There are a few threads on this topic but mine is particular. I've been out of contract with T-Mobile for about 3 years now. I'm due an upgrade I know. I haven't used it of course. Well I was on a "grandfathered" plan of unlimited voice for $49.99 and bb data+unlimited texts for $34.99. Well I strayed to an Android phone for only a week and switched back. Of course my old plan became null and void (doh!) and the new one is still $49.99 voice but now it's $30 for bb data and $14.99 texts. It's only a $10 difference but I'm thinking I should just go over to AT&T and pick up a Torch. The coverage here is the same for both. Any thoughts?
    12-26-10 09:02 PM
    My best advice is to always pick the carrier first. After you are sure of the carrier, tha. You can choose the device. If AT&T has strong coverage, than go for it. The only thing that send me packing from AT&T is the limited data plans. There is no unlimited choice. You can pick from 200 mb or 2 gb. That's it. I dig Verizon because is their 3G coverage and true unlimited plans.
    12-26-10 09:26 PM
    as far as carriers go, Verizon can't be beat for overall coverage. to me, that's far more important than having a particular phone that might be on some other carrier. carrier first, phone second, is my motto. phones always change. Each carrier's coverage is pretty much a constant--some might improve a bit here and there, but by and large Verizon has the best network.
    12-26-10 09:41 PM
    Crap I didn't think of the limited data. Hmm 2gb is all AT&T has? I watch YouTube a lot during my down time. I also use Google Maps and search a lot. Im sure that is over 2gb a month easy.
    12-26-10 09:43 PM
    You would be surprised.....2GB is hard to hit on a smartphone. 95% of AT&T customers with data plans stay under the cap
    12-26-10 09:45 PM
    There are a few threads on this topic but mine is particular. I've been out of contract with T-Mobile for about 3 years now. I'm due an upgrade I know. I haven't used it of course. Well I was on a "grandfathered" plan of unlimited voice for $49.99 and bb data+unlimited texts for $34.99. Well I strayed to an Android phone for only a week and switched back. Of course my old plan became null and void (doh!) and the new one is still $49.99 voice but now it's $30 for bb data and $14.99 texts. It's only a $10 difference but I'm thinking I should just go over to AT&T and pick up a Torch. The coverage here is the same for both. Any thoughts?
    You might want to call CS at TMO and speak to retentions. They might be able to switch you back to your old plan.
    12-26-10 09:47 PM
    On an iPhone 4 I had to watch my data usage carefully. Every month i was right at the cap. Upon switching to Verizon, I had a few Android phones and i was hitting 4gb every month. Now with similar usage, on a BB, I use around 500 mb. I do use my iPad at home for most of my browsing now though.
    12-26-10 09:51 PM
    You might want to call CS at TMO and speak to retentions. They might be able to switch you back to your old plan.
    Didn't know that was possible. The Rep I talked to just told me my plan wasn't available. When I mentioned I was going to explore my options with other carriers she kinda said "ok, good luck".
    12-26-10 10:06 PM
    Didn't know that was possible. The Rep I talked to just told me my plan wasn't available. When I mentioned I was going to explore my options with other carriers she kinda said "ok, good luck".
    Call them back and ask to be transferred to retentions. They might not be able to reinstate your old plan, but you won't know until you speak directly to that department.
    12-26-10 10:10 PM
    Ok. I will try retention. I'm seriously thinking about my data usage now. I may need to check my bill and see how much data I average per month. I'm thinking it's right about 2gb or a little over.
    12-26-10 10:22 PM
    $30 for unlimited BB data and $15 for unlimited texts? There's a plan that's unlimited data and messages for $35.
    12-26-10 10:27 PM
    You would be surprised.....2GB is hard to hit on a smartphone. 95% of AT&T customers with data plans stay under the cap
    Wow! A Mod who's been a CB Forums member for almost 3 years and only has 24 posts. WTF?
    12-26-10 10:29 PM
    Ok. I will try retention. I'm seriously thinking about my data usage now. I may need to check my bill and see how much data I average per month. I'm thinking it's right about 2gb or a little over.
    You might be surprised at how little you use. I don't watch a lot of youtube, but I'm surfing, texting and emailing every day and I use less than 1GB/month.

Also, post your results with retentions. I hope it works out for you.
    Last edited by oldtimeBBaddict; 12-26-10 at 10:33 PM. Reason: reconfiguring one of my ten thumbs
    12-26-10 10:30 PM
    My wife's data usage is so low on her Storm2, that I recently dropped her plan to the $15/150MB plan, saving 1/2 of the data charges we've been paying for almost a year. I had no idea that Verizon even had such a plan, until the day I made the switch.

Her typical usage falls between 15 and 50MB/mo--well below the 150MB plan.
    12-26-10 10:38 PM
    $30 for unlimited BB data and $15 for unlimited texts? There's a plan that's unlimited data and messages for $35.
    Right that's the plan I had up until last week. It's changed to the $30+$15 now. Or so I was told.
    12-26-10 10:51 PM
    I am looking at the TMo site now.
    It says there is an unlimited everything for $99.99.

AT&T is a total rip off.
    At least Verizon is expensive but has the network to back it up.
    12-26-10 11:03 PM
    Crap I didn't think of the limited data. Hmm 2gb is all AT&T has? I watch YouTube a lot during my down time. I also use Google Maps and search a lot. Im sure that is over 2gb a month easy.
    I consistently break 7 gb on mine. I am on it a lot & download a lot of video & audio podcasts, podtrapper will do that to ya. Check out Sprint, I notice your in the St.Louis area, I go through there a lot & coverage is fantastic plus wimax is up in St.Louis (not that BB has a wimax device yet) Also Sprints unlimited plans cant be beat by any of the big carriers.
    12-26-10 11:04 PM
    Wow! A Mod who's been a CB Forums member for almost 3 years and only has 24 posts. WTF?
    yes I noticed that also
    12-26-10 11:08 PM
    I am looking at the TMo site now.
    It says there is an unlimited everything for $99.99.

AT&T is a total rip off.
    At least Verizon is expensive but has the network to back it up.
    I've been with Cingular/AT+T for 6 years and get good service and it will get even better in the next 2 years with the billions they're spending to upgrade the network. I usually stick with a company I like. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-10 01:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD