Okay, I own two domains which are currently hosted by the company I bought them off; this company offers a basic Webmail interface and a choice of either an IMAP or POP e-mail server as part of their default hosting solution - my domains are currently set to use IMAP.

In the coming weeks I will be purchasing an Apple iMac that will be a dedicated server for various purposes, and soon after, two BlackBerry devices.

What I will primarily be expecting from my BlackBerry solution is “push“ e-mail, some form of remote contacts back-up and/or synchronization with a remote (client) computer and (e-mail) folder synchronization, like I currently have with my IMAP setup... Once the initial setup has been completed, I would prefer minimal involvement in the entire process, hopefully having it completed automated; I do not want to go through a third party.

What would be a better solution for me and why - a BlackBerry Enterprise Solution or a BlackBerry Internet Solution?

Also, what would be involved in the setup of the appropriate solution?

Cost is not too much of an issue (up to about $US5,000, not counting the computer) and the only point I am not willing to move on is that it HAS to be either an Apple iMac or Linux-based server (preferably the former) - NO MICROSOFT WINDOWS UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-08 07:03 PM
    I can tell you right now that RIM has no support for Linux and very little for Mac. I'm not sure if BES will be an option without Widows.
    01-12-08 07:36 PM
    Really?

I was always of the impression that RIM was very pro-Apple...

So if I HAD to go Microsoft Windows, what would I need?

Just Microsoft Windows Server and Microsoft Exchange Server, or is there more to it than that?

What's involved in the setup?

By the way, are you sure there's no support for Apple systems?
    Last edited by cyba.cowboy; 01-13-08 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Additional information
    01-13-08 12:22 AM
    I'm a relative noob, but I'll share what I know.

The final answer will come down to your own selection, as both can work for you. If you have very many email accounts to manage, BES will make administrative tasks simpler, especially if you're using exchange (though I understand from your comments that your aren't). Regarding BBs and Macs, I've heard mixed reviews.

My own opinion is that if you have the money BES makes since, though you can make it work with BIS.

HTH
    01-13-08 09:59 AM
    I say this, if you want to be able to sync wirelessly with contacts, tasks, notes and calendar items, then BES is the way to go...

Plus for emails it would be instant, but again, having Yahoo, GMail and or Hotmail (if you had an account before 2000), it would also be instant...
    01-13-08 10:24 AM
    Really?

I was always of the impression that RIM was very pro-Apple...

So if I HAD to go Microsoft Windows, what would I need?

Just Microsoft Windows Server and Microsoft Exchange Server, or is there more to it than that?

What's involved in the setup?

By the way, are you sure there's no support for Apple systems?
    1. I don't know the exact requirements for setting up a BES, but given that WIndows is the dominant force in the corporate world, I'll hazzard a guess that you'll need it to host a BES.

2. The only real support RIM has for Apple is software to allow you to sync your BB with a Mac. They don't even have a DM for Mac, so all Mac users need to boot into Windows or borrow a Windows machine anytime they want to update the OS on their device. I will say that the one piece of software offered to Mac users is a **** of a lot more than what Linux users get.
    01-13-08 02:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD