View Poll Results: SHould i get the SideKick 2008?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (explain)

4 10.53%
  • No (explain)

29 76.32%
  • Maybe (explain)

5 13.16%
    Sidekicks are closed OSes. Limited ringtones and games you can play that you have to purchase from their catalog. (which ticks me off, its 2008 let me choose where i get my ringtones)
    I have one but only because my ATT blackberry won't work at my home because no bars.
    I got the LX. Only thing I can really customize for free on it is the themes.

I like it for texting and the sidekick plan is cheap but thats about it. I wouldn't buy another one because of the whole ringtone situation makes me angry. Only reason I don't regret getting it is because the cheap plan.
    Last edited by sleepydumbdude; 08-04-08 at 04:31 PM.
    08-04-08 04:27 PM
    Two of my friends have sidekicks ID's and love them except they are huge (they are girls) and are going back to flip phones.

EDIT: They only use them for texting and IMing because they dont have the sidekick unlimited plan, they only have the unlimited family texting.
    Then why not talk to your friends who have already owned BlackBerries about this issue, as most of us have not even owned one

Or convince one of them to sell you their old SideKick iD for cheap, since you said they are getting rid of it. Then swap your SIM into it and make the changes to your rate plan!!

While the initial cost of a new device will pay for it self in savings, I really love my 'Berry running 4.5.0.46 ( I hated it when it was running 4.2 because it crashed probably 10-15 times a day.)
    I have never heard anyone say their Berry was "crashing" under OS 4.2...
    08-04-08 04:27 PM
    at twelve, i dont think you need a cell.
    lmfaO!!!
    08-04-08 04:31 PM
    Then why not talk to your friends who have already owned ?BlackBerries? about this issue, as most of us have not even owned one

Or convince one of them to sell you their old SideKick iD for cheap, since you said they are getting rid of it. Then swap your SIM into it and make the changes to your rate plan!!

I have never heard anyone say their Berry was "crashing" under OS 4.2...
    well it was freezing to the point where it needed a battery pull, I consider that a crash. My friends already know who they are selling them to and they a brand new phone of their choice out the deal too because they are all sisters.
    08-04-08 04:33 PM
    lmfaO!!!
    I agree because nowadays kids are getting prepaid cells at the age of like 8.
    08-04-08 04:34 PM
    Do the phones of all the people you text to have email addresses? I think most plans give you an internet email address for the phone that is the phone number @ the carriers address (I.e. [email protected]). If they do then you can drop the texting plan for your BB and text them via internet email. Just have them reply to your messages to text you if they cannot address an SMS to am email address on their phone. It might be a tad clumsy but it could save you $20/month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-08 10:05 PM
    ive tried to use that for a day and it was very clumsy to say the least. Im 12 which means most of my friends are that age too and they dont even know how to figure out which carrier they are on which means that solution would never work.
    08-05-08 01:54 AM
    Can some one give my pros and cons of the switch?
    08-05-08 02:20 AM
    Pros: cool flip screen, good resolution. Cheaper bill. There are cool lights when you get a text.

Cons: not as much customization. The sidekick is very closed off to 3rd party things.

I had to decide between the Sidekick LX and Blackberry Curve and I ended up getting the Curve because of the reviews I read and comparisons

08-05-08 02:48 AM
    What's a sidekick? Do you mean something like Chuck Norris or Superman has?
    LMAO, got me and the whole office laughing on this one.......

I haven't used a sidekick, but I am sure the KickStart will bust the sidekick all round when released
    Last edited by mobiman; 08-05-08 at 02:55 AM.
    08-05-08 02:50 AM
    I think the previous post and your "poll" speak for themselves.
    08-05-08 05:10 PM
    Seriously Branden, I think you should have adequate information from the 3 pages of replies. You keep asking for pros and cons, put some together for yourself and make a decision. I think you already know what you want to do but keep asking for others opinions. I understand you are 12, but it sounds like you have your head on straight and can make an educated decision for yourself from this point.

08-05-08 10:15 PM
    i used to have a sidekick

id say switch

itll impress your friends more (honestly theyre 12 lol)

and you wont appreciate the bberry until you get older and by then who knows how much sexier the bberrys will be

jsut being honest but id say go to the sidekick

ill never convert but for your age and purpose its perfect
    08-05-08 10:24 PM
    Two of my friends have sidekicks ID's and love them except they are huge (they are girls) and are going back to flip phones.

EDIT: They only use them for texting and IMing because they dont have the sidekick unlimited plan, they only have the unlimited family texting.
    wait the girls are huge? hahahahaha

sorry i had to do it
    08-05-08 10:28 PM
    Either way, you're good. I wouldn't say for you age get a sidekick, but I would say go into a store and play with both... which one do you feel comfortable with?
    08-06-08 12:47 AM
    Either way, you're good. I wouldn't say for you age get a sidekick, but I would say go into a store and play with both... which one do you feel comfortable with?
    well i feel comfortable with both devices my only delema is that i think i will get bored with the sidekick in a week. when i was with one of my friend's sidekick 2 i got bored in like 15 minutes.
    08-06-08 12:03 PM
    Lol sounds like u already made up ur mind man. If u want the side kick for the full qwerty, save up and get the curve.

08-06-08 02:04 PM
    Lol sounds like u already made up ur mind man. If u want the side kick for the full qwerty, save up and get the curve.

yeah, and ive decided to keep my BB and someday get a curve or javelin.
    08-06-08 02:57 PM
    Excellent Choice!

08-06-08 02:59 PM
    I thik so too.

08-06-08 04:34 PM
    Bumping
    This refers to posting with the deliberate intention to either pad your post count or to keep a thread 'hot' so it appears at the top of the forum. Bumping can sometimes be useful, but you must wait three days from the original post to bump the thread. Only one bump is allowed per thread per user. CrackBerry.com's moderator’s reserve the right to delete useless “bumps” at their discretion.
    You responding to everyone's remarks automatically bumps the thread.
    Last edited by cate; 08-06-08 at 08:22 PM.
    08-06-08 08:19 PM
    You responding to everyone's remarks automatically bumps the thread.
    oh sorry.
    08-06-08 09:54 PM
    Is staying with my pearl and someday getting a curve or Javelin instead of getting a sidekick a good decision?

Last edited by branden3112; 08-07-08 at 01:36 PM.
    08-07-08 12:00 PM
    Both my girls have the sidekick and they are about as addicted - if not more- to that than me on my BB.
    08-07-08 12:33 PM
    Is staying with my pearl and someday getting a curve or Javelin instead of getting a sidekick a dog decision?

Seriously? Wow!
    08-07-08 12:50 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD