I've ran through all the OS' on this phone and the GPS isn't for ****.
    Side by side with storm and droid those phones show where I am while the curve shows me being over a mile away from where I actually am.

Any suggestions on what OS to get this piece of crap to actually function?
    01-13-10 08:04 AM
    Contact verizon.. I can tell you sprint nav is very good for me. Not sure if it is your carrier or device but I would think carrier at first glance.
    01-13-10 09:07 AM
    I've ran through all the OS' on this phone and the GPS isn't for ****.
    Side by side with storm and droid those phones show where I am while the curve shows me being over a mile away from where I actually am.

Any suggestions on what OS to get this piece of crap to actually function?
    Mine is dead on even when I'm in my house. What mapping program are you using that shows you to be a mile off?
    01-13-10 09:27 AM
    mine sux, too- sprint- it mattyers not what map i use- google r sprint. it is way off.
    01-13-10 10:24 AM
    Google is what I would like to work (crazy far off), but even BB Maps sucks. IF after 10 minutes it is able to connect to a Sat, its just as far off as google maps.

VZW Wants me to download their nav app but I just refuse to pay them to test out the GPS on the phone.
    01-13-10 10:35 AM
    Google is what I would like to work (crazy far off), but even BB Maps sucks. IF after 10 minutes it is able to connect to a Sat, its just as far off as google maps.

VZW Wants me to download their nav app but I just refuse to pay them to test out the GPS on the phone.
    FYI google maps is NOT using the GPS to find your location. Using BB maps it may take a bit for the GPS to find its self. After that you should be good to go.
    01-13-10 11:18 AM
    and why wouldn't google maps be using GPS for my location?
    On my storm it used GPS, on my Droid it uses GPS, is the curve just such a piece of crap that it doesn't?
    01-13-10 12:06 PM
    On my storm it used GPS, on my Droid it uses GPS, is the curve just such a piece of crap that it doesn't?
    No, Verizon blocks 3rd party apps from the gps on the curve.
    01-13-10 12:31 PM
    There have been a lot of threads about this. GPS chip on 8330 is weak. However, BBmaps has worked well for me when needed. And yes, VZW is greedy when it comes to GPS and 8330.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 12:32 PM
    after the .175 upgrade BBmaps is working very well, still no google... damns yous Verizon!!!!!!!!!
    01-13-10 01:08 PM
    after the .175 upgrade BBmaps is working very well, still no google... damns yous Verizon!!!!!!!!!
    There have been some work around solutions. Some have had sporadic success opening BBmaps to GPS first and then opening Google. I have a stand alone GPS and rarely use my Curve for directions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 01:17 PM
    The GPS on my Alltel 8330 blows! I have only been able to get it to lock 3 times. Once it took over 5 mins and then 2 more times after that it locked in a couple of secs. Then I did a batt pull and it hasnt locked since. My VZW 8830 with BB Maps would lock in a few secs EVERY time. Does the 8830 and the 8330 have the same chip?
    01-15-10 08:51 AM
    Just to show the inconsistency, my 8330 works perfectly every time and locks within about 10 sec. It is sccurate down to a few feet as I can tell when I cross over a street on BB maps, it is right when it happens in real life. Maybe it is where you are located
    01-15-10 08:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD