I am considering an AT&T Blackberry Bold. I know they block BB maps, but do they block it from being installed or merely from being used by the end user for mapping. I am interested in using things like Where and ubertwitter and other location based services and I understand that some of these will not work without BB maps.

Thanks in advance

Similar question posted in AT&T carrier discussion.
    08-11-09 09:50 PM
    It doesn't work on AT&T by default, but there are some workarounds. Do a search and you'll find ample reading on how to do it, if you feel like messing with it. Most people would just say to use the free Google Maps, but there are several other free optinos.

Good luck.
    08-11-09 11:12 PM
    Google maps > BB maps

You can run other apps without having BB maps.
    08-12-09 01:34 AM
    I think I am at fault here because I have not stated my question clearly enough. There are programs (like Where) that use GPS for location services that mandate that you use BB maps for maping services.

From the "Where" website....

3. Please make sure to have BlackBerry Maps installed in order for the WHERE application to find your location.

So let me try again. Is BB maps installable as a resource for applications like this, and merely hidden on the screen so that you cannot use it for everyday mapping, or will I need to perform a hack to even get it on my phone.

I agree that google maps would be superior if only by virtue of it not having attracted the evil eye of Sauron...err...um...AT&T and when I get my Bold I will most likely install it. My concern is that some other app might not use google maps for mapping and require BB maps. I realize that I am asking what probably amounts to the stupidest question possible here but, having never owned a BB, I am fairly clueless on this topic.
    Last edited by zwaaa; 08-12-09 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typographical error
    08-12-09 09:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD