I've been doing some digging through older news articles, and it really seems like the signs were there for quite some time now - BBRY knew that the US carriers would not be first out the gate.

Here's some reading - November:
    BlackBerry 10 will get full carrier support, RIM exec says | Mobile - CNET News :
    The company said more than 50 carriers around the world are testing BlackBerry 10 and its smartphones, but Tear declined to comment on how many U.S. carriers would support the phone. He said RIM would devote the appropriate resources to North America but stressed this was a global launch.
    August - focus here is entirely on enthusiasm of Canadian carriers. Though later re-bloggings of this story made it sound like RIM said that ALL carrier were enthusiastic, it's clear that when the news first came out they were talking about Canadian carriers: RIM Touts Carrier Enthusiasm for BlackBerry 10 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I also recall with 100% certainty that early last year, Thor made some remarks that very specifically indicated that US would not be among the first to receive the devices -- but I can't recall enough of the exact wording to find it.

My point is - in spite of discussion about carriers dragging their feet, or BlackBerry getting burned on the launch because carriers weren't ready to go... the signs have been there for the last 12-14 months. Every indication I can find (and recall) seems to say that this was in the cards (and their plans) all along.
    02-18-13 03:33 PM
    I've been doing some digging through older news articles, and it really seems like the signs were there for quite some time now - BBRY knew that the US carriers would not be first out the gate.

BlackBerry 10 will get full carrier support, RIM exec says | Mobile - CNET News :

August - focus here is entirely on enthusiasm of Canadian carriers. Though later re-bloggings of this story made it sound like RIM said that ALL carrier were enthusiastic, it's clear that when the news first came out they were talking about Canadian carriers: RIM Touts Carrier Enthusiasm for BlackBerry 10 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I also recall with 100% certainty that early last year, Thor made some remarks that very specifically indicated that US would not be among the first to receive the devices -- but I can't recall enough of the exact wording to find it.

My point is - in spite of discussion about carriers dragging their feet, or BlackBerry getting burned on the launch because carriers weren't ready to go... the signs have been there for the last 12-14 months. Every indication I can find (and recall) seems to say that this was in the cards (and their plans) all along.
    Who really needs american support, it's a dieing country

Sent from Magic Profile App
    GTiLeo likes this.
    02-18-13 03:44 PM
    Who really needs american support, it's a drying country

Are they drying because of global warming?
    COPiSEN, MADBRADNYC and schmeat like this.
    02-18-13 03:47 PM
    Not sure if I agree with that, I still believe that it was a strategic move by BlackBerry to release the Z10 to the US late. Test your phone around the world to make sure it's acceptable, then release in the IMPORTANT market (the US) once it's perfect.

People outside of the US are way more accepting of phones lacking apps, so it only makes sense imo
    grevan88, Acumenight and Dapper37 like this.
    02-18-13 03:47 PM
    That is what the Japanese, 2011 Terrorist and many others thought and think, but never mistake kindness for weakness!
    02-18-13 03:49 PM
    That is what the Japanese, 2011 Terrorist and many others thought and think, but never mistake kindness for weakness!
    WHAT!?!
    tjseaman, Barljo and jordandrews90 like this.
    02-18-13 03:51 PM
    Not sure if I agree with that, I still believe that it was a strategic move by BlackBerry to release the Z10 to the US late. Test your phone around the world to make sure it's acceptable, then release in the IMPORTANT market (the US) once it's perfect.

People outside of the US are way more accepting of phones lacking apps, so it only makes sense imo
    Could very well have been a strategic move, as you say - my point is only that if we look back at what various execs have been saying over the last year, it seems clear that this was always the plan. US was not intended to be among the initial markets to receive the phone.

I do wish I could find that article - it was from early last year (I think? maybe earlier - it could have been Balsillie? ) , and it was almost explicitly stated that they would be favoring other markets for initial release .
    02-18-13 03:52 PM

Yes, it appears to be a strategic move. The testing argument only works for so long before it sort of falls apart. I would agree that BB needs to put its best foot forward in the US market. If the Z10 gains some traction, then it is just a matter of time before it really catches on (IMO).
    02-18-13 04:02 PM
    of course it was bbry's strategy

many people seem to forget that this is BBRY's LAST CHANCE at the US consumer market

especially since Microsoft is able to keep throwing stuff at the wall with WP8 until perpetuity

they absolutely needed a buffer to build momentum and sniff out any potential major issues
    02-18-13 04:14 PM
    Are they drying because of global warming?

Awesome! :-)
    02-18-13 05:19 PM

Cool, just keep thinking that.
    02-18-13 06:12 PM

I can't believe you did not include that they are "too little too late". If security won't sell in the US it won't sell anywhere. I think a lot of Americans are the hyperconnected end users BBRY is looking for.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-18-13 07:33 PM
    LoL. Even the edit needs a spell check.
    I would think that wherever you're from needs at least literacy support from the US, since we're not "dying".

Funny how these people try to drop funny bombs in a thread and end up getting laughed at instead of laughed with.
    02-18-13 07:39 PM
    of course it was bbry's strategy

many people seem to forget that this is BBRY's LAST CHANCE at the US consumer market

especially since Microsoft is able to keep throwing stuff at the wall with WP8 until perpetuity

they absolutely needed a buffer to build momentum and sniff out any potential major issues
    That does sound reasonable. Especially given the domination of its smartphone market by Apple and Android. Maybe they are also buying time for the major apps to be available for BB10 by the time the Z10 launches in the US.
    02-18-13 07:44 PM
    US is still 22% of total market share of BB. Can not ignore goverment, banks and fortune 500 companies current BBs
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-18-13 11:52 PM
    It's not like BBRY is holding out on us. I mean it's nothing their fault. The USA carriers are the ones to blame.
    02-19-13 02:02 AM

Without US support, BB will die. Like us or not they need corporate AND Carrier support and from what I can see there will be little of it.
    What is the new Blackberry bringing to the table that sets them apart from the others. Sorry but I am still a little disappointed.
    jegs2, BergerKing and Bobert_123 like this.
    02-19-13 03:15 AM
    We will know if its Blackberry's strategy when it finally launches in the US, if it launches with the big name apps, and an updated OS with bug fixes, and legacy features reintroduced all ready and set for the US consumers, then yes, it was a strategy, and a good one in my opinion.

If on the other hand the Z10 launches in the same state it launched everywhere else, it was not a Blackberry strategy, and I seriously worry about things going forward, because I really don't see Blackberry being very proactive since launch (I know its still early days) but seriously, we all assumed to some extent we were going to see some grand marketing scheme after BB10 was revealed and a new face of the company would be presented, but since launch, I've seen probably 2 or 3 adverts from Phones4u advertising Z10 White exclusivity, nothing about features etc.
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    02-19-13 03:36 AM
    I don't think it was a strategy so much as a recognition of reality, they needed devices in the stores as soon as possible so could not wait for the longer testing period of the american carriers, so unless those carriers were going to be willing to shorten their test cycle they were always going to lag behind everywhere else just like they do with every other hardware manufacturer other than apple who know the states is their biggest market by far and are happy to make everyone else wait for them.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    02-19-13 04:39 AM
    I don't think it was a strategy so much as a recognition of reality, they needed devices in the stores as soon as possible so could not wait for the longer testing period of the american carriers, so unless those carriers were going to be willing to shorten their test cycle they were always going to lag behind everywhere else just like they do with every other hardware manufacturer other than apple who know the states is their biggest market by far and are happy to make everyone else wait for them.
    I do not think they had a sufficient supply to introduce in the USA. Also the carriers seldom drop their standards on testing before they drop a new device on their network. They do not have the resources nor want to pay for the resources to support a product that does not work well on their network. The fact that they have to be the first line of support for new products sold to their customers keeps them very conservative.
    02-19-13 05:39 AM

Almost concur with you, but the appropriate word is dying. Most rudimentary spell-check functions on modern web browsers would have caught that for you.

But even if the US is disintegrating, they still generate a major portion of sales of smart phones, so it's utter foolishness to attempt to sideline customers here. If Americans perceived they're being snubbed by Blackberry, that could significantly backfire and harm Blackberry.
    02-19-13 10:40 AM
    The complications with the US market could be much more then what is being presented, but OP your right, the US market wasn't targeted with this launch, I don't know where the articles are either, but it was said back in the day. A real question is, is there any organization in the US currently using the BB10 device. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some government agency or Fortune 100 company was using the BB10 devices already.
    02-19-13 10:49 AM

It was. I had forgotten. Thank you for bringing up facts.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-19-13 12:52 PM

This is the story, unfortunately it was on BGR and of course was pilloried here, lots of who ever heard of Detweiller Fenton - what do the know - and a post by Kevin that said there was no way the Q would come in June.

Reread it again and see how right it actually was back in Dec:
    BUSINESS
    Dec 7, 2012
    by Zach Epstein

9:30 AM
    Research In Motion (RIMM) is gearing up for a series of make-or-break releases that could be considered the most important device launches in the company’s history. Everything is riding on the success of the RIM’s BlackBerry 10 platform, which will be unveiled in its finished state on January 30th next year. RIM CEO Thorsten Heins is on record confirming that BlackBerry 10 will launch in the first quarter and company COO Kristian Tear previously stated new BlackBerry devices will be available “not too long after” the platform is unveiled late next month, but exact timing is still a mystery. According to Boston-based brokerage firm Detwiler Fenton, however, RIM’s first two BlackBerry 10 handsets won’t launch until March and June, respectively.

“RIM’s stock has been on a tear recently thanks to a number of upgrades and optimism surrounding its upcoming BB10 platform,” Detwiler analysts wrote in a note to clients picked up by Forbes. “However, as we dig a little deeper, there appears to be a few issues that could set up for some disappointing numbers in the 2013 first half.”

The firm goes on state that AT&T (T) and T-Mobile will launch the first BlackBerry 10 smartphone some time in March, while Verizon Wireless (VZ) and Sprint (S) are targeting May launches. Detwiler also states that the second BlackBerry 10 smartphone, which will feature a touchscreen and a full QWERTY keyboard, might not launch until June.

“Therefore, it is possible RIMM’s February quarter may only see a very small number of BB10 sales with the May quarter also coming in light due to limited QWERTY keyboard shipments and limited shipments to Sprint and Verizon,” the firm continued. “It’s our opinion RIM will ship approximately 400,000 BB10 units in the February quarter and 2.2 million to 2.5 million units in the May quarter. While this is clearly a North American / developed market view, we think this is the right way to look at the 2013 first half because the initial BB10 handsets are higher end and not targeted for emerging markets.”

When asked to comment on the Detwiler note, RIM spokesman Nick Manning reiterated the company’s earlier position. ”Details of the commercial availability for BlackBerry 10 will be announced at the global launch events on January 30,” Manning said in a comment provided to BGR via email. “Our executives have made it clear that the touch screen device will be available shortly after launch with the physical keyboard version to follow shortly after that.”

BGR’s own sources were not able to provide details regarding the exact timing of RIM’s upcoming launches, however we are hearing from reliable sources that RIM’s QWERTY-equipped BlackBerry 10 smartphone will launch well ahead of the June timeframe mentioned by Detwiler.
    02-20-13 07:22 PM
    I like how you said "unfortunately it was on bgr..."
    02-20-13 09:15 PM
27 12