03-02-14 09:12 AM
62 123
tools
    Now, after all major companies showed off their 2014 flagships, don't you think BlackBerry should push their next high-end device harder?

I know Z30 was released not so long ago. And I love it dearly. But in order to keep up the pace isn't it the best for company to release an updated version of Z30 with plumped specs? I adore the design of Z30, the ergonomics, materials, even the widely hated silver chin (frankly, I think it's kind of sexy! lol). All I would love to see is as follows: 5" or 5,2" (which seems to become a new trend) Full HD screen, Quad-Core CPU, 3GB of RAM, Adreno 330 graphics, slightly improved camera (12 megapixels would do!) and maybe a bit more of built in storage (not necessary though).

Is that too much to ask? All current flagships have those specs (except for 3GB of RAM, as zocster pointed out). So why can't we?

The BlackBerry of my dreams (so far) is a Z30 (Z40, Z50 or whatever the name is) with SONY's Xperia Z2 specs. Just keep the design of Z30. And I'm sold! I'd pay $1000 for this phone without any hesitation.

I know this thread is just another desperate attempt to specutlate on whether or not BlackBerry will make us all happy soon, and ultimately it'll lead to nothing but lots of rants and drama. But still, don't I have a right to express my pathetic fanboy emotions about beloved company. Even for the sake of ranting.

P.S.: I'm ready to take the blame for creating another useless/pointless thread and for being a blind hostage of specs hysteria, etc., etc., etc.
    Last edited by antikorr; 03-01-14 at 03:35 AM.
    03-01-14 03:12 AM
    All? Even the S5 doesn't have 3 Gb ram. Only the note 3 does so far...
    03-01-14 03:18 AM
    Okay, my bad. Not all.
    But Z2 has 3GB...
    But that's not the point.
    03-01-14 03:36 AM
    I'm holding out for the next BlackBerry flagship device as well. But for me, I'd rather prefer BlackBerry to spend the necessary time perfecting it rather than rushing it to market before it was ready for primetime. I think that just releasing a device for the sake of releasing one is no longer a luxury that BlackBerry has and for every future device, there will be a well-intentioned strategy behind it.
    03-01-14 03:49 AM
    In before the
    "Dual core does just as good of job as a quad core"
    "Our eyes cannot tell the difference between a 720p phone to a full HD 1080P display"
    "Anything higher than 8mp is just a waste, mp is just a marketing term, BlackBerry cameras are perfect. Here let me upload all the pictures I took with this phone to show you"
    "I would rather have a phone that I can use to keep moving and have good battery life, than a phone which is fast and dies quickly"

Don't worry though! Whatever BlackBerry puts out next, they will all love it! But I am with you on this one. BlackBerry seriously needs to catch up to the competition in terms of specs. A beefed up BB10 device to replace my 9900 would be perfect.
    03-01-14 03:50 AM
    Hello OP,

I don't think it'd help BlackBerry if they just release an improved Z30 with the same specs as any other phone right now, while the software stays the same.

Imagine BlackBerry comes out with a new flagship later this year (around the same time the iPhone 6 gets announced) with even better specs than the newest Android competition (that 64-bit Snapdragon 810/15 Octacore and let's say 4GB of RAM) and an even further improved version of BB10. Sony, HTC and Samsung are half way through the year by then and it'll take another 6 months for them to present their successors.
    03-01-14 04:20 AM
    Agree. That would be the perfect scenario.

But the catch is - is it even going to happen? And if so - when? So far we only heard about Q20 to be released somewhere in the end of 2014. With all due respect, Chen's announcing the new QWERTY device sounded rather sci-fi. I like how this guy handles BBRY, and I understand that BlackBerry has been a living example of breaking the promises, but even so, couldn't he be more precise? Like giving out some specs or dates. And no word on new ALL-TOUCH flagship makes it all even gloomier.

I'm not being pessimistic. I know the new devices will come eventually. I just dream that BBRY executives will say to us one day: 'Dear BlackBerry users! Thou shalt not fear! The new flagships are coming [insert the date here] and they will sport [insert the specs] you've been craving for!'.

Silly me...
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    03-01-14 04:58 AM
    This thread is on to something, in my opinion - time. Blackberry needs to be timely.

I'm not going to get into the specs thing, that was voiced perfectly, above - it is the timing. Whatever Chen will do with Blackberry it must be delivered in a timely manner, so as to be relevant (this is probably where the foxconn deal comes in). The consumer and enterprise markets have moved on and Blackberry is far too slow on responding. It is going to have to be lean and fast to get something out. And yes, people say the specs are enough blah blah. Blah - blackberry is not selling well by any metric. Adding some glamour must surely help. It needs to stand out, quoting tools not toys ir whatever is not going to work and hasn't worked. Maybe super specs that are timely to the market might work...

I don't know. I would love a slider that can double as a blinking workstation with an EPIC battery life. I dunno, just hope they move faster than they have been and not open their mouths unless they can deliver.

Sent from Tapatalk
    antikorr, toneytone and kbz1960 like this.
    03-01-14 05:34 AM
    When are we going to realize that the next "Flagship" is ALWAYS coming up?? The minute you get a new phone the NEXT one is already in the works?? I love phones way too much.... I am rocking a Z30, Q10, GN3, iPhone 5s right now... I am not rich or crazy.. I get them for free at work.... and I am in constant turmoil on which phone to use.. This week it is the GN3 and last week the Z30... I wish I didn't get caught up the the constant hype of the NEXT big thing and just found a phone that meets my needs and stick with it..
    03-01-14 05:45 AM
    But the catch is - is it even going to happen?
    Well...ya, given BlackBerrys recent track record, I estimate the chance of the 64-bit full touch rumor for a September release coming true by 20% /
    03-01-14 05:58 AM
    Well I have read in few blogs by AK about C30 concept device...octa core, 64 bit os, 4 gb ram, 128 gb ssd, 12 mp camera....and ya it could be 5.2"

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 05:59 AM
    If everyone released a "flagship" every few months, all phones become a "flagship". Just be patient....

Don't you have anything better to spend money on besides a new "flagship" every months? Student loans? Mortgage? Car Payment?

Posted via CB10
    alternator77 likes this.
    03-01-14 06:16 AM
    Also, specs are useless. It is all based on how it used.

You can have a computer with an onto core processor, 64GB ran, 2TB SDD, etc., but using it for only Microsoft Word defeats the purpose.

The point is, it takes time to fully use hardware.

Stop being so greedy. Some people don't have a smartphone, and you demand a super-powered one...

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys and daithiD like this.
    03-01-14 06:22 AM
    With Foxconn, BlackBerry's time to market is quicker than before. The Z3 took 5 months. Maybe the length of time until the next flagship appears is being driven by waiting for the latest components to become available?

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 06:48 AM

The BlackBerry of my dreams (so far) is a Z30 (Z40, Z50 or whatever the name is) with SONY's Xperia Z2 specs. Just keep the design of Z30. And I'm sold! I'd pay $1000 for this phone without any hesitation.
    Why pay $1000 for what Sony sells for $600? The OS isn't worth a $400 premium. BlackBerry's poor sales can be attributed to selling middling hardware, with an incomplete OS, a tarnished name brand on the front if the device, and a huge app gap at the price of devices that haven't had these issues. This dates all the way back to BBOS.

While they are addressing the issues, they need to sell the devices at lower price right now to give a value add and rebuild the brand name. The Z30 isn't even easily accessible to the majority of people in their largest existing user base market, the US, and it again is middling specs at a flagship device, like the Z10, with no advertising, and like the Z10 no one is buying it (and I have a Z10).

Businesses won't spend $1000 on a phone either. You don't win back customers with overpriced hardware from a brand that is in the crapper.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 08:05 AM
    Why pay $1000 for what Sony sells for $600? The OS isn't worth a $400 premium. BlackBerry's poor sales can be attributed to selling middling hardware, with an incomplete OS, a tarnished name brand on the front if the device, and a huge app gap at the price of devices that haven't had these issues. This dates all the way back to BBOS.

While they are addressing the issues, they need to sell the devices at lower price right now to give a value add and rebuild the brand name. The Z30 isn't even easily accessible to the majority of people in their largest existing user base market, the US, and it again is middling specs at a flagship device, like the Z10, with no advertising, and like the Z10 no one is buying it (and I have a Z10).

Businesses won't spend $1000 on a phone either. You don't win back customers with overpriced hardware from a brand that is in the crapper.

Posted via CB10
    Why are you telling him what The OS is and isn't worth. It's his personal preference and sounds like someone who truly appreciates the OS uniqueness. Am I saying it's worth it? No but idk why you went on a huge rant on why he should go get a Sony... they don't run the same thing mate

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 08:29 AM
    In before the
    "Dual core does just as good of job as a quad core"
    "Our eyes cannot tell the difference between a 720p phone to a full HD 1080P display"
    "Anything higher than 8mp is just a waste, mp is just a marketing term, BlackBerry cameras are perfect. Here let me upload all the pictures I took with this phone to show you"
    "I would rather have a phone that I can use to keep moving and have good battery life, than a phone which is fast and dies quickly"

Don't worry though! Whatever BlackBerry puts out next, they will all love it! But I am with you on this one. BlackBerry seriously needs to catch up to the competition in terms of specs. A beefed up BB10 device to replace my 9900 would be perfect.
    I'm sorry but honestly there are 2 groups.... the ones who buy what they need or could improve on, and the people who buy for buying.

In North America it seems the second group is more common because it's more affordable.. in other countries, people buy phones when they really need it.

If you start basing your purchase on specs, you'll find yourself buying a new phone every month.

I'm not saying under specing is good but I don't think specs should be the main gripe rather than OS type

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 08:33 AM
    Now, after all major companies showed off their 2014 flagships, don't you think BlackBerry should push their next high-end device harder?

I know Z30 was released not so long ago. And I love it dearly. But in order to keep up the pace isn't it the best for company to release an updated version of Z30 with plumped specs? I adore the design of Z30, the ergonomics, materials, even the widely hated silver chin (frankly, I think it's kind of sexy! lol). All I would love to see is as follows: 5" or 5,2" (which seems to become a new trend) Full HD screen, Quad-Core CPU, 3GB of RAM, Adreno 330 graphics, slightly improved camera (12 megapixels would do!) and maybe a bit more of built in storage (not necessary though).

Is that too much to ask? All current flagships have those specs (except for 3GB of RAM, as zocster pointed out). So why can't we?

I know this thread is just another desperate attempt to specutlate on whether or not BlackBerry will make us all happy soon, and ultimately it'll lead to nothing but lots of rants and drama. But still, don't I have a right to express my pathetic fanboy emotions about beloved company. Even for the sake of ranting.

P.S.: I'm ready to take the blame for creating another useless/pointless thread and for being a blind hostage of specs hysteria, etc., etc., etc.
    People want apps
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    03-01-14 09:03 AM
    Before going all out on HW and a marketing blitz (hopefully), Blackberry needs to:

1. Ensure that BB10 has ALL the legacy features put back that BBOS had.
    2. Fix the app situation. If it means getting the Amazon store officially pre-installed on their phones, then so be it.

There is absolutely no point in launching a phone with top of the line HW and marketing the heck out of it if the OS and App side of things are not 'there' yet. They would be better off selling mid range spec'd phones at very aggressive pricing as a means to win market share back. With that said, Blackberry is currently committing the worst mistake of all; middle of the road HW, coupled with an OS an app situation that is not ready, all for a premium price.
    03-01-14 09:09 AM
    Why are you telling him what The OS is and isn't worth. It's his personal preference and sounds like someone who truly appreciates the OS uniqueness. Am I saying it's worth it? No but idk why you went on a huge rant on why he should go get a Sony... they don't run the same thing mate

Posted via CB10
    Because it is this type of delusional thinking, up in Waterloo especially, that has BlackBerry in the position it is in now. BlackBerry doesn't need any advice that tells or implies people will pay more for devices than the competition if they match specs, because a dwindling handful will do this, and many more will just switch to something else.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 09:23 AM
    Sad but unfortunately true. 1000 for a phone is crazy expensive anyway.

Sent from Tapatalk
    03-01-14 09:27 AM
    I'm sorry but honestly there are 2 groups.... the ones who buy what they need or could improve on, and the people who buy for buying.

In North America it seems the second group is more common because it's more affordable.. in other countries, people buy phones when they really need it.

If you start basing your purchase on specs, you'll find yourself buying a new phone every month.

I'm not saying under specing is good but I don't think specs should be the main gripe rather than OS type

Posted via CB10
    The North American market wants value for their money. They look at Apple and know they are getting the best support, best ecosystem and apps, and a premium brand perception. They look at Samsung and see a big screen, high end specs, and a nearly comparable ecosystem to Apple and think they are getting more for their money. They see BlackBerry and what do you get? Most don't know about Android support in BlackBerry, or will go through side loading to put on SNAP, or know that they can load the Amazon APK. Even with that some things won't run good or at all.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 09:30 AM
    Don't worry though! Whatever BlackBerry puts out next, they will all love it!
    Are you having a "you people" moment?

I've said many of the comments you listed here, though I tend to qualify a bit more than you have. I'm a firm believer that specs need to be good enough that the device is performant and that the device can run apps that are popular. My Torch 9800 and my 4th gen iPod Touch were examples of devices that were weak in certain specs and out of the box or during their lifetime had trouble being snappy or running certain apps.

Still, I always remain amused by the people who complain about specs and the need for them, yet really can't produce much in the way of examples of how they are inhibited, what apps they can't run because of spec limitations. For a lot of people, it's all about bragging rights and not actual utility.

I've given the example before of my Uncle. Brags on and on and on about the megapixels on his camera phone. Never prints the photos he takes in any size. Hardly uses the zoom. And he posts the photos to Facebook as an output. Yet, he's convinced he needs some super high megapixel camera when he doesn't.

On the other hand, I had an old girlfriend who's dad was a huge photography enthusiast. He got a Lumia specifically because he wanted more oomph from a camera phone. He did zoom, he did print large print outs etc. He had a utility for a camera like that, my Uncle doesn't.

I would like to amend one of my previous comments, specifcally about the need for a higher resolution screen. In many cases, I still would rather see the money spent on something of more use to me (ie. increase my storage space for apps and media) than bumping the screen from 720 to 1080p. My eyesight isn't super and I often don't see much of a difference in 720p and 1080p even on tv content, let alone little screens. Certainly not enough to make me want that over more storage.

However, I am more swayed into seeing the practical purposes. I recently had to do a webex on my Kindle Fire HDX. In that circumstance, the high resolution of the Kindle screen worked really well at clearly showing me a full desktop view in a legible form, despite the 7" screen. Before that point, "retina displays", "1080p on mobile" and the like offered me very little benefit. I'm more sold now.
    03-01-14 09:41 AM
    Because it is this type of delusional thinking, up in Waterloo especially, that has BlackBerry in the position it is in now. BlackBerry doesn't need any advice that tells or implies people will pay more for devices than the competition if they match specs, because a dwindling handful will do this, and many more will just switch to something else.

Posted via CB10
    You hear yourself? You are telling him he's delusional for saying I'd pay a certain amount for a product that I think is worth it. Again it's personal preference and your choice of words reflects foolishness

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 10:01 AM
    The North American market wants value for their money. They look at Apple and know they are getting the best support, best ecosystem and apps, and a premium brand perception. They look at Samsung and see a big screen, high end specs, and a nearly comparable ecosystem to Apple and think they are getting more for their money. They see BlackBerry and what do you get? Most don't know about Android support in BlackBerry, or will go through side loading to put on SNAP, or know that they can load the Amazon APK. Even with that some things won't run good or at all.

Posted via CB10
    Still not sure what "ecosystems " mean in this case... do they have to pay for those other things? Iphones don't come with ipods and apple tv now do they?
    Lol premium brand perception.. yea good one.

Big screen.. seriously? High end specs? Again only android fanboys actually give much of a damn about specs. The apple users care very little. You still fail to address my point which is.. a "super spec" phone is only as good until it's next rival release.

When was the last time you did something with your phone that only a 1080p octa core can do?

People thinking they are getting the best value for their money is different from people actually getting the best value for their money

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 10:09 AM
62 123