A while back when I was at work, a colleague saw me using my Curve. As he put his iphone down, he said something that I thought I'd never hear. He wanted an older phone like I had because he was sick of being so super-connected all the time, that it was too easy to get on his Iphone and "distracted himself". At the time I didn't think much of it because I was tired of the limitations of my Curve and was an avid user of social media (facebook, twitter, etc..)

Now a year or so later I understand what he ment I've recently stopped using all my social media(except Crackberry, what can I say I love my berries and only use my twitter to follow a few journalists and other such people. On the whole I got sick of constantly being bombarded with information 24/7, most of which being truly unimportant to me, and also the ease of distracting myself from the going abouts of each day. This was when I made a switch from my Z10 to a q10. In many ways to make it inconvenient to watch Youtube videos, surf pintrest and tumblr on my phone because I still wanted a capable modern device but just on that made it inconvenient enough that I wouldn't want to use it for extensive internet trawling.

The main reason for posting, is today I read a comment about BlackBerry building a smartwatch that echoed how my co-worker and myself feel "I don't need another device to keep me super-connected, as it is I'm sick of the phone I have". So it left me wondering if this is something that many people are experiencing, a disillusionment with the internet culture of super-connectedness.

Chime in below I'm interested to hear how the community feels on this.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 10:47 AM
    There are definitely days when I wish I wasn't so super-connected as well. Those days are fewer than the ones where I crave the connections but still, I can see where you are coming from. i have been ill lately and to tell you the truth, I could really care less what is happening on Twitter or even these forums for a few days.
    09-25-14 10:56 AM
    Guess you gotta treat your addiction somehow. I am always CB10ing, several times a day! This has to stop. Guess there could be worse things. Like not having a data plan

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.1052
    09-25-14 11:01 AM
    I feel you. I like digital but I don't let it run my life. Sometimes, I totally disconnect by turning my phone off...like if I'm out with family or on a date night with the wife. I know that some people want to capture EVERYTHING and share it with the world, but I'm the opposite. Instead of sharing the moment, I cherish it. This digital age sometimes takes away those special, sacred, or intimate moments.
    09-25-14 11:01 AM
    I think it's called digital fatigue or smartphone fatigue, it will get all of us sooner or later.

I took on traditional film photography as an escape for example, my wife's department (government employees) are refusing work phones while others are asking for iPhones etc

There's a point where we'll all draw the line and start to see the negative side of digital life.
    09-25-14 11:02 AM
    Yeah,.. I wish I would get locked out of my phone during certain stretches of time during the day. I've tried leaving it in another room, but that doesn't last very long.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:09 AM
    I never ever feel better than when I go on holiday's and turn off all my devices. It never use to be this way. I use to go on holiday's and purchase the biggest data roaming package around, but then I realize how all this info on my phone that I was constantly receiving, was useless info and that I don't need to be super-connect all the time and it would ruin my holiday always checking my phone. I've really minimized all my social networking on my phone cause it was a time waister(for me) and mostly now only use it for the necessities in my life, communication(calls, txt, email, BBM, web browsing).
    09-25-14 11:10 AM
    I find as long as its quality digital info and not quantity, all is ok. Problem is its not that easy to subscribe to a specific subject matter that doesn't contain lots of crap in between.

I'm not on any social fad site like facebook, linkedin, twitter, snapshot, instagram, etc, etc. Who needs that?

Want to stay in touch with someone, call them or email them. Its much more sincere than mass sending a picture of your lunch to people.
    09-28-14 09:42 PM
    I can't agree more
    09-28-14 11:11 PM
    I'm on CB like 5 6 times a day I don't really ever use any my social media apps and I have them all on my z30

Posted via Z30 from the sunny Okanagan
    09-28-14 11:43 PM
    There are times that I forget my phone sometimes. When I don't have it with me, I feel lost. I'm not on my phone all the time, but I do like having it just in case. Maybe I'm not on it as much as what is being talked about, but I feel like I have to have it with me because I feel like I'm missing something when I don't.
    09-29-14 12:11 AM
    Yes. This is why I love the hub - get in and out efficiently and quickly.

Open the browser for some info, a little YouTube and Maps for the car.

I dig how Blackberry seems to enhance my life rather than pushing me deeper into the digital world.

But the funny thing is I feel I get more done by simply using the device when needed or if an important message comes through.

Happier with Blackberry. Better balance managing digital and non digital life.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 12:14 AM
    Lately I've felt like that myself, what I do is to turn off data when I'm not at home so I don't waste my time on the phone.

That way I'll only accept phone calls and SMS which Is what people use with me whenever they really need to get in contact with me.

Although, I get anxious if I don't have the option to be connected.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 12:33 AM
    I quite like the idea of being connected. When you go fishing or off roading, you leave your toys behind.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    09-29-14 12:34 AM