View Poll Results: SHould i get the SideKick 2008?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (explain)

4 10.53%
  • No (explain)

29 76.32%
  • Maybe (explain)

5 13.16%
    I'm thinking of switching to the new SideKick 2008 from my BlackBerry Pearl because it will save me $20 every month because the texting internet and email plan is one add on that is $20 a month, instead of $20 for family plan unlimited texting and $20 unlimited BIS. BTW, I'm 12 and use my berry mainly for texting, internet, email, IMing and news. any people that have done this and switched back? what are the pros and cons of the switch?
    Last edited by branden3112; 08-04-08 at 03:57 PM.
    08-04-08 03:34 PM
    I would take a Pearl over a SideKick any day... and even the KickStart, which should be hitting shelves in the near future
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-04-08 at 03:53 PM.
    08-04-08 03:43 PM
    at twelve, i dont think you need a cell.
    08-04-08 03:44 PM
    What's a sidekick? Do you mean something like Chuck Norris or Superman has?
    08-04-08 03:45 PM
    What's a sidekick? Do you mean something like Chuck Norris has?
    hahaha!! I busted out laughing in my office...

that was a classic!!
    08-04-08 03:45 PM
    The OP is asking a legitimate question regarding the differences between 2 devices. Let's put age and spelling aside here, and offer constructive advice please.
    08-04-08 03:51 PM
    If you do get a sidekick make sure it's a hot one! They're always nice to look at! When I was younger, I used to call my sidekick a palm pilot!
    08-04-08 03:55 PM
    The OP is asking a legitimate question regarding the differences between 2 devices. Let's put age and spelling aside here, and offer constructive advice please.
    Thank you. and BTW I fixed the spelling and grammar.
    08-04-08 03:58 PM
    Get the sidekick...it's for the younger crowd.
    08-04-08 03:58 PM
    If you do get a sidekick make sure it's a hot one! They're always nice to look at! When I was younger, I used to call my sidekick a palm pilot!
    I don't get it. Why did you call it a Palm Pilot? Can someone give me some pros and cons of each device for my use?
    08-04-08 03:59 PM
    Get the sidekick...it's for the younger crowd.
    Yes, but I think i might get bored of the Sidekick because with a Blackberry you can install lots of free apps...
    08-04-08 04:01 PM
    Stick with the BlackBerry. You'll be much happier in the long run.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-08 04:06 PM
    The sidekick definetly has less you can do on it. And one of my close friends has one and her's continuously has problems. Not only that, but the sidekick is huge for a device that doesnt have nearly as much as the blackberry does. And seems a little behind technology wise. They JUST now got MMS on them if I'm not mistaken..and that's only on the newer models. The LX has it, I'm not sure about the slide or 2008.

I've heard more bad about the sidekicks than good. Though of course they're easy to text on.

But if you want something really simple, go with the sidekick. If you want more for your money, I say keep the blackberry.

If you want to know more about the SK, go to poweredbydanger.com
    It's a forum just for the sidekick.

I hope that helped some.
    08-04-08 04:10 PM
    Stick with the BlackBerry. You'll be much happier in the long run.

I want to because i like how small it is and i love SureType and push email but saving $20 a month is a lot on a 12 year olds budget. I only have $50 to work with per month and right now I only get $20 of it because $30 goes for my BlackBerry. I'm really on the fence! Can some one please give some pros and cons?
    08-04-08 04:12 PM
    Two of my friends have sidekicks ID's and love them except they are huge (they are girls) and are going back to flip phones.

EDIT: They only use them for texting and IMing because they dont have the sidekick unlimited plan, they only have the unlimited family texting.
    08-04-08 04:14 PM
    Sounds like you need to mow more lawns or do some extra chores. There's always ways to make a few extra bucks. You'll just have to find them.

08-04-08 04:16 PM
    The sidekick definetly has less you can do on it. And one of my close friends has one and her's continuously has problems. Not only that, but the sidekick is huge for a device that doesnt have nearly as much as the blackberry does. And seems a little behind technology wise. They JUST now got MMS on them if I'm not mistaken..and that's only on the newer models. The LX has it, I'm not sure about the slide or 2008.

I've heard more bad about the sidekicks than good. Though of course they're easy to text on.

But if you want something really simple, go with the sidekick. If you want more for your money, I say keep the blackberry.

If you want to know more about the SK, go to poweredbydanger.com
    It's a forum just for the sidekick.

I hope that helped some.
    DO you know if sidekicks are durable?
    08-04-08 04:16 PM
    I've never owned a Sidekick, but it seems to me that the pros of it are monetary, and the pros of the Blackberry are functional. If money is that big of an issue, maybe switching would be the thing to do. If money is just one consideration, then the Blackberry might be the way to go. Which device, carrier, and plan to go with is a personal preference, and also a budget related decision.
    08-04-08 04:17 PM
    Sounds like you need to mow more lawns or do some extra chores. There's always ways to make a few extra bucks. You'll just have to find them.

I have no neighbors because I live in the middle of nowhere and I've already asked my parents if i could do more chores if they pay me , but they said "NO, we already pay you $50 a month." They are stubborn.
    08-04-08 04:19 PM
    Honestly, if your parents allot you only $50/month to live on, why would you spend nearly 50% of that on a data plan for a Blackberry that you don't really need? I understand Blackberries are wonderful devices, and you shouldn't be denied that phone just because you are 12. Although, if you were my child, you would not have a Blackberry, let alone a cell phone, at 12. At any rate. That is not the point. The point is that $20 out of $50 a month is quite a bit of money to be spending on something you do not necessarily need. I doubt you actually have a real need for push email, Docs to Go, etc. etc. etc...... No offense, but really... at 12, no person needs a business tool like a Blackberry.

Bottom line: If it were me, I would honestly go with the Sidekick, as it will save you money, and you don't need all the features the Blackberry has to offer. Just my opinion. I hope this helps.
    08-04-08 04:20 PM
    DO you know if sidekicks are durable?
    I've never owned one, but every single person I know that has one (and I know around a dozen people that do/have owned a sidekick) have had to replace it more than once in short amounts of time. In fact, I believe Tmobile has gone from letting you replace your phone every time it breaks to only twice a year now if that tells you just how poorly made they are.
    08-04-08 04:21 PM
    My girlfriend just bought the sidekick slide, and she is a bit disappointed. As far as i know there is no real way to set up your own mp3s as ringtones...thats her biggest beef. Theres not really much when it comes to customizing a sidekick. If you do get a sidekick i would highly suggest the LX, its a more solid device overall.
    08-04-08 04:22 PM
    I've never owned a Sidekick, but it seems to me that the pros of it are monetary, and the pros of the Blackberry are functional. If money is that big of an issue, maybe switching would be the thing to do. If money is just one consideration, then the Blackberry might be the way to go. Which device, carrier, and plan to go with is a personal preference, and also a budget related decision.
    While the initial cost of a new device will pay for it self in savings, I really love my 'Berry running 4.5.0.46 ( I hated it when it was running 4.2 because it crashed probably 10-15 times a day.)
    08-04-08 04:22 PM
    My girlfriend just bought the sidekick slide, and she is a bit disappointed. As far as i know there is no real way to set up your own mp3s as ringtones...thats her biggest beef. Theres not really much when it comes to customizing a sidekick. If you do get a sidekick i would highly suggest the LX, its a more solid device overall.
    I don't like the LX because its huge and I like the keyboard on the 2008 more. I also like the look and customization of the 2008.

EDIT: I always have my phone on vibrate so the MP3 ringtone is not a issue for me.
    08-04-08 04:24 PM
    That's true. That's the reason behind the sk 2008. The whole hype is about being able to 'customize' your sidekick. But the only 'customization' you can do to it is change the faceplates.
    08-04-08 04:25 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD