Use the phone for something productive like writing a book then transition to a non tech alternative like a typewriter or pen and paper.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-18 10:19 AM
    Yeah, the Classic's battery life is MUCH less tempting than the KEYone's

Know what else it doesn't have ? A reliable up-to-date browser, a fast and supported navigation app, and many other very useful non-distraction apps won't work due to 1:1 aspect ratio or the 4.3 runtime, or just because the Classic is a damn slow phone for just about anything other than the core built-in stock stuff.

To each their own, the Classic is less distracting and does have a very comfortable feel in the hand with the compact form factor, but it's just extremely limited in what it can do as a smartphone.

In the mobile devices spectrum, I place it right in the middle between dumb feature phones and modern smartphones.

When 2020 comes around, it'll stray even closer to the feature phone end of the spectrum than the smartphone one.

I owned several Classics, it was good for its time, but it's hard to do with it now unless you're double carrying.
    Lol. Some people like to stick to what they knew and loved.

You'd be shocked at how many are still trying to push on with Symbian phones. Quite a lot of people still trying to keep their Nokia 808 PureView going due to its incredible camera and their love for the simpler Symbian interface.

I cannot imagine using a device that is slow and doesn't even provide reliable mapping services.
    10-21-18 11:54 AM
    Lol. Some people like to stick to what they knew and loved.

You'd be shocked at how many are still trying to push on with Symbian phones. Quite a lot of people still trying to keep their Nokia 808 PureView going due to its incredible camera and their love for the simpler Symbian interface.

I cannot imagine using a device that is slow and doesn't even provide reliable mapping services.
    Well, I'm sure most of them double carry anyway. If you have a modern Android/iOS phone in one pocket, it's easier to get by with the outdated OS phones in the other.
    10-21-18 12:33 PM
    And this thread is on... Crackberry

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    10-21-18 12:43 PM
    Getting rid of the keyone..not exactly pleased with it..going with probably iPhone 8.
    10-21-18 03:35 PM
    I understand the premise of the original post. If one is older or middle aged like myself we know and realize life existed prior to smart phones being a part of our lives. We coexisted and went out our business, with arguably, less distractions and healthier interpersonal relationships. Sure there are benefits but the majority of what any person needs a device for are handled with text, email, calls, calendar. Game apps, social media, etc are just time fillers or wasting for entertainment. It trips me out that younger individuals use or watch TV and or Movies on a 5-6 inch screen when we have the likes of 65 inch beautiful flat panel TV's. The other day my wife and I went out to lunch and decided to dine outside. There were two other groups of people, it was beautiful and we all were enjoying the atmosphere and conversation. Out comes out @ 30 year old guy and sits down and starts blaring sports center. It was rude as hell and honestly mind boggling. I sat there for about 3-4 minutes in disbelief. I politely asked the rude mother f'er if he had ear phones. You would have thought I spit in his food. He shook his head got up and left. The other patrons thanked me for asking him. It is situations like this and so many others I witness that make me wonder if we all really are better off in a mobile world. Tim Cook, Google, ex Facebook employees, etc have been speaking out about the detrimental effects of this lifestyle we all have bought into and choose to embrace. Has it made us, collectively as a society better friends, colleagues and people? I have my doubts.

Via the Cobalt Classic
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    10-21-18 05:36 PM
    I understand the premise of the original post. If one is older or middle aged like myself we know and realize life existed prior to smart phones being a part of our lives. We coexisted and went out our business, with arguably, less distractions and healthier interpersonal relationships. Sure there are benefits but the majority of what any person needs a device for are handled with text, email, calls, calendar. Game apps, social media, etc are just time fillers or wasting for entertainment. It trips me out that younger individuals use or watch TV and or Movies on a 5-6 inch screen when we have the likes of 65 inch beautiful flat panel TV's. The other day my wife and I went out to lunch and decided to dine outside. There were two other groups of people, it was beautiful and we all were enjoying the atmosphere and conversation. Out comes out @ 30 year old guy and sits down and starts blaring sports center. It was rude as hell and honestly mind boggling. I sat there for about 3-4 minutes in disbelief. I politely asked the rude mother f'er if he had ear phones. You would have thought I spit in his food. He shook his head got up and left. The other patrons thanked me for asking him. It is situations like this and so many others I witness that make me wonder if we all really are better off in a mobile world. Tim Cook, Google, ex Facebook employees, etc have been speaking out about the detrimental effects of this lifestyle we all have bought into and choose to embrace. Has it made us, collectively as a society better friends, colleagues and people? I have my doubts.

Via the Cobalt Classic
    None of this has anything to do with personal responsibility and restraint.
    10-21-18 05:42 PM
    How much control do most people really have? Do you observe society as a whole and their usage of these devices? How much restraint and responsibilities are individual and how much is it the creators of devices and apps? Do you think the ex Facebook, Google and other executives are incorrect in their fears?

Via the Cobalt Classic
    10-21-18 05:58 PM
    How much control do most people really have? Do you observe society as a whole and their usage of these devices? How much restraint and responsibilities are individual and how much is it the creators of devices and apps? Do you think the ex Facebook, Google and other executives are incorrect in their fears?

Via the Cobalt Classic
    The OP is worried about himself - not society at large.

To me, this is the same as setting your alarm clock ahead 10 minutes thinking you have 10 extra minutes to sleep.
    10-21-18 06:41 PM
    Fortunately, when a phone just doesn't seem to waste enough of your time, there are always sites like these to fill up the hours. 😂
    10-21-18 06:49 PM
    I am so sick of this Smartphone wasting my time, I switch between IOS and Android trying to find a device that works for me. I certainty have wasted lots of $$ in phones. I just got a Key2 LE, I was drawn to it as I sense Blackberry's philosophy is on productivity and not so much on using your device as entertainment. I like the idea that the phone is a communication device, PIM and has android to do certain things. But am still wondering if BB android will still just be another distraction device like the iphone XS I have right now and considering if to return or not.

Would like to hear from you.
    Get BB10 phone. No apps. problem solved.
    Otherwise. Delete your social media apps and deal with your phone addiction.
    Last edited by bitek; 10-23-18 at 07:21 AM.
    10-23-18 04:21 AM
    Even people who aren't "addicted" to their phones are likely sacrificing a lot of quality quiet time to them. Calm time when the brain is semi-active and the parasympathetic nervous system is dominant is important for a strong sense of self, mental health, creativity and drive. A lot of mobile users are filling up their opportunities to be "bored" with their phones.

It's a short term stimulant with negative impacts over the medium and longer term.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    bh7171, the_boon and eiruvrav like this.
    10-23-18 08:26 AM
    Even people who aren't "addicted" to their phones are likely sacrificing a lot of quality quiet time to them. Calm time when the brain is semi-active and the parasympathetic nervous system is dominant is important for a strong sense of self, mental health, creativity and drive. A lot of mobile users are filling up their opportunities to be "bored" with their phones.

It's a short term stimulant with negative impacts over the medium and longer term.

Apple and Google have unleashed a beast
    10-23-18 09:11 AM
    Use the phone for something productive like writing a book then transition to a non tech alternative like a typewriter or pen and paper.

Posted via CB10
    Anyone remember that book that was written on a BlackBerry? Bold I believe.

https://crackberry.com/zombie-horror...michaluk-virus
    10-29-18 03:28 PM
    Anyone remember that book that was written on a BlackBerry? Bold I believe.

https://crackberry.com/zombie-horror...michaluk-virus
    "Remember that book that was written on a slab of glass?" ......

..... said no one ever, and wrote no one ever

Sorry I just had to lol
    10-29-18 03:35 PM

Again, the irony of reading this post about other phones being "addictive" on a website named for the (formerly) addictive nature of BB phones.
    pkcable likes this.
    10-29-18 04:16 PM
    I think that my iPhone was causing me to be more connected on it due to group messages and getting notified about everything

With my note 9, I have the same apps but multimedia in texts aren't the same. I have also disabled notifications from Facebook and Instagram and stuck to waiting to see what was there when I checked the apps
    pkcable likes this.
    10-29-18 04:24 PM
    Don’t do group messages, delete your FaceBook app and turn off notifications. You can do that on an iPhone or Android phone. The issue is priorities and willpower, not technology.
    10-31-18 09:12 AM
    By the way, I put my eyes on Classic probably 5/6h a day at least. (profissional use), and now I'm trying to reduce it. so it's not an OS problem, but user.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-18 03:47 AM
    By the way, I put my eyes on Classic probably 5/6h a day at least. (profissional use), and now I'm trying to reduce it. so it's not an OS problem, but user.

Posted via CB10
    I couldn't put 5-6h on a Classic if I tried!

Hint: battery life
    11-05-18 05:53 AM
70 123