When I first heard of BlackBerry some years ago, I thought how cool it was that a brand had such a wholesome, organic name. Then I got a BlackBerry phone and my stomach lurched when I saw it was made by a company called RIM.

RIM is a horrible, dodgy sounding word, like FLANGE. At best it alludes to the rim of a toilet, ...

I can't help but feeling that 'made by RIM' makes it that much easier for some folks to scoff at the BlackBerry. The name RIM means little to the end user, for surely no one would announce to their friends that they were going to buy a 'RIM phone'. I flinch every time I see the word RIM, I feel queasy when ever I hear it.

BlackBerry has a cool, rhythmic sound to it, it rolls off the tongue and feels good on the ear, especially when people say 'Black Berry' and not 'BlackB'ree', though even that still sounds cooler and more individual than any Android device I've heard of.

The BlackBerry logo looks clever, the RIM (flinch) logo reminds me of analogue transistor technology.

I passionately want RIM to cease to exist in name. Does anyone feel otherwise or would you like to see the company rebranded as BlackBerry?
    K Bear and klondikeee like this.
    07-09-11 04:21 PM
    I have thought this ever since I heard of RIM. Not only does "Research In Motion," sound tacky, their logos all look stupid and outdated. I agree with you 100%, I think that "BlackBerry," as a brand name is really cool, I always have and that might even be where my love for BlackBerry started. I'm with you on this 100%.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    07-09-11 04:26 PM
    Honestly, I think that since Research in Motion no longer fits the company, rebranding it Blackberry might not be such a bad thing.
    07-09-11 04:39 PM
    Other than enthusiasts here on CrackBerry, "consumers" have no idea what Research In Motion even is. Most have probably never even heard of it. Therefore, I don't think a name change is warranted. BlackBerry is iconic and instantly recognizable as the premier mobile platform.
    07-09-11 04:58 PM
    I think they should change the company name to Blackberry. That's what they're known for and what the company is often called by many people - RIM doesn't have the same recognition.

However, the name change should only be made AFTER there have been major leadership changes in the company and when they've mapped out a new vision/strategy for the future. Making the name change before any real corporate change will reek of desperation as a last-ditch effort to save a sinking ship.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    07-09-11 05:02 PM
    i dont think it should be blackberry because RIM is much more than that and it needs to be seperate from the blackberry meaning. changing it from RIM wouldnt be bad though maybe
    LoganSix and jordandrews90 like this.
    07-09-11 05:09 PM
    Berklon, yes totally agree. I would have mentioned that but couldn't articulate it as well as you did.

Tonis, so if the consumer won't notice, then it won't hurt to flush the smelly name away for ever right? Maybe on here we are not the average consumer, but I see a huge community here, and with all the readers of the tech blogs and so on, I think many people know what RIM is, my non techy mate certainly do and it sure were not me that told 'em!

The word is just too easy to laugh at and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth, pun intended.
    07-09-11 05:11 PM
    There is no sinking ship, and a change in leadership is not necessary or forthcoming. Personally, I hope RIM sheds all the disgruntled complainers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-11 05:14 PM

Seriously, Tonis aside, the business is known thankfully as just Blackberry. Their marketing department shouldn't be given anything serious to do. They are too busy with the Playbook. They have train station booths to plan and a big shiney truck.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    07-09-11 05:22 PM
    A name change should be at the bottom of the laundry list of things RIM should focus on at this time. Priorities first. I do agree, though, that if RIM were called BlackBerry, it may be a better fit since consumers say BlackBerry is made by BlackBerry. :-/

07-09-11 05:29 PM
    There is no sinking ship, and a change in leadership is not necessary or forthcoming. Personally, I hope RIM sheds all the disgruntled complainers.

Yo T, good things to bring into the discussion. I am sure the ship will sail, I'm waiting for my moment to buy some stock.

But as you mention the disgruntled complainers, I think a great many of these are people who are familiar with, and who have experienced the awesomeness (I don't use that word lightly) of the BB platform. I think it would be easier to win these people back, and they are clearly ready to spend on devices, than it would to win new customers in a market crowded with players demonstrating more flare.
    07-09-11 06:07 PM
    There is no sinking ship, and a change in leadership is not necessary or forthcoming.
    Keep running the company the same way and the ship will indeed sink.

Personally, I hope RIM sheds all the disgruntled complainers.
    They already are, and they're moving to Android and Apple. You have a great business strategy - if your consumers complain, don't take it into consideration and adapt to their demands, just help them leave for a competing brand.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-09-11 06:09 PM
    Tonis, so if the consumer won't notice, then it won't hurt to flush the smelly name away for ever right? Maybe on here we are not the average consumer, but I see a huge community here, and with all the readers of the tech blogs and so on, I think many people know what RIM is, my non techy mate certainly do and it sure were not me that told 'em!

The word is just too easy to laugh at and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth, pun intended.
    Yea, perhaps the Research In Motion brand is more recognizable than not. I was going to say (but Amy beat me to it) that a name change just didn't seem like something that would be high on the list of priorities. Let's see what they do.

Yo T, good things to bring into the discussion. I am sure the ship will sail, I'm waiting for my moment to buy some stock.

But as you mention the disgruntled complainers, I think a great many of these are people who are familiar with, and who have experienced the awesomeness (I don't use that word lightly) of the BB platform. I think it would be easier to win these people back, and they are clearly ready to spend on devices, than it would to win new customers in a market crowded with players demonstrating more flare.
    I like your positive outlook. If it's easy to win 'em back, by all means do it. But I disagree that the BlackBerry platform or handset should be desecrated and turned into something that resembles iPhone, iOS, or the Android platform. I mean, there are idiotic voices on this forum calling for RIM to adopt the Android platform.
    07-09-11 06:19 PM
    Thanks T, I certainly align myself with you in that I don't to see a simplification of the BB OS either, but what I am suggesting with my OP is that shedding the name RIM would be a quick, cheap, totemistic move.

I mean on top of all their woes, being called RIM is hardly helping.

Am I placing too little faith in humanity's ability to resist a rude joke or is this realistic?
    07-09-11 06:30 PM
    ... what I am suggesting with my OP is that shedding the name RIM would be a quick, cheap, totemistic move.

I mean on top of all their woes, being called RIM is hardly helping.
    It would probably only require a board resolution.

Am I placing too little faith in humanity's ability to resist a rude joke?
    Unfortunately, probably not. I'm no prude -- with a background in electrical construction I've heard it all -- but I do try to remove myself from it. It's disheartening to see how anything these days can be perverted with such ease. I think it shows integrity when someone doesn't change something that's perfectly fine by polite society's standards only to accommodate the crass.
    Last edited by T�nis; 07-09-11 at 07:05 PM.
    07-09-11 07:02 PM
    Whats next? the laundry list of complaints is getting silly! It helps to put things in perspective though. All the bad press has a lot more to do with human nature than anything RIM has done wrong. Just the same once the new phones hit, lots of the angry posts will die down. Call them what you want, I don't think it matters to the bottom line.
    07-09-11 07:23 PM
    I agree with the Topic , the name RIM sounds wacky their logo the same also, they should use blackberry and abandon the RIM but it shoould be done after the co-CEOs are gone, and we see some qnx phones

07-10-11 08:49 AM
    I'm not sure I recognize the RIM logo as I'm busy fabbin' my BB. But considering what urban dictionary has to say about "rim", I wouldn't be too tempted in using it in a casual conversation let alone apply for a job at the company.
    All in all, I really agree on the lovely sound and atmosphere of BlackBerry. Much better than the Iphone, which always makes me think of the movie E.T.
    07-19-11 07:14 PM
    i was actually surprised it was another name! i thot it was the company name, lol
    07-19-11 08:57 PM
    I like that the company name is different from the product. it makes it easy to see who do not do their homework when they talk about RIM or their products.
    07-19-11 10:49 PM
    I always thought "Research In Motion" sounded kinda cool. It would appear I'm awfully outnumbered though.

07-20-11 02:21 AM
    01-30-12 12:10 PM
    Well they changed it today. RIM is dead, BlackBerry it is! Phew.
    01-30-13 09:53 AM
    A name change is just window dressing. It's not needed . The focus should be on ensuring that BB10 is a success.
    01-30-13 10:10 AM
    LOL you called it
    dodger_moore likes this.
    01-30-13 10:23 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD