5 has some interesting hardware capabilities. BB10 can compete but it is still very young. Where they have to win is in fast communications, security and stability. They have a long way to go to catch up to Android OS which has been built upon steadily for many years now. If apps are all that matters then for the most part BlackBerry can compete, but it still needs some kinks ironed out in the software. It will come in time. I'm liking what BlackBerry has done so far and I am impressed with the capabilities they have added in such a short time. Let's hope that it can grow this year.
    TgeekB likes this.
    02-26-14 10:23 PM
    No it can't. The heart rate monitor on the s5 sealed the fate of all BlackBerry phones. It's all downhill from here for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Grumblegrumble and BoldTeddy like this.
    02-26-14 10:28 PM
    In my opinion, the availability of Android apps has really helped BlackBerry. But as stated, Android has had some time to mature. IDK, hopefully10.3 will be out around that time. Nothing magical, but, it wouldn't hurt.
    02-26-14 10:38 PM
    No it can't. The heart rate monitor on the s5 sealed the fate of all BlackBerry phones. It's all downhill from here for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Heart rate monitor? D*mn.
    02-26-14 10:39 PM
    Heart rate monitor? So will it put Apple out of business? No I don't think so who cares about a heart rate monitor.

Keep The Faith ? BlackBerry Q10 ?
    bigbadben10 likes this.
    02-26-14 10:49 PM
    A heart rate monitor on a mobile phone..wow what a joke. Samsung is running out of rubbish to put on a mobile phone. If anybody seriously wants to check their BP, Sys, Dia and pulse they need a buy a real monitor. Just make sure you play Flappy Bird before you start your heart rate reading.
    02-26-14 10:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    This got me rolling

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 11:52 PM
    The contest hasn't really been phone vs. phone, or OS vs. OS, for several years already. The contest since about 2010 is ECOSYSTEM vs. ECOSYSTEM. That means:

• Devices: phones, tablets, wearables, accessories
    • Integrated cloud services
    • Media (music, books, movies, TV shows, magazines, etc.)
    • Native apps

BB has phones, but no tablets, wearables, and few accessories

BB has no integrated cloud services - it has to rely on 3rd-Party cloud services that it doesn't control. Not so great for security/privacy.

BB's media offerings are the weakest of all ecysostems.

BB's app offerings are the weakest of all ecosystems, and for most users, being able to run SOME Android apps, with SOME functionality, isn't going to cut it. It makes existing users happy (since they know they have no other alternatives), but it isn't going to win over new customers. Plus, Android compatibility *could* go away - BB has very little control over this, and Google could decide to lock down Play Store apps so they won't run on non-Google-Certified devices (rendering Snap useless), and leaving BB with third-party Android apps stores, which would force developers to code a second version of their app for those stores, which many devs won't do. I don't believe Google would do this just because of BB (unless BB started advertising it), but the bigger threat is that Tizen, Firefox, and even WinPhone are all trying to follow BB's footsteps and use Play Store apps to compete against Google, and that won't be tolerated by Google for long.

Then there is marketing. Does anyone believe BB will be able to compete with Samsung's marketing dollars? That's a thought that's got to be keeping Chen up at night. Heck, that's why he's not focusing on (mature-market) consumers, but on enterprises and emerging market consumers.

In the great scheme of things, the actual handset isn't going to make a huge difference for Samsung - the Android ecosystem is so strong, as is Apple's, that customers will mostly buy one or the other, as they have been.
    TgeekB, bbmtna, bbq10l and 2 others like this.
    02-27-14 10:33 AM
    The Galaxy S5 is a trash phone.
    Sony Xperia Z2 and HTC One 2014 are the phones to beat in 2014.
    02-27-14 10:45 AM
    Trash as opposed to what though? Won't The S5 will be the best phone on the market? If I had the z30 I wouldn't be as skeptical, but SEEING as I don't see ANY NEW phones coming at least in the next 8 months (maybe never again for Sprint), the S5 is looking pretty good.
    02-27-14 11:25 AM
    Trash as opposed to what though? Won't The S5 will be the best phone on the market? If I had the z30 I wouldn't be as skeptical, but SEEING as I don't see ANY NEW phones coming at least in the next 8 months (maybe never again for Sprint), the S5 is looking pretty good.
    Trash opposed to the Sony Xperia Z2 and the 2014 HTC One (coming March 25th).

People think the GS5 is the best phone on the market, but it clearly isn't.

Just for clarification on the Sony:
    - better design
    - better build quality
    - better display
    - 400 mAh bigger battery
    - better camera
    - dual front facing stereo speakers
    - higher water/dust proof certification
    02-27-14 11:50 AM
    OK I went through all the new stiff on the S5 last night and when I saw the guy get so excited about the heart monitor I knew BlackBerry was sunk! I sure would love to have some of the camera specs but other then that my Z30 rocks!

Posted using a Z30
    02-27-14 12:05 PM
    Google isn't in control of what platforms the developers apps can run on. It's up to the developers to make that decision not to run on a Blackberry device.

Google can only control it's own services and what apps are submitted to its Playstore. Developers will not need to change their code for them to run on BlackBerry unless they were to submit them to BlackBerry World.

Zed30
    02-27-14 12:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    I have disagree I really wanted a blood sugar monitor and a breathalyzer.... what the hell were they thinking!

Posted via my Z10 STL100-3 running on 10.2.1.1925
    barbarianthemadserb and byex like this.
    02-27-14 12:32 PM
    Remember that APK install are for the developers only its not for consumer use..........
    bbq10l likes this.
    02-27-14 04:09 PM
    The Galaxy S5 is a trash phone.
    Sony Xperia Z2 and HTC One 2014 are the phones to beat in 2014.
    Or perhaps the Nexus 6.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    02-27-14 04:15 PM
    Remember that APK install are for the developers only its not for consumer use..........
    It's also not that great a feature as many apps will be hit and miss.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    bbq10l likes this.
    02-27-14 04:22 PM
    I have disagree I really wanted a blood sugar monitor and a breathalyzer.... what the hell were they thinking!

Posted via my Z10 STL100-3 running on 10.2.1.1925
    Ahahahahahahhahahhahahhaha. You forgot the defibrillator.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 04:25 PM
    No.

--------------------------------
    02-27-14 04:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol. I hope that was sarcasm because I have never looked at my phone and thought "Gee, I wish this had a heart rate monitor". That takes all the fun out of my hot nurse visiting my house every 2 weeks.
    02-27-14 04:32 PM
    Google isn't in control of what platforms the developers apps can run on. It's up to the developers to make that decision not to run on a Blackberry device.

Google can only control it's own services and what apps are submitted to its Playstore. Developers will not need to change their code for them to run on BlackBerry unless they were to submit them to BlackBerry World.
    That's how it is today, yes. But because of that, lots of Google's competitors are, or are planning to, use Android apps to compete against Google and the Play Store. Do you suppose Google will stand by and do nothing about that?

I suspect that Google will, at the very least, make chances to the requirements for the Play Store that prevents the Play Store version of the app from working on non-Google-certified devices. That would mean that you couldn't simply copy the APK from Google and install it - it wouldn't run.

Now, obviously, nothing would prevent an app developer from taking the same app, making some changes to it, and submitting it to the Amazon Market, or to 1Market, or Nokia's X Store (or whatever they plan to call it), just like nothing prevents them from making a version for BB World.

But right now, most of the apps on 1Market, for example, are apps that are stolen from the Play Store by third parties (i.e., not uploaded by the actual developer of the app), and that would be prevented as well. And if devs decided to only support the Play Store, and not make (and test and manage) alternate versions for other apps stores (as we've seen with BB World), then that app simply wouldn't be available without a Google-certified device.

It was one thing when it was JUST Amazon and a couple of Chinese markets serving to low-end crap devices, but now that BB, Samsung (Tizen), Microsoft (WinPhone), Jolla (Sailfish), and potentially others are all using, or planning to use Android apps, I think you're going to see Google take action. I don't know this for sure, but I've been paying attention to Google for a long time, and they don't surprise me too often, so I strongly suspect that this will happen within the next year or so.
    02-27-14 04:35 PM
    I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not? I hope so.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 05:11 PM
    Lol. I hope that was sarcasm because I have never looked at my phone and thought "Gee, I wish this had a heart rate monitor". That takes all the fun out of my hot nurse visiting my house every 2 weeks.
    Yes sir you are correct. It was all sarcasm.
    My sense of humour revolves around sarcasm.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 06:12 PM
    It was one thing when it was JUST Amazon and a couple of Chinese markets serving to low-end crap devices, but now that BB, Samsung (Tizen), Microsoft (WinPh I think you're going to see Google take action. I don't know this for sure, but I've been paying attention to Google for a long time, and they don't surprise me too often, so I strongly suspect that this will happen within the next year or so.
    You want to put money on that?

Google won't do anything about. You think BlackBerry decided to allow direct Apk installs to only have google throttle it in a year's time.

Okay buddaaaaay.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 06:16 PM
33 12