So I've been a CrackBerry head for a year now, and I'm starting to get the sense that maybe RIM is doing too much. There are a lot of phones in their stable and it seems that it may be too much compared to other smart phone companies. Mainly the heavy competition...Google and that other company.

Google has one phone...the android. And that other company has that other phone. Granted they do other things besides phones.

So wouldn't make sense for RIM to simplify their product line? Wouldn't they serve their clientele better if they had say a couple of phones which were the bees knees? It just seems that they have an awful lot of eggs in one basket. Google and that other company have multiple baskets and only few eggs. Does anyone else see the inherent risk in this setup for RIM?
    04-02-09 10:04 AM
    True but were talking about corporate company's with millions of dollars. I think they can spare the extra cash to hire on more people and have just an amazing line up of phones, apposed to an amazing line up of 5 phones.
    04-02-09 10:34 AM
    Interesting idea, but probably not gonna happen!
    04-02-09 10:50 AM
    I don't agree.

1st google doesn't make phones, they make an OS. There will be 100s of phones running Android.
    2nd Apple is a niche player on a single carrier. RIM makes a variety of phones because they operate on just about all carriers and are trying to appeal to a variety of demographics. They must sell a variety of products.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 10:52 AM
    True but were talking about corporate company's with millions of dollars. I think they can spare the extra cash to hire on more people and have just an amazing line up of phones, apposed to an amazing line up of 5 phones.
    I don't agree.

1st google doesn't make phones, they make an OS. There will be 100s of phones running Android.
    2nd Apple is a niche player on a single carrier. RIM makes a variety of phones because they operate on just about all carriers and are trying to appeal to a variety of demographics. They must sell a variety of products.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It's not just an issue of hiring on more people I suppose. How about making better use of the staff that you already have in house. At least that would be my goal if I were running "the show."

For example, a textile manufacturer in France completed an inventory of all the chemicals it used to make all of its products. They discovered that out of the several thousand chemicals used, all but 5 were known carcinogens, but they could still make their make a full run of products using only those 5 non toxic chemicals. The upshot, cheaper overhead, healthier employees, and environmentally safe (biodegradable) products.

I really think that smarter methods of production are the wave of the future and that means simplifying the processes not complicating them. I fully think that RIM can probably meet all of the demands of multiple carriers and a spectrum of end users.

I just don't see the point in carrying a glut of products. I think there is a lesson to be learned from "that other company." How do they make one product (we'll limit the discussion to that other phone) that is accessible to such a wide range of users? How can they get by with one phone to meet market demands, but RIM has to carry so many? It just doesn't make sense to me...
    04-02-09 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD