BD, I humbly regard you as one of the smartest, quickest and most level headed people on the forum and an ESSENTIAL balance in favour of BB.

Not trying to set you up, but I reckon for some folks telling them to leave BB is like telling a depressed fan to support Man Utd instead of his losing team when he is angry for them to do better.

I am beginning to think that much of the negativity on here is from folks who haven't even reached the point of being disenfranchised but are disenchanted, upset because their team appears to be going down without a fight.

I recall from your posts that you are not English, ergo you will not know the harrowing disappointment we are subjected to every tow years in the Euro ans World cup. England invented football, have the players, the talent, the money, the fans, but just can't drag their asses out of the fire. RIM (flinch, hate that word) invented the smart phone, have the brains, have the means, have the money etc...

I know the pain!
    He he, I really don't like football but maybe your clubs should stop buying romanian footballers lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-11 04:59 PM
    He he, I really don't like football but maybe your clubs should stop buying romanian footballers lol

Haha, you could be right about that but then we'd be depending on the local population, not a chance
    07-09-11 05:05 PM
    Haha, you could be right about that but then we'd be depending on the local population, not a chance
    I'd like to add that I am a firm beleiver in "less is more" way of life, I gave up my 1100cc V4 motorcycle for a 700cc Smart car lol, doing 140 mph is great but only got to do it once in Germany, speed limit is 70mph here after all.

07-09-11 05:09 PM
    If you look at Blackberries as just mere LED indicators, you are probably nothing more than a fanatical and ignorant fanboy. Sure, the current Blackberries are not as flashy or powerful than Apple and Androids, but when it comes to the essentials, they are still KINGS:

-Security: Blackberry has automatic encryption of email, IM and various data via BIS, the least amount of viruses and malware and BIS monitoring to ensure solid data connection and security. What does Apple and Android have? Enough said.

-Data Efficiency: Blackberry has excellent data compression, which allows me to send and receive more data using less bandwidth. From most Blackberry sources, Blackberries are 5-10 times more efficient with data usage than Apples and Androids, perfect especially since companies are now imposing data limits and throttles.

-Excellent OS Reliability: I use my phone heavily to receive and send data pertaining to my business on a daily scale. My phone works tirelessly without and fusses. It's been three months since I bought my Blackberry and it has not crashed. Compare that to my friends who Apples and Androids, and they deal with periodic OS problems.

-Keyboard: I have tried a lot phones with qwerty keyboards and none match the speed, preciseness and feel of a Blackberry - period. I can type with ease for hours end.

-Battery: My battery life has averaged between 12-24 hours (this is with content encryption ON). Without content encryption, it can most likely reach 2 days, something Apple and Android CANNOT do. Also, why does Apple make a phone without a replaceable battery? In short, this is just plain stupidity.

-Email: Blackberry's email system is the best in the business, period. It's not only secure, but has the best user interface. It's so good that I now do 97% of emails on my phone than my computer.

The only copying RIM needs to do is with marketing. In regards to battery, Apple's averages 4-6 hours with moderate use. My curve can go for 12-24 hours, even with content encryption enabled. Plus, why does Apple make a battery that cannot be replaced? That's plain idiotic if ask any practical person. Lastly, you must be kidding if you think the keyboard on other phones can compete with a Blackberry. I have tried many phones with a qwerty keyboard, and so far, none has matched the speed, preciseness and professional feel of my Blackberry.

$14.8 billion market cap, 2 billion in cash, no debt and expanding profits internationally. Economics 101 defines this is growth, so what financial state are you complaining about? You should join the likes of Bernie Madoff if you are playing around with the numbers.

Also, one other factor regarding economics is the market. What market does Apple and Android cater to? Consumers. What market does RIM cater to? The enterprise/business users. Different markets equate to different needs/wants.

Lastly, seeing your comment,"Im also willing to bet that they lose money every time Bolds are sold, considering the build quality they get.." just made me laugh HARD. You may want to reexamine your comments if you want me to take you seriously, otherwise, my only assumption on you is just another fanatical and insecure fanboy.
    yes its JUST an LED....and name calling is not necessary. Im not a fanboy...Ive owned SEVERAL phones on several carriers with several OSs. SO chill

Ill give them this. but its not THAT much more secure as long as one does not just add every app from the respective market

EVERY OS has periodic problems including BB. There are just as many BB bricks out there as an other OS. I semi-bricked my 9000 twice trying to update to OS 5. It has been 3 months since i bought my curve and I have to do a battery pull no less than 2x a week, the "clock" might as well be burned into my screen, and im on my 3 replacement device.

Also, I wouldnt call it a reliable OS when the version on most current devices has been EOLd in less than a year. THAT is not reliable support...But thanks for trying.

VERY subjective. We cant even agree that the 9000 vs 9700 vs 85xx/93xx vs 8900 vs 9800 has the best keyboard. Also, I type just as fast on my iPhone as I do on my curve

yea Apple is pretty stupid for that

My iPhone (when im not using because im waiting on yet another replacement curve) sits in my room with a constant wifi connection and gets my email at just about the same time as my curve, renders html email the FIRST TIME, and allows me to select any and every link and piece of text on said html emails. The latter two BB does not do.

now youre just making stuff up. If you would have said Android instead of Apple......i still would call BS...but the one thing iPhones handle well is battery life. My OG iPhone has last me the last day and a half. I do twice as much on it as on my Curve because Safari doesnt crash every time i try to load a web page larger than a throwing pebble (figurative measurement obviously).

Seriously....the keyboard "feels professional"?? What?!?!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Im not gonna lie to you and say BB keyboards are beastly. The 9000 keyboard is my fav of all time. but phones like the G2 have seriously awesome keyboards. Swype is REALLY awesome. Dont knock it till ya try it man.

Im talking about the financial state where they are laying off employees. Have investors and shareholders that are dropping them altogether....have employees pissed off.....that financial state.

Also, there are many businesses out there that are also picking up Apple devices. Also there are many consumers that have picked BBs in the past. Im saying that RIM would be smart to encroach upon Apple and Androids markets the same way that those entities are encroaching upon its own target market. Competition....

Lastly, my comment was very serious albeit not based on a hard fact Bolds are well built devices. And im not bothered by you taking me serious....And again name calling is both prohibited and unnecessary.
    Last edited by gunderscorewil; 07-09-11 at 05:17 PM.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-09-11 05:15 PM
    BD, I humbly regard you as one of the smartest, quickest and most level headed people on the forum and an ESSENTIAL balance in favour of BB.

Not trying to set you up, but I reckon for some folks telling them to leave BB is like telling a depressed fan to support Man Utd instead of his losing team when he is angry for them to do better.

I am beginning to think that much of the negativity on here is from folks who haven't even reached the point of being disenfranchised but are disenchanted, upset because their team appears to be going down without a fight.

I recall from your posts that you are not English, ergo you will not know the harrowing disappointment we are subjected to every two years in the Euro and World cup. England invented football, have the players, the talent, the money, the fans, but just can't drag their asses out of the mire. RIM (flinch, hate that word) invented the smart phone, have the brains, have the means, have the money etc...

I know the pain!
    RIM did not invent the smartphone. Nokia and Palm led that push.
    07-09-11 05:17 PM
    I'd like to add that I am a firm beleiver in "less is more" way of life, I gave up my 1100cc V4 motorcycle for a 700cc Smart car lol, doing 140 mph is great but only got to do it once in Germany, speed limit is 70mph here after all.

Very noble, but you live in NI, if it's anything like the rest of the UK then the speed limit is a suggested minimum speed

But seriously I can see the point of a slower more efficient vehicle to save the planet but I personally feel the performance of the BB platform is unnecessarily ********, I don't feel for one moment that the current situation is a deliberate move by BB to offer the consumer a different choice.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-09-11 05:20 PM
    So I should stop using a blackberry because one day Rim might not exist anymore? OK, maybe I should stop driving a car too.

im not sure you can read.....i said that "telling people 'ZOMG!! just dont buy BB...If you dont like them then just give up!' is not useful because if we all just stop buying them they wont make any money and they wont exist." You should want for RIM to keep more customers......for your own selfish reasons.....
    07-09-11 05:22 PM
    re: iPhone4 battery, my continuing anecdotal evidence shows it's battery cannot keep up with a Bold, e.g. camping weekenders with friends, long days out, never seen an iP4 outlast a Bold.

Edit: or even match it.
    pretty good comparison on many deivces

AnandTech - HTC Sensation 4G Review - A Sensational Smartphone
    gunderscorewil likes this.
    07-09-11 05:24 PM
    RIM did not invent the smartphone. Nokia and Palm led that push.
    Thanks KB I stand corrected, but the sentiment remains the same, RIM were certainly early pioneers and unassailable, as were the British our their football, that was the point I was trying to make, not trying to suggest that RIM should bathe in the glory of inventing the smart phone.

Poetic license eh? Just gets me into trouble these days
    07-09-11 05:24 PM
    You tell'em Thachoc1,,...!!!
    I love the ones who like to take their phones apart and break them and then post about it.
    LMAO
    Thachoc1 likes this.
    07-09-11 05:27 PM
    Thanks KB I stand corrected, but the sentiment remains the same, RIM were certainly early pioneers and unassailable, as were the British our their football, that was the point I was trying to make, not trying to suggest that RIM should bathe in the glory of inventing the smart phone.

Poetic license eh? Just gets me into trouble these days
    Blackberry really seemed to help shape smartphones from early 200x until the iphone came out in 07. But since they just never made the turn they need to keep up with the consumer smartphone market
    K Bear and Appleluver23 like this.
    07-09-11 05:30 PM
    Cool link HM, interesting to see the high performers, cheers. Certainly half of the ip4 is battery and it is no slouch, but are not these comparisons done in a stable environment? When you are out 'n' about and moving in an out of service and the phone is searching for it from time to time, that seems to hammer the ip4 pretty hard.

Pretty much all of my close mates have got the ip4 but I'm sure they'd all agree battery in real life cannot match a Bold by a noticeable margin.

That said I do not dispute and am impressed by the lab findings on the ip4 battery.
    07-09-11 05:33 PM
    Cool link HM, interesting to see the high performers, cheers. Certainly half of the ip4 is battery and it is no slouch, but are not these comparisons done in a stable environment? When you are out 'n' about and moving in an out of service and the phone is searching for it from time to time, that seems to hammer the ip4 pretty hard.

Pretty much all of my close mates have got the ip4 but I'm sure they'd all agree battery in real life cannot match a Bold by a noticeable margin.

That said I do not dispute and am impressed by the lab findings on the ip4 battery.
    it might not be as good as a bold but its not 4-6 hours either. My thunderbolt is much better than that even.
    07-09-11 05:38 PM
    RIM had a huge consumer boost with the 81xx, 83xx, 8900, & 9000 devices. Everything after that has been a failure of epic proportions.
    07-09-11 05:39 PM
    it might not be as good as a bold but its not 4-6 hours either. My thunderbolt is much better than that even.
    I agree with that. Thanks heavens the liked of you and I are here to thrash out the middle ground
    MB2 likes this.
    07-09-11 05:40 PM
    ^^^This^^^....And my 9000 cant make it though a day unless I dont touch.

Also, the weak point for BB devices seems to be the simple task of phone. In real-world atlanta my Curve gives me maybe 2.75 hours of continuous talk-time. OG iPhone gives me maybe a little less than that but with a battery thats +/- 3 years old
    07-09-11 05:43 PM
    The arguments are so intense they're now in rainbow-vision. :P
    K Bear and gunderscorewil like this.
    07-09-11 05:44 PM
    RIM had a huge consumer boost with the 81xx, 83xx, 8900, & 9000 devices. Everything after that has been a failure of epic proportions.
    I was a little late to the party but my googlings told me that the 9700 was the high-watermark...at the time when it came out against the iPhone 3 it was not found wanting, or so I felt.

9780, Torch, not failures on an epic scale but certainly a underwhelming compared with the other guys.

KB do you think the 9900 can win some good will back?
    07-09-11 05:45 PM
    Yo Michelle I wanged to thank you for your volley of awesome blog yesterday but did not know if you would see it in the comments, so cheers PhishGrrl!
    Michelle Haag likes this.
    07-09-11 05:47 PM
    I was a little late to the party but my googlings told me that the 9700 was the high-watermark...at the time when it came out against the iPhone 3 it was not found wanting, or so I felt.

9780, Torch, not failures on an epic scale but certainly a underwhelming compared with the other guys.

i personally dont see the 9900 winning people back. If they had a storm type device running dual cores and QNX right now i would purchase it immediately off contract for a test drive. With the truncation of emails going away they have fixed another huge gripe i had. Those type of moves are big in the consumer world
    07-09-11 05:49 PM
    ^^^This^^^....And my 9000 cant make it though a day unless I dont touch.

Also, the weak point for BB devices seems to be the simple task of phone. In real-world atlanta my Curve gives me maybe 2.75 hours of continuous talk-time. OG iPhone gives me maybe a little less than that but with a battery thats +/- 3 years old
    Bruvver you make a very compelling argument when you don't sensationalise; I really enjoyed your earlier posts in this thread, more of the same quality please?
    07-09-11 05:50 PM
    And you're basing that on what? Certainly not sales.

07-09-11 05:50 PM
    im just all about organization lol
    K Bear likes this.
    07-09-11 05:54 PM

I hope. I really wanted the 9900 last summer. It would have been extremely competitive against Android. The 9900 is what the 97xx should have been, truly Bold. Now, a year later, I'm not as positive about it. I can see this device hurting HP/WebOS further, but if Apple keeps becoming more business friendly and Ice Cream Sandwich can unify Android device and the 9900 isn't compatible with QNX, I can't place a full vote of confidence behind it.
    dodger_moore and Appleluver23 like this.
    07-09-11 05:54 PM
    i personally dont see the 9900 winning people back. If they had a storm type device running dual cores and QNX right now i would purchase it immediately off contract for a test drive. With the truncation of emails going away they have fixed another huge gripe i had. Those type of moves are big in the consumer world
    Yes, that truncation issue is well overdue, so happy to read of the fix.

So basically the PB in a phone? Yep, I reckon that would set the world on fire. Would also be overkill for my and I think most peoples requirements, but it is important to have a flagship and that is lacking right now.
    07-09-11 05:56 PM
116 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD