Hi,

I have read about the benefits of unlocking my phone, and those benefits listed didn't really suit me, but I think I may have found a reason depending on the response I get here.

I have subscribed to Telenav on my phone, through AT&T. After a little home work I have found that AT&T's version is missing tons of features that the actual Telenav version offers. i.e., additional tools, and specifically the compass and land speed.

If I were to unlock my phone, could I unistall AT&T's version, and redownload the telenav version, or maybe Verizon's version, (I see that they include said features) and install on my phone?

And lastly, if it would work, are there any CONS by unlocking, and/or reinstalling a different version of Telenav?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Scott
    06-18-08 01:59 AM
    If you unlock your phone, you may not be able to get all of AT&T's services critical to your Blackberry. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure how well your email will work or data through AT&T's network if you unlock the phone. I'm not quite sure how crucial Telenav is to you, but if you can manage without it somehow, I would strongly advise against unlocking a Blackberry.
    06-18-08 03:32 AM
    I think unlocking it is wasted money, but YMMV.
    No additional functionality, no additional software and no additional features. The only thing that you gain outside the US is the ability to use another telcom SIM if you do not want to use Cingular's international roaming. The only thing you gain in the US, is the ability to leave Cingular and go to say, T-Mobile - which you already noted.
    06-18-08 04:26 AM
    Good resale value, you get more for it if it is unlocked. It doesn't cost any money all you have to do is call AT&T and get the unlock codes. You can do it now or before you sell it either way.
    06-18-08 04:56 AM
    My 8320 is unlocked and I have not had any problem on t-mo's network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-08 05:28 AM
    it's up to you... but if you do this>>> http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html

then you can get BB maps...or you don't even have to do that and you can get google maps.... as the other guy said; the only advantage here is using another carriers sim
    06-18-08 05:57 AM
    If you unlock your phone, you may not be able to get all of AT&T's services critical to your Blackberry. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure how well your email will work or data through AT&T's network if you unlock the phone. I'm not quite sure how crucial Telenav is to you, but if you can manage without it somehow, I would strongly advise against unlocking a Blackberry.
    Totally untrue. Unlocking your phone has NO effect on your voice, email or data services. All unlocking does is allow you to use a SIM from a different carrier, or a prepaid SIM. Your current service is unaffected. My 8310 is unlocked and works just fine.
    06-18-08 09:51 AM
    Wow, thanks for all the great replies, and so quick as well.

But could someone answer my question about Telenav?

Scott
    06-18-08 03:06 PM
    I'm not sure if you could or not..but most ppl use other services than the tele-nav
    06-18-08 03:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD