Ok, so I've been looking over the forums .... And well , how many different signal r there and which company use them ... For US customers

As of right now all I know a bit about is CDMA .... But what does it mean ??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-11 08:56 PM
    Code division multiple access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try This Link, or Google... what specifically do you want to know?
    05-10-11 10:21 PM
    Basically the basics abbreviations, strength and what carrier uses ... You like sprint and there CDMA , ATT and I think there on smg or something like that

05-10-11 10:42 PM
    By the way tnx that really help but what about the other companies ... I heard that there r more signal types other than cdma

05-10-11 10:47 PM
    Basically the basics abbreviations, strength and what carrier uses ... You like sprint and there CDMA , ATT and I think there on smg or something like that

..................? abbreviations for what. why?

I like sprint because they're CDMA? ATT and I Think they're on smg (GSM) or something like that?

I don't get what you are saying....

anyways... The two major network types in the U.S. are CDMA, and GSM. Some carriers and devices use only one, some use both. The majority of carriers, and devices, usually only use one network type. There is also an iDEN network...(not as popular, mostly used for push to talk devices)

GSM / iDEN use sim cards, CDMA does not...

Read these, they will probably have much more information that you need...

Code division multiple access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GSM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Integrated Digital Enhanced Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    05-10-11 10:50 PM
    Actually I read on another forum some about this topic but I can't seem 2 find it any more .... But I'm just curies about the subject cause of the torch not being available for sprint that's all

05-10-11 10:58 PM
    Why didn't you say so ?

The torch is a GSM device. Uses a GSM network, and a GSM SIM card. It supports four different GSM fequencies, as different carriers/countries use different fewquencies. It is due to this, that it is not supported by Sprint, as their network is CDMA.

Think of it as trying to plugging your TV into a telephone line, rather than a cable line.. Or putting unleaded gasoline into a diesel engine It can't be done. The GSM Network is like unleaded gasoline (different octane levels.. some cars can use any, some cars can only use one type) and Diesel is more like the CDMA network... Not compatible...

The other big difference is that you cannot unlock a CDMA device. therefore even if company A, and company B operate the same frequencies, you cannot use a different network, other than that the phone was originally branded to...

Last edited by Tbrenn; 05-10-11 at 11:06 PM.
    05-10-11 11:01 PM
    Ohhhh ok .... I like u simplified that made feel a bit less dumb but good looking out this really help 2 knowwhy I got 2 pay more with ATT

05-10-11 11:11 PM
    Most of the US carriers are using CDMA, there is also GSM that is used mostly all over the world, GSM networks are using SIM cards, not like CDMA.

some US carriers are also use GSM like T-mobile / At&t.
    Some carriers are using both.
    Verizon for example using CDMA in the US but they also provide GSM sim cards for overseas use.
    05-11-11 05:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD