I've been debating between the 9180 and the 9900 for a bit. Not sure I'm happy with a slider and scrunched keypad, not sure I'm happy with the troubles I'm hearing about the 9900.

I went into the ATT store the other night, and the fellow there recommended I wait 2 or 3 months (close to 3), since he figured that the Bold would be coming out soon in an LTE version.

I'm not one to change phones a lot (heck, I'm still using my 8310!), so I'm still stuck, not knowing what to do.

This really should not be this difficult of a decision. Should I really be worried about getting a problematic Bold? I'm a bit nervous now...

Also, by the time the LTE network really expands, won't it be another couple years for most cities anyway?
    11-24-11 09:46 PM
    IF you like your 8310 Keep it, wait till price drops on the 9900/9810, or heck even the 9360

You'll see I have many very loving things to say about the 83XX series from RIM,

I love my 9900, and have had no issues, was glad to get away from the sliding form factor of my 9800, great phone, but the form factor just wasn't for me.

as for LTE, with the development "arms race" to get LTE going I think the US will see a quicker adoption rate than we saw with HSPA
    11-24-11 09:55 PM
    You'll see I have many very loving things to say about the 83XX series from RIM, ....
    I was just reading the other thread (starting here: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ml#post6875776 and continuing to the next page)

I've dropped the 8310 one time too many, my space bar seems to be dying, but I think maybe I'll just hold tight for a bit longer. I'm a bit concerned that ATT might pull their commitment to allow us to keep our unlimited data plans, but several months hopefully won't make a difference.

I really like my 8310 - sad to see that the don't have an updated version of it!
    11-24-11 10:04 PM
    Could you get a cheap 9100, lovely little phone and nice upgrade, could tide you over for a nice while
    11-25-11 06:14 AM
    Yea 9100 is a beauty in its own ways and has OS 6! Still recommend the OS 7 devices cause OS 6 is leaning towards demise soon..........

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-11 06:28 AM
    Yea 9100 is a beauty in its own ways and has OS 6! Still recommend the OS 7 devices cause OS 6 is leaning towards demise soon..........

To a point I completely agree with you, but as the OP is still using an 8310 (& still likes it), and if he can get a 'cheap' 9100 I think he'd love it, at least he'd give himself time to figure out which way to jump and at the same time have a nice modern smartphone to use
    11-25-11 06:35 AM

For my Stocks I agree he should buy an OS7 device.

BUT seeing as he still likes his 8310, and is replacing it due to damage, my giving the best answer hat must be on, not my investor hat.

and the Best answer is to HOLD his 8310, or Purchase a low cost BlackBerry running OS5 or OS6, and waiting it out a year or 2, He doesn't want to lose his unlimited plan, so maybe he doesn't buy a device on contract for a long while, and sticks to buying 1 generation back, if you don't need cutting edge, why pay for it?

BBOS7 is also on it's last legs, as much as OS6, BBX is what to invest in for the long term life of your next full price device
    11-25-11 07:24 AM
    While I suggest as many others here OS7 as I have stated in another thread here today there are way to many threads here expecting us to tell them whatto buy instead of what is good for them and to go and play with them in the store to decide on form factor and such. Then go to RIM.com and compare all the different devices side by side and see what you like but you are and everyoneelse are going to get to many varying opinions from people on it and it will confuse, not help IMHO.
    11-25-11 06:05 PM
    I have both the 9810 and the 9900 and I have to say that I miss the larger screen much of the time. Please note that I have long skinny fingers, as such, the smaller keyboard really doesn't bother me. That said, I find myself liking the 9900 (now with OS 7.1!) more every day, it's almost too easy to type on, it's a pretty big, yet thin unit. Never had a nuke, a brick, or a random restart with either phone.

As I read this, it seems I have only muddied the waters even more for myself and others.

You're welcome.
    11-25-11 06:52 PM
    I think the main problem is that the Bold would be perfect......except I"m disappointed in what I'm hearing about the camera focus, and I'm worried I'm going to get one of these Bolds with brick or nuke problems. I shouldn't have to worry about those things....I should be able to just buy with the phone that I think would be the best for me, without such serious reservations. I think people are confused on what to buy because of what they are hearing....

I guess I was ready to buy the Torch (fickle I know), until I went to the store and saw the Bold. With the reservations about what I'm hearing about the 9900, and then on top of that, the ATT guy telling me my best bet is to wait a couple of months before the LTE version probably comes out, I'm just putting way to much effort into this decision

LOL, maybe if the Bold was in red, like my curve, I wouldn't care and would just have bought it anyway

I will go back to the store and play with them some more, and listen for which one calls to me
    Last edited by HershL; 11-25-11 at 09:37 PM.
    11-25-11 09:35 PM
    ....As I read this, it seems I have only muddied the waters even more for myself and others.

You're welcome.
    LOL, yes you have!
    11-25-11 09:36 PM
    Here's my 3 cents. I tried the 9900 at Costco and I MUST have this phone as soon as possible. Give that keyboard a try, you'll see what I mean. Right now, you can't do better. Ah-mazing IMHO.

Edit: Ok, I read your last post: you've tried the Bold.

Why not just spring for a replacement plan? Nuke problem solved. If not; well I do own a 9800 Torch and wouldn't steer you away from the 9810 form factor but-the Bold has a much nicer keypad.
    Last edited by Lead_Express; 11-25-11 at 10:45 PM.
    11-25-11 10:43 PM
    as an Aside I have had NO issues with my Bold 9900 camera, I know it's limitations, and don't take pictures of business cards any more, I save them till I get home and use my CardScan again. but the bulk of things I take pictures off the 9900 has been great, especially action shots, since the shutter time is almost non existent.

And knock on wood, no nuke/brick yet, and if you look at the 9900 forum there is a list of nuke/bricked devices vs non nuked bricked, it isn't that high of percent really
    11-26-11 12:00 AM
    Yeah the camera is an interesting thing for me. First it is perfectly fine for 99% of what most will shoot. Things to post on Facebook and such. Where is gets interesting is close up stuff, small text etc. I find that using the Text scene mode and shooting pretty far back/then zoom in is acceptable. But the results are not consistent for me. It just seems harder to take close up sharp shots of text than with my old Tour that had AF.

But not something that would make me not choose the Bold.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-26-11 12:09 AM
    Thanks for talking me through this....the keyboard is my top priority because I do a lot of emailing and typing on the phone, probably the reason I've been able to stick with the 8310 this long.

This LTE comment by the guy in the store, about a new version of the 9900 coming out in the next several months, do ya'll think it's a red herring? Seems to me, you wait 2 months for something new, and that quickly turns into 4 or more months?
    11-26-11 12:24 AM
    Yeah the camera is an interesting thing for me. First it is perfectly fine for 99% of what most will shoot. Things to post on Facebook and such. Where is gets interesting is close up stuff, small text etc. I find that using the Text scene mode and shooting pretty far back/then zoom in is acceptable. But the results are not consistent for me. It just seems harder to take close up sharp shots of text than with my old Tour that had AF.

But not something that would make me not choose the Bold.
    This helps. I was just watching a video comparison somewhere, and the person noted that the real difference really shows up in close-ups. It will be nice to not have the shutter lag. And currently, I still have a 2 MP camera (I think), so there's a good chance I won't notice too much?
    11-26-11 12:29 AM
    I have the 9800. If you would use the keyboard a lot don't get the 9810.

I want a good camera in my phone. I would choose the 9810. I don't use the keyboard a lot.

If you think LTE is coming in a few months and it's something you want, I would wait.

Don't let the fear of bricking hold you back, be Bold
    11-26-11 12:57 AM
    Don't let the fear of bricking hold you back, be Bold

Well, I did it, ordered the Bold, in-store at Costco, $49.99, my plan extended (unlimited data and 200 texts), easy!

Now I have to wait until it gets here (they didn't have it in stock), and hope there are no problems!

Thanks everyone
    11-26-11 04:21 PM

Well, I did it, ordered the Bold, in-store at Costco, $49.99, my plan extended (unlimited data and 200 texts), easy!

Now I have to wait until it gets here (they didn't have it in stock), and hope there are no problems!

Thanks everyone
    Congratulations!!

It is a fantastic phone!
    11-26-11 05:36 PM
    If you have the cash now go for the 9900. Some say white 9900s are not problematic lol. You kight wanna think about it.
    You never know, dont trust an AT&T guy. Many say 99xx can come in the following months which has autofocus, bigger battery and LTE etc. But i dont think so, RIM is focusing towards QNX os 2.0 and BBX. They wont be spending time with 99xx, its the ultimate bb to date and people who want a bold buy it no matter what. And now more bb 7 devices are out such as 9790 and 9380, I really dont think 99xx will be their focus.
    11-26-11 06:34 PM
    Thanks, I'm very excited!!

Already looking into a few apps - I had my curve pretty streamlined, but now I'm going to live it up, lol!
    11-26-11 07:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD