I have been a reader for this site for a while; but I finally registered a forum account tonight. I current have a 8310 on loan from a close friend to test and see if I like it. This device is nice, but it is lacking some features that I am looking for. I have read and heard a lot of gossip about the 9000 coming out and all the feature it might have; but do any of you think it is worth waiting for?

If I learned anything from my time working at Cingular(before it changed over to the AT&T name), it is that anything can change. My girlfriend works in one of their tech support departments and she keeps me updated on new devices and features that are coming out. She has not heard anything about a 3G BlackBerry as of yet, but I cannot decide on whether it is worth the wait or not.

Would you wait for the 3G BlackBerry or go ahead and buy a new BlackBerry and hope a 3G does not come out?
    02-12-08 11:26 PM
    lol, what does the 8310 lack in features, if any at all? (aside from the obvious 3g, its still good enough)

and honestly, if you want a touchscreen device with oily fingerprints and rediculously shoddy production (even moreso than the curve), htc is your answer

i personally would get an 8320 and buy a gps puck, because the wifi capabilities are absolutely astonishing, but it probably wouldn't matter anyway considering you're with At&t
    Last edited by IronCurtain; 02-13-08 at 01:35 AM.
    02-13-08 01:32 AM
    Who really knows when the 9000 will actually come out. For example, the Sprint people have been waiting for ever for the Curve to come out and they still don't have an exact release date. There are so many rumors about release dates for new BB's but don't count on anything until the stores have them in stock.
    02-13-08 01:38 AM
    You could be waiting over a year for the 9000 series, they may even abandon the idea!
    02-13-08 03:28 AM
    I almost look at the 9000 series as an affordable plug-in electric car. They could get off their tales and build it now, but really its something that needs to be developed both technically and from a marketing standpoint. You might see a concept device at WES this year, but who knows if they stick with that.

RIM could go nuts and chuck the idea and just go with a slider design and a huge screen. That seems to be the common practice when you want to give someone a lot of screen space and a qwerty and not be an iPhone clone.

I would love to know what the 8310 is lacking for you. If you have a desire for a device with browsing abilities like the iPhone keep waiting. Or even HTML email there will be an update and you can buy software too. But I would just go with that 8310 wait 2 years and by then you are bound to be sitting on top some interesting devices from RIM. Definitely 3G, maybe a touch-screen, or maybe that slider design from the rumor mill. But why deprive yourself from Berry goodness now? Don't be like me, a poor sap waiting for the CDMA curve. If you are okay with going with ATT then go for it.
    02-13-08 04:00 AM
    just go for it. you won't regret it. you can always sell it and upgrade later, if you wanted to.
    02-13-08 06:38 AM
    I am not really looking for an iPhone type phone. After playing around with the phone, I really was not impressed. I was looking at the AT&T Tilt, but my girlfriend told me they have so many problems with that phone and told me to stear clear of it. This is why I decided to stay with a BlackBerry. The Curve is nice, I just wondered if it would be worth waiting for at least a 3G BB.

Does anyone else have an issue with setting up personal email on the curve? There is only an option for enterprise email or skipping the setup on the one I have right now. I wish it had Wi-Fi and a camera together, when I am out in the field and need to send quick pictures for work, it would be nice. Otherwise, I can look past the Wi-Fi missing. Too bad they do not make a Wi-Fi bluetooth device; I would be happy with that.

If BlackBerry put GPS, Wi-Fi and at least a camera like the Curve, I would be happier; but I have really enjoyed playing around with this device. I am already hooked, so I will probably stay with the Curve for now.
    02-13-08 07:39 AM
    I wouldn't wait...You never know with these things when they will decide to bring it out.
    02-13-08 09:07 AM
    I am not really looking for an iPhone type phone. After playing around with the phone, I really was not impressed. I was looking at the AT&T Tilt, but my girlfriend told me they have so many problems with that phone and told me to stear clear of it. This is why I decided to stay with a BlackBerry. The Curve is nice, I just wondered if it would be worth waiting for at least a 3G BB.

Does anyone else have an issue with setting up personal email on the curve? There is only an option for enterprise email or skipping the setup on the one I have right now. I wish it had Wi-Fi and a camera together, when I am out in the field and need to send quick pictures for work, it would be nice. Otherwise, I can look past the Wi-Fi missing. Too bad they do not make a Wi-Fi bluetooth device; I would be happy with that.

If BlackBerry put GPS, Wi-Fi and at least a camera like the Curve, I would be happier; but I have really enjoyed playing around with this device. I am already hooked, so I will probably stay with the Curve for now.
    From what I hear personal E-mail setup is a breeze. The model you have was probably set up for BES at one time, but if you were to buy your own you would most certainly be able to set up you own accounts with little effort.

As for wanting GPS and Wi-Fi and a camera you might be SOL. I don't know if you will ever get a model that has everything going on at full capacity. You could get a Wi-Fi curve, but I think the GPS is disabled (TMO).

It would be great if they just max-ed out phone capabilities, but it seems like you have to hold back something so that the other carriers can offer something different.
    02-13-08 11:28 AM
    From what I hear personal E-mail setup is a breeze. The model you have was probably set up for BES at one time, but if you were to buy your own you would most certainly be able to set up you own accounts with little effort.

As for wanting GPS and Wi-Fi and a camera you might be SOL. I don't know if you will ever get a model that has everything going on at full capacity. You could get a Wi-Fi curve, but I think the GPS is disabled (TMO).

It would be great if they just max-ed out phone capabilities, but it seems like you have to hold back something so that the other carriers can offer something different.
    Yeah, it would be nice to have it all in one; but what company really listens to their customers? AT&T certainly has a bad habit of not ever listening. I think I may go with the 8310 from AT&T since I currently have service with them and 95% of everyone I talk to has AT&T as well.

Of course, I might trash that and go with a different carrier so I can actually get insurance on the device I select. Thanks for the input.
    02-13-08 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD