NO, and YES at the same time

RIM doesn't need to make consumer desktops and shouldn't the margins are low, and it is competitive.

What RIM SHOULD do is Make the PlayBook in 17" and 21" sizes. with a docking station for a Keyboard, and a bridge link with BlackBerry headsets, they need to have these integrate with the BES/MVS so that a user sits down at a PlayBook Terminal and Bridges their BlackBerry which also acts as their phone extension, and user authentication. With NFC and GPS on BlackBerry's they can be used as Access keys to areas of the building, they can be used for time cards, and the users Phone extension follows them from place to place in the office, no more wired PBX systems,

RIM would require a partnership with Microsoft, to allow for a FULL office suite on the PlayBook, though the challenge here is they would be fighting and needing microsoft at the same time as they would be killing Windows Installation base.

The Future is not going to be massive desktops or laptops, more and more homes and offices will have central servers for data storage, the tablet will just bring back the dumb terminal of the 90's
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^
    That
    11-07-11 08:03 PM
    With all due respect, obviously as a Playbook owner I have to completely disagree with you. I think they should put the QNX phones on hold and focus on the Playbook's OS 2.0 delivery. Playbook first. Phones second.

As for a RIM desktop computer - absolutely not! Good lord, that has disaster written all over it.

As for an official dock for the Playbook that someone had mentioned - that could be useful.

As for the official Playbook keyboard - bring it out already, I want to buy one now!
    I also own a PlayBook (pre-ordered on day 1).
    11-07-11 08:10 PM
    Absolutely not. Right now they don't need anything distracting them from getting BBX out into the public. Maybe sometime in the future if they get things together.
    11-07-11 08:12 PM
    If Rim were to suddenly make a desktop computer, who would they compete against? Let's be honest, if Apple were to simply make a desktop that matches Rim's price point, which one do you think more people would purchase?

Not to mention HP, Dell, Acer, Toshiba, etc...

Right now, they should strickly focus on BBX, Playbook, and the upcoming BBX phones. Once they strengthen their positions there, then, maybe they can consider entering a new market.

Just my opinion.

"War Is All We Know"
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 11-07-11 at 08:23 PM.
    11-07-11 08:15 PM
    You should set up a Home server, then you can do everything wireless in the house, your PlayBook, and BlackBerry can sync to the server, heck you can connect your TV there, so music can be played using your TV, and surround sound, you can have redundancy with RAID and not have to worry about data loss.

RIM making a Desktop would not be your end all be all.
    I swear you could be the next RIM CEO. You should seriously think about becoming an employee or something. Just sayin'
    11-07-11 08:19 PM
    In order to compete head to head with Apple and Google, RIM will eventually have to expand QNX to other devices other than tablets and smartphones, so I wouldn't say it is out of the question.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-11 08:21 PM
    In order to compete head to head with Apple and Google, RIM will eventually have to expand QNX to other devices other than tablets and smartphones, so I wouldn't say it is out of the question.

Sounds like what HP did with WebOS. Look how well that turned out.
    11-07-11 08:22 PM
    No they should not. See how many things the Playbook lacked out of the gate and how long it is taking to deliver on that product. I think as far as they should go is something like an Blackberry TV, which if u think about it could be a PC of sorts connected to TV as the monitor and BT keyboard or mouse. Most monitors support HDMI now so u could even use it as a PC of sorts that way.

Not really... HP made one half baked effort at a WebOS tablet, other than that they have no attempted anything else with WebOS

11-07-11 08:24 PM
    I swear you could be the next RIM CEO. You should seriously think about becoming an employee or something. Just sayin'
    LOL

I can't afford to go back down to Entry level employee...

If they put out a posting on LinkedIN for CEO I'll apply
    hondateg91 likes this.
    11-07-11 08:25 PM
    LOL

I can't afford to go back down to Entry level employee...

If they put out a posting on LinkedIN for CEO I'll apply
    Petition for deRusett to replace Jim and Mike as CEO?
    hondateg91 and Superfly_FR like this.
    11-07-11 08:41 PM
    You should set up a Home server, then you can do everything wireless in the house, your PlayBook, and BlackBerry can sync to the server, heck you can connect your TV there, so music can be played using your TV, and surround sound, you can have redundancy with RAID and not have to worry about data loss.

The problem here is that, for most people, you are using words that don't exist: home server? RAID? Data loss? Heck, you might as well be talking about the New York Time's effect on man and try to figure out what that means.

There is a steep barrier for the non-technically inclined, and unless RIM makes it work with a double-click and nothing else, it won't work. If you look at Apple's AirPlay, it appears that many can't figure it out, and all it takes is an email address and a password, so anything more complicated is doomed.

But for the those who understand, you actually have a darned good idea there.
    11-07-11 10:47 PM
    The problem here is that, for most people, you are using words that don't exist: home server? RAID? Data loss? Heck, you might as well be talking about the New York Time's effect on man and try to figure out what that means.

There is a steep barrier for the non-technically inclined, and unless RIM makes it work with a double-click and nothing else, it won't work. If you look at Apple's AirPlay, it appears that many can't figure it out, and all it takes is an email address and a password, so anything more complicated is doomed.

But for the those who understand, you actually have a darned good idea there.
    I don't disagree, but I recall in University, and for a short while after I was invited over and given a case of beer to set up Wifi for people, Now you just press a button on a router and click on the laptop and it is done.

People are getting more technologically smart, and technology is getting easier, you can buy systems with RAID preset up these days. Either someone needs to start a small business setting things like this up for upper middle class families, or a technology company needs to make the components to make it simple plug and play with media enabled devices on the network.
    11-08-11 06:41 AM
    Well, I'd think BBX/QNX rather than RIM ...
    I was very surprised when I listened the devcon show. The way QNX has been demonstrated was wider than a "mobile OS", pretending being "the more" ... lots of things.
    I won't be surprised if QNX (owned by RIM) got released as an operating system; like a BES (light) companion. From there, manufacturing desktops ... I think they have other things to do right now.
    11-08-11 08:23 AM

hum ... a SuperCyclone ?
    BlackBerry Media Box Codename “BlackBerry Cyclone” Coming This Fall! – Netflix Ready and More!! | NerdBerry.net
    11-08-11 08:26 AM
    I would love for RIM to have an ecosystem like Apple, and Google too. I like how Apple products sync, work well together.
    11-08-11 02:12 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD